CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:
Kipping weighted pullups

Well...I was watching the games the other day, and realized I had only seen the men workout, but not the girls. I watched the skills 2 vid of the women and my jaw dropped when I saw most of them (if not all) doing kipping weighted pullups...I don't support kipping, however it has its place in CF training...but kipping weighted pullups? Isn't that just asking for an injury? That skill workout was about strength, doesn't kipping defeat the whole purpose? or am I wrong here?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Michael E Tancini

Profile:
Re: Kipping weighted pullups

for training strength kipping should have no part, in competition or training endurance I would say that kipping is accepted, for certain events in competitions like the one you mentioned its get to the full range of motion by any means necessary and if thats by kipping then so be it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Bad idea in my opinion. Too much injury potential and it doesn't really contribute to getting stronger.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Kipping weighted pull ups

The test was a max effort chest-to-bar weighted pull-up. It is the same idea as a power clean or the Olympic lifts. Got to be explosive to get max weight up. So they are really doing kipping singles which is far less stress on shoulder then if they were linking together weighted kipping pull-ups.

It is commonly accepted that injury risks are increased in high level competition in efforts to win. This is true in almost all sports. It certainly is true in the CrossFit Games finals. Just getting there once is an amazing achievement. No reason to hold back.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Did any of you guys catch the O-lifting guy that dislocated his elbow in the last olympic games? or how about when Rich Froning dropping off the rope climbs last year?? My point is those risk are acceptable in competition I highly doubt that they train that way. Because its either go all out or go home at that point, probably what separates good CrossFitters from Elite ones.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
The test was a max effort chest-to-bar weighted pull-up. It is the same idea as a power clean or the Olympic lifts. Got to be explosive to get max weight up. So they are really doing kipping singles which is far less stress on shoulder then if they were linking together weighted kipping pull-ups.

It is commonly accepted that injury risks are increased in high level competition in efforts to win. This is true in almost all sports. It certainly is true in the CrossFit Games finals. Just getting there once is an amazing achievement. No reason to hold back.
Power clean is a legit exercise, kipping pullups are not. They might mimic the explosiveness of an olympic lift, but it doesn't make it an effective exercise. Truth be told, kipping is a system to get more reps, and achieve some conditioning to an extent.

Injury risks are accepted, but doing kipping pullups is simply asking for an injury.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances Ballesteros View Post
Power clean is a legit exercise, kipping pullups are not. They might mimic the explosiveness of an olympic lift, but it doesn't make it an effective exercise. Truth be told, kipping is a system to get more reps, and achieve some conditioning to an extent.

Injury risks are accepted, but doing kipping pullups is simply asking for an injury.
1. Can you please explain to everybody on this forum exactly why a kipping pullup is not a "legitimate exercise?"

2. And please explain what criteria have to be met before a exercise is "Legitimate exercise" Feel free to post links to back up your statement
Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances Ballesteros View Post

Not again!

Seriously I've seen 4 year old gymnasts performing kipping pull-ups...as long as you are smart about how you are training this exercise is just fine.

I agree that for a single rep there isn't that much risk to the kip..the risk would be dropping into the bottom while doing multiple reps. But most of those folks didn't even perform the eccentric.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
1. Can you please explain to everybody on this forum exactly why a kipping pullup is not a "legitimate exercise?"

2. And please explain what criteria have to be met before a exercise is "Legitimate exercise" Feel free to post links to back up your statement
I believe a controlled kipping pull up can be of value. Doing 100+ as fast as possible.....

I also believe that the butterfly version is for nothing more than time.

The biggest problem I see with kipping pull ups is that people are being taught how to do them before developing the strength to do a strict pull up, and then they ask why their strict pull ups aren't improving, and why their shoulders and elbows are this and that.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
I believe a controlled kipping pull up can be of value. Doing 100+ as fast as possible.....

I also believe that the butterfly version is for nothing more than time.

The biggest problem I see with kipping pull ups is that people are being taught how to do them before developing the strength to do a strict pull up, and then they ask why their strict pull ups aren't improving, and why their shoulders and elbows are this and that.
I could do 28 stict Pullups before I ever learnt how to kip so my opinion about them hurting your shoulder/ elbows may be biased.

I agree that taking somebody with 0 Stict pullups and trying to get them to kip is probs not the best way to go about things. I think like most things a solid base is needed before jumping up in weight or the difficulty of exercise. (IE being able to do HSPUs before going onto Ring HSPU) I am in no way saying you need X number of strict before you can do Kipping as that is a very individual issue.

However for people like Spealler and those with strong healthy shoulders and elbows butterfly pullups are in no way dangerous, and Increase work capacity which is the whole Idea of Crossfit.