CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
Zac Metz

Profile:
Shipping to Hawaii

So I've been doing some research and I am hoping to start building my home gym here in the near future, but one major issue I am having is finding reasonable shipping to Hawaii. Here (on Oahu) there is only 1 store that would be considered a "CrossFit oriented" shop. They have more or less outrageous prices for everything as they have a decent monopoly out here. I have done a bit of research and even with shipping I can get a Rogue S2 with a few attachments out here cheaper than their retail. I am hoping to find some companies that do free shipping on orders above $500 or even $1000 if I need to spend it to get the shipping. Anyone hear of any place like this that still makes reasonable equipment?

Oh and side note - craigslist is essentially useless because I would have to be actively browsing and responding as soon as something is posted to pick up any quality gear out here. So unless I get REALLY lucky thats a no go right off the bat.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Sid Cranston

Profile:
Re: Shipping to Hawaii

I would find a welding shop and get some custom fabrication done for a squat stand. Just a thought. I am also not stateside (in Mexico) and going mad trying to find 1 kg or 2.5 pound plates. I find them all over but they have the small diameter holes which is no bueno for an oly bar.

Also, another thought is that you could make it bolt-together instead of welded if you want the option of breaking down and storing with minimal space requirements. When I decide where I am going to be living permanently, I will probably do the same thing instead of ordering. If you ask nicely, you might be able to get Rogue to send you the engineering drawings for the assembly if you want to use their exact dimensions and product design. Then again, maybe not- but it costs nothing to ask.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
Zac Metz

Profile:

Well, I think I have solved my rack problem. A buddy just finished a wooden DIY rack and it's solid. Tested to 400 lbs on the rack and pull-ups are no problem on the pull-up bar. I almost finished my plyo box tonight, couple more screws and a bit of sanding tomorrow and it's done. Big problem now is weights. It's looking like I am gonna try and grab a men's and women's bar and then just 45, 25, and 10lb bumpers and go iron on the rest. That should cut a great deal of shipping cost down if I have to ship.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

About the only thing you really need for CF is a bar and bumpers. and even the bumpers are negotiable. Ditch the 10 lb bumpers and go with steel. 45 lb and 25 lb bumpers should be affordable, but still expensive. You might approach one of the boxes there on the island and see if you can buy any bumpers or other equipment from them. that's what I did here in Japan, a local box sold me pairs of every weight for $250. They may even let you throw in some of the things you want with their next box purchase. it would save you on shipping. You can make everything else, just search for it on Google or Youtube.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Koa Meador-Levy

Profile:

I had the same issue with a few items. We moved back home to Hawaii from Fort Campbell KY so we had the movers ship all of our already owned gear. When I got orders I ended up buying a few choice items before the movers came.

If I was you I would look locally. there are a few good fab shops in Waipahu that can make you a stand or squat rack.