CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Vincent Miceli

Profile:
Flat Feet

I have extremely flat feet. Has anyone found that putting orthodics in their OLY shoes has help with form, strength ETC
Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Kiel Stuart

Profile:
Re: Flat Feet

I have flat feet as well. No orthodics will ever change the shape of my body, but they will kink it and cause problems somewhere else if not with my feet, particularly when working under loading, lifting or running.

My body took 27 years to take the shape it is now, plastic inserts for my shoes will only cause problems.

It's surgery (if possible) or play the hand you were dealt. Flat feet suck for running but make you a gun in the water if you get your technique down.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Jason Newland

Profile:

If you're a member of the MobilityWod Pro site, there is a great video on learning how to correct flat feet.

I've been working on it myself, as I was cursed with flat feet too. Seems to be helping.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2013/05/t...feet-solution/
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Vincent Miceli

Profile:

Thank you! My doctor told me the same thing, "you were born with flat feet, plastic inserts wont help you"
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Michael MacDowell

Profile:

I too have flat feet. My pediatrician told my Mother I'd never be an "athlete" because of it. Well...I've never stopped playing sports since. Every sport imaginable. I have never found my feet to be a hindrance. Even sprinting, medium and long distance running is not a problem.

Maybe there's something to the science of why flat feet is a supposed "curse" but I've never been willing to accept that. CrossFit has been no exception either. I do it every single day and never blame my feet for any shortcomings. Those are called Goats and I work on them harder.

Sorry for those that find flat feet to be such a curse and good luck overcoming them!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Jason Newland

Profile:

For everyone (including myself) with flat feet...when you're just stand straight up, look down. Where are your feet pointed? I'm guessing that they point out at an angle.

Bring them closer to pointing straight out. Does that help shift the weight from the inner collapsed arch area over to the outer area (where it is supposed to be)?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Vincent Miceli

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Newland View Post
For everyone (including myself) with flat feet...when you're just stand straight up, look down. Where are your feet pointed? I'm guessing that they point out at an angle.

Bring them closer to pointing straight out. Does that help shift the weight from the inner collapsed arch area over to the outer area (where it is supposed to be)?
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Blaise Davis

Profile:

"It is generally accepted by professionals that a person with flat feet tends to overpronate in his or her running form."
"Pronation, Explained." Runner's World Aug 2004.

A 2005 study of Royal Australian Air Force recruits that tracked the recruits over the course of their basic training found that neither flat feet nor high arched feet had any impact on physical functioning, injury rates or foot health. If anything, there was a tendency for those with flat feet to have fewer injuries. Another study of 295 Israel Defense Forces recruits found that those with high arches suffered almost four times as many stress fractures as those with the lowest arches.
Esterman A, Pilotto L. (July 2005). "Foot shape and its effect on functioning in Royal Australian Air Force recruits. Part 1: Prospective cohort study". Military Medicine 170 (6): p. 623–8. PMID 16130646.
Giladi M, Milgrom C, Stein M, et al. The low arch, a protective factor in stress fractures: a prospective study of 295 military recruits. Orthop Rev 1985;14:82–4.

Conclusion I think is all different type of arches have their pros and cons. I don't see it as an advantage or disadvantage. Wear a shoe with some medial support and cushioning if you have pain while running or have bad form. I have also heard of working out with bare feet and gradually adding thicker inserts to create an arch but I don't see how this could help much if you were done growing already, but maybe it could help a little. Shouldn't be an excuse though overall, hope this helps.

Last edited by Blaise Davis : 08-29-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Kiel Stuart

Profile:

It's definitely not a disability, but the same people with flat feet would perform better in certain functions if their feet weren't flat. It has to do with the way energy is stored in the structure of your feet and body when you run.

Sort of like why prosthetic running limbs are curved and not a right angled L shape.

There are still people with flat feet who will perform better in activities such as running than those who don't have flat feet due to the fact that their physiology is just better suited, flat feet aside. But give that better performing flat foot arched feet and their performance would be improved further.

There's no reason to hate yourself for having flat feet, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we said it didn't make a difference.

Like some people are just naturally built for running, small and very lean, others built for lifting, large and solid. Neither is better than the other, just different. The flip side to every strength is a weakness.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiel Stuart View Post

Like some people are just naturally built for running, small and very lean, others built for lifting, large and solid. Neither is better than the other, just different. The flip side to every strength is a weakness.
word