CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Adam Castagno

Profile:
Wow I suck...

So I am a few weeks into CF and am enjoying the workouts, I am doing it on my own so I know that I am somewhat limited in help, and equip... I am just using what I can at my current gym.

Anyway after starting to work in some of these Oly lifts I realized I really suck at them... are they something that comes with practice. I assume the answer is yes. I did the snatch workout today and for an athletic 180lb guy I could barely snatch 95lbs... what gives... I am also working on cleans. I have watched plenty of youtube vids and been through various websites to learn proper form and technique, anyone know any other ideas to get better? I def don't mind putting in the time and practice, however only other question is how does one get better when I might not see a snatch/clean etc movement for another couple of weeks since WOD are forever changing?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Wow I suck...

The snarky answer is that olympic weightlifting is a complete discipline by itself, and people spend years getting good at it. If you want to get really good -- at anything -- you need to put in the time.

The somewhat less snarky answer is that you should be doing skill and strength work in addition to the WODs anyway. If you want to get better at the snatch and clean and jerk, find the time to work on them. In person coaching will make your life a lot easier, but if that's not an option, post some videos here so that people can comment on your form.

Katherine
Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Adam Castagno

Profile:

I actually do want to work in oly/power lifts with my WOD just trying to figure out how since I am worried I will do something like deads and then the next days WOD will include something like tons of back extensions. Also since I am new, I feel like A doing strength work prior to WOD might screw me over, and B doing a strength workout after a WOD I will just be too gassed... I actually posted this predicament I am having in the new section, looking for advice on how to do this... I really want to work on both, esp since CF requires a lot of Oly lifts that I know I won't understand unless I put a lot of time in with them.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
I actually do want to work in oly/power lifts with my WOD just trying to figure out how since I am worried I will do something like deads and then the next days WOD will include something like tons of back extensions. Also since I am new, I feel like A doing strength work prior to WOD might screw me over, and B doing a strength workout after a WOD I will just be too gassed... I actually posted this predicament I am having in the new section, looking for advice on how to do this... I really want to work on both, esp since CF requires a lot of Oly lifts that I know I won't understand unless I put a lot of time in with them.
People who are doing programming on top of the WODs often follow the main page a week or two behind for this very reason. Or you could follow any of the strength biased programs out there.

Strength work first. Do it after a metcon and you'll be too tired to go really heavy.

Katherine
Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Adam Castagno

Profile:

I guess I could do this, however I need to figure out what to do in the interim (sp?) since I started already. Since I am doing CF on my own I can see how I could adjust however what to people do who belong to a BOX and that box runs WOD thats posted that day?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I guess I could do this, however I need to figure out what to do in the interim (sp?) since I started already. Since I am doing CF on my own I can see how I could adjust however what to people do who belong to a BOX and that box runs WOD thats posted that day?
Most smart boxes program strength and skill work prior to metcons on a majority of workout days. If it's just all metcons all the time, then people are going to get weak/injured/burnt out.

If you're doing things on your own it's easy--don't follow CF.com, do something like 70s Big, Greyskull LP, CFFB, CF/conjugate, or Catalyst Athletics for your programming. Basically anything that has you squatting twice a week and pressing/benching/deadlifting/cleaning once a week with regular progression on each lift.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Geezus never heard of those... they sound like 80's metal bands... I will look into them... in short are they similar to CF with WOD's but tailor more towards strength conditioning?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Geezus never heard of those... they sound like 80's metal bands... I will look into them... in short are they similar to CF with WOD's but tailor more towards strength conditioning?
They are not like CF in the sense that you do numerous metcons per week at high reps. These programs are designed to get you strong and have some metcon/conditioning work thrown in. Check out there websites and read a lot.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

They all differ somewhat but yes...generally 1-2 powerlifts or Oly lifts on some kind of logical progression followed by a short, intense metcon.

What are your current lift numbers and what are your goals? Be as quantifiable and specific as possible. Also, what kind of equipment do you have access to?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Eric,

So a little background into me as you ask, been lifting since 7th grade to improve with sports, HS lifting was almost always seasonal with lots of weights for football, minimal during the winter for wrestling (but doing a lot of body wt type of training) and Lax season would be lift when I could to get ready for football.
Come college I got into weight training pretty hard, switching btw power and hypertrophy. Freshman year weighing 160lbs I was able to bench press 320lbs after training for no more than 6mo's.
A few years later I started training with a kid who won third in a new england power lifting comp, so my numbers were great then, PR bench press 405, dead lifts was somewhere around 430's, and squats which were always my weak point was around 320. I could press around 180-200, and for Oly lifts, never did them.
After a couple years of this and a few injuries I comp. stopped lifting in this manner and concentrated on hypertrophy reps of 8-12 to gain mass, no longer strength so for my 1rm's I have not done them for 5 or so years now. With the exception to my bench press, last Dec. a friend of mine I workout with who is training for a bodybuilding comp saw me training chest and wanted to go rep for rep, well he stopped at about 295, and I got 320 (I hadn't benched more than 225 for years prior) so I still have some of that muscle memory strength left in me, if there is such a thing, haha.
I did deads last week, and using 10 sets of 2 I was doind 225 pretty easy so I am sure my 1rm is prob upper 200's low 300's. So I need to work on this, my press's and squats a lot more now that I am getting into CF.
As for equip basically everything but a rope, kb's, box's but I can use a bench to jump on, my medicine balls top out at 12lbs, no rings, and my rubber bumper wts are only 45lbs each which has been a pain in the butt.
My goals are to just become more fit, after being a great athlete, after I stopped with sports and just lifted as most college kids did who did not want to become a waste case, I realized after a while that A routine became boring B training with no purpose really had no purpose, so for now I just want to shed a few lbs (have dropped about 5-8lbs since I started on 4/1/11 and went paleo) and just get into a new workout regime that I can feel good about. I guess I do not care about strength as much anymore since in reality I am not competing, so I just want to become more fit, and better rounded with my training. who knows maybe compete in some CF games in the future??? With that, possibly sticking with just CF WOD may be all I really need, I only wanted to mix some power/oly style lifts in so I didn't lose the mass/strength I gained from all the previous years of working out. If I do so be it, as long as I am more "fit" or should I say "fitter" than before.
Hope this helps... critique as needed.