CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Justin Heller

Profile:
Re: Making Stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Pires View Post
interesting using 10lb plates to add weight. Any chance you could tell us the diameter and weight on stone so i can figure out how much weight it actually added over a pure concrete stone?

I am looking to make a 200lb stone from a 16" mold. According to slater, adding about 30# lead would make about a 200# stone. (that insert would be $40 to $55 plus shipping!)

I suppose comparing density of lead and iron would give me the answer.
I added 50 lbs of weight (five 10# plates) to a 16" mold. The 16" mold weighs about 175# with just concrete so give or take, the stone I made weighs 225#. Probably not exact but it didn't really need to be for my purposes. Just find some old plates on craigslist or something for cheap.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Justin Heller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
You don't have to. What you can do instead is buy some thin wooden dowels and cut them to the diameter of your mold. So if your mold has a 12" diameter, cut the dowel into about 5-6 pieces each 12" in length. Now shove the dowels through the foam ball at all different angles and place the ball in the mold. The dowels will press on all sides of the mold equally and keep the ball in the center. It works pretty good.

Did I explain that good enough or is it still unclear?
I like this idea, I am going to try it.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #13
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Maybe a stupid question- but does 250lbs of wet concrete cure to give you a 250lb stone?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
Justin Heller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
Maybe a stupid question- but does 250lbs of wet concrete cure to give you a 250lb stone?
That's a good question and I haven't took the time to weigh the difference. I would imagine you lose a few pounds as the concrete dries over time.

My next project is to try a 10" ball inside a 14" mold in an attempt to get a 75 pound stone but I am concerned about only having a 2 inch area of concrete around the foam ball, and whether this will break.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
Casey Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
250 lbs of wet concrete will net you nearly 250 lbs of dry concrete. If mixed in the proper proportions, concrete only has enough water added to hydrate the portland cement. The hydration of the portland cement is an exothermic (gives off heat) reaction so there will be a slight loss in water content during the initial curing process. This is also dependent on your air temp/humidity contions during pouring. Regular concrete is composed of portland cement, sand, gravel, and only enough water to make the mixture workable (make sure its thoroughly mixed). Less is more when it comes to water and concrete.

As an fyi, ~90% of a concrete's strength should be had after 7 days. 100% strength isn't achieved until 28 days. This is all based on laboratory testing in perfect conditions. I've had concrete cure to 75% - 90% strength in the first week when done in the field.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
Jeff Binek

Profile:

The hardest part is looking at them everyday, sitting there, 'curing'....just WANTING, NEEDING to be lifted!...I couldn't take it and did some shoulders, gently setting them down yesterday (which was difficult)
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
Robert Orlando

Profile:

I just spent the past 45 minutes writing a great post about pouring stones and then when I went to submit it the system told me I wasn't logged in.

I'm not re-writing the entire post. If you feel inclined to write me an email with questions about pouring stones, using inserts(metal, lead, or foam) or anything else concerning stones please hit me at rob@strongmanwod.com

I will post all those questions and answers on my blog.

I've poured thousands of stones and have tried literally everything to make stones heavier or lighter. Short answer---it doesn't work. Use solid pours and they will last forever.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
Kevin Steel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Orlando View Post
I just spent the past 45 minutes writing a great post about pouring stones and then when I went to submit it the system told me I wasn't logged in.

I'm not re-writing the entire post. If you feel inclined to write me an email with questions about pouring stones, using inserts(metal, lead, or foam) or anything else concerning stones please hit me at rob@strongmanwod.com

I will post all those questions and answers on my blog.

I've poured thousands of stones and have tried literally everything to make stones heavier or lighter. Short answer---it doesn't work. Use solid pours and they will last forever.
Rob, what is the link to your blog? I did not find it on the Hybrid site.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Steel View Post
Rob, what is the link to your blog? I did not find it on the Hybrid site.
he probably means this one:
http://strongmanwod.com/ (wfs, except maybe comments)
Old 06-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Brandon Nugent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Steel View Post
Makes sense. All the pictures of foam balls for stones are shown with dowels in them.

Today I picked up 5000 psi concrete with fibers pre-added. pretty stoked for the new toys!
A light bulb just went off! THANK-YOU!

I've been experimenting with strings, wire, etc. wood dowels would work perfectly!

Brilliant.

I need to spend more time on this forum.

Cheers,
-Brandon