CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
William Miller

Profile:
Learning Olympic Lifts

What would you suggest to someone that wants to learn the Olympic lifts essentially from scratch and does not have access to a coach? Cal Strength progressions? Burgner warmup? Other? Should they get the "lifts" down PVC before progressing or use a bar possibly lightly weighted?

I am not sure what is best to suggest as I struggle with the lifts myself.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Learning Olympic Lifts

PVC is used to warm up. IMO, hard to practice any lift with just that. Use the barbell.

As for the rest of the questions, there are much smarter people on here to answer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Miller View Post
What would you suggest to someone that wants to learn the Olympic lifts essentially from scratch and does not have access to a coach? Cal Strength progressions? Burgner warmup? Other? Should they get the "lifts" down PVC before progressing or use a bar possibly lightly weighted?

I am not sure what is best to suggest as I struggle with the lifts myself.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
John C Corona

Profile:

Learning the lifts without a coach is probably like cooking meth with an internet recipe and not being a chemist, you might get an end product, but it probably would be that good of quality, and you might blow yourself up in the process (sorry, I watch Breaking Bad).

It sounds like you can deadlift, front squat, overhead squat, and push press? Hopefully you do these well, or have been doing them for some time.

Its going to be all about watching videos, go practice, watch more, practice, repeat a few million times. I will say the Burg Warmup helped me at 1st. Yeah, pvc is wierd, but I still think its important for muscle memory to hit each position. But you have a rough road if you dont know if your hitting the positions properly. The lifts can be broken down, like 1) floor to knee, 2) explode from knee to pockets, 3) jumping your butt off, then an immediate pulling of yourself under the bar. But dude, there's so much more to it.

Really though, save up, and get a class or two from an affiliate (see if they can do an oly only session), or oly coach, for an hour, maybe two. This could set you right for some months, then practice, then go again some months later.

If not, video yourself, and post in the digital coach section.

In the digital coaching section, Glenn Pendlay posted this video (wfs)...Such a great breakdown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxJqz...ature=youtu.be

You should seek out videos like that to learn from. Watch them before you go lift. Watch every single video you tube has, where elite lifters are lifting, like the olympics for example.

Good luck.

Last edited by John C Corona : 08-19-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

PVC is **** for the clean and the jerk. It's alright for the Snatch.

A lot of gyms cut PVC that is wider than a bar would be so you can't hook grip. Not a big deal, really.

Personally, I do not like using PVC for even the warmup for Snatch Drills. I have to be mindful to really cut back on the 2nd pull hip explosion since the PVC weighs nothing and does not counterbalance you as even an empty 20kg bar will when you hit the Jon North "Arch Angel" position. I ended up taking some spills to my *** on the platform and so I do not even try with PVC anymore. It's fine if you want to go super slow though.

Some weight, such as a PVC weighted stick or one of those by Rogue, works a lot better so it actually has something to it. For myself, a bar is light enough but that becomes a problem with the older or weaker folks, a lot of the gals, and children.

Take a look at the CalStrength/Glenn Pendlay progression. It will also teach you the first pull which the Burg Warmup does not go over. I still do like the Burg WU, except the "shrug." I might omit those drills.

One of the key things on your own will be not be concerned with the 1st pull for awhile. If anything keep the 1st and 2nd pull seperate. Pull from the floor, stop at bottom or above knee (good to work both). Then pull to hip and explode.

It might be good in a sense to pull like the Chinese tend to do in the 1st pull. Slow and just preparing to get set up for the 2nd pull.

Greg Everett and Glenn Pendlay's forum are pretty good to get critique and Greg often critiques on his own forum. Glenn's also has a handful of other really knowledgeable coaches that might chime in.

If you are going to try and save up and get some private work in with an Olympic coach, try to find one with Olympic Lifting experience out of a USAW club. Be very skeptical about finding any help out of your local CF box even if they have gone to the CF Olympic Lifting cert. Even if it's a USAW club, you have to be a bit skeptical but less so than just if it's out of a CF gym.

As well, when picking a coach, choose one style by a coach rather than trying to look at various styles/systems and blend it all together. It will make your head dizzy. Pick one and stick to it.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Catalyst Athletics produces an excellent DVD that teaches progressions on both lifts.

I think it best to follow one source so you don't get confused.

Very reasonably priced and well done. I highly recommend it.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
William Miller

Profile:

Thanks everyone. I will pass along the info.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
John C Corona

Profile:

I just saw these videos posted by Andrew Bell in another thread, awesome progressions which are identical to Pendlays seminar. Thanks Glenn.
wfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SjuAOjMEk&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DlbzKziJM&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gOEVmzKUhQ0
Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
I just saw these videos posted by Andrew Bell in another thread, awesome progressions which are identical to Pendlays seminar. Thanks Glenn.
wfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SjuAOjMEk&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DlbzKziJM&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gOEVmzKUhQ0
Glad to help.