CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Joe Migliorini

Profile:
CFFB: Amateur Progression

Hi everyone, I'm new to crossfit. Currently I'm about #200 which is about #25 overweight for a decent 15% body fat composition given my lean body mass.

I haven't lifted weights in a year, and while I would like to jump into crossfit right away, I would first like to lose the excess fat and build my strength back to a respectable level (for me) before diving in.

My first thought was to do the starting strength routine for the summer to build my strength back up and relearn some of the important lifts. I would also like to retain some sort of cardio conditioning along the way but did not want to mess with Mark's program.

Enter CFFB's "Amateur Progression." This program looks just about perfect for me. It contains a linear progression portion for the lifts as well as a running component.

Unfortunately, in the journal entry nothing is mentioned about the runs or how they should progress. From the video I can see that:

Run A: Volume 8-12 (Paced)
Run B: Max Effort 4-6 (Full Recovery)

And that they are to be done on the squat days. I have no Idea if the video has a follow up to explain the run or not. The journal does not appear to be in parts as the entry makes no mention of "part 1" or anything.

So, can anyone from CFFB explain how the runs should be implemented into the program or at least let me know whether or not there will be a follow up video?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: CFFB: Amateur Progression

Honestly, you should first figure out if you want to lose body fat or get strong. If you are relatively weak, you can do both, but if you have any decent strength, you will stall out pretty fast if you try to lose some body fat.

The only way to lose body fat is to go on a cut. Use a program like myfitnesspal and figure out how many calories you should eat to lose 1# per week. You should also follow a good strength program while on a cut so you don't lose any muscle. And at least 30% of you food should be protein.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

If you look at CFFB's amateur programming, there is very little distance running. There are sprints, but they are spaced out. I cannot watch the journal video right now but as far as checking out the programming offered on the site, the Run A and Run B thing don't exist.

Normally you do your lifts for that day and the DWOD and sometimes that DWOD (conditioning WOD) includes sprints or is sprints.

CFFB is about getting big, strong, and fast. You will probably lose fat on CFFB. My big concern is that you won't lose the fat as fast as you'd like and, as a result, you'll start eating less or adding more work. From there it's a downward spiral of you not making your lifts, getting discouraged, and starting back at square 1. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's a probable scenario if you really want to lose fat and aren't doing it fast enough on CFFB.

In conclusion, CFFB isn't ideal for losing fat...you're going to have to eat a lot and control your conditioning volume in order to gain strength. CFFB will make you stronger and more conditioned if you let it and will probably make you lose SOME fat and improve your body composition. I just dont know how important your fat levels are in comparison to your performance goals.

If the fat thing is your biggest concern then go on caloric restriction and do a program with more metcon. Did you see the post about leangains on www.talktomejohnnie.com (Not WFS, language and some racy pictures) ? You might want to check that out.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Joe Migliorini

Profile:

Thanks for the replies.

My main goal here is to lose fat without being a complete weakling once I reach my BF% goal (15%). I'm not in a massive hurry and I realize it will take about 4-5 months to lose the actual body fat.

Currently I'm zoning at 15 blocks and will increase that to about 17 blocks with a post workout shake once I begin the above program.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Paulo Santos

Profile:

What is your current bodyfat? I went from 24-17 in about 12 weeks doing what I described above and I follow a powerlifting type workout (conjugate-CrossFit). My strength has stayed the same while losing the bodyfat.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Joe Migliorini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
What is your current bodyfat? I went from 24-17 in about 12 weeks doing what I described above and I follow a powerlifting type workout (conjugate-CrossFit). My strength has stayed the same while losing the bodyfat.
It's about 22-23%
Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Migliorini View Post
It's about 22-23%
Then do CrossFit Football 4 days a week and track your calories.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
Brian Seagraves

Profile:

The Journal video lays out the template, but following the actual program straight from the source - doing the DWOD, and SWOD - each day would be best.

Check it out: http://www.crossfitfootball.com (WFS)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Joe Migliorini

Profile:

I appreciate the help guys, but I think there may be some confusion here. I am NOT trying to follow CFFB's regular SWOD/DWOD training program. What I'm trying to do is follow their "Amateur Progression" program as outlined by a crossfit journal released last week. Included in this program is a run portion. I'm simply looking for clarification for this run portion or confirmation that there will be a follow up journal entry to explain it. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Migliorini View Post
I appreciate the help guys, but I think there may be some confusion here. I am NOT trying to follow CFFB's regular SWOD/DWOD training program. What I'm trying to do is follow their "Amateur Progression" program as outlined by a crossfit journal released last week. Included in this program is a run portion. I'm simply looking for clarification for this run portion or confirmation that there will be a follow up journal entry to explain it. Thanks.
The amateur progression is a template that CFFB uses that they published so that other football coaches can use it and perhaps target more specifically toward their players.

CFFB's website shows a amateur, collegiate and professional SWOD on the right hand side of their website each day. If there's any confusion I suggest you run the amateur SWOD and DWOD each day there. The running component is mostly agility drills and short intervals, it's all programmed on there for you each day so that you needn't worry.

As you get stronger, your base caloric requirement per day increases and thats when bodyfat will start to fall off you on the proviso that your food intake is good.