CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:
Andy's ramblin' workout log

Quick background: I joined my local crossfit gym in january as a way to lose some weight. From there my path is a familiar one... I discovered Paleo, got completely hooked on the WODS and made some amazing gains in performance over the next few months. Went from 196 to 170 (lightest I've been since I was 16, 24 now), gained a little strength, and vastly increased my metcon.

This continued until september when I decided I needed to get on the SS train to do something about my pitiful numbers. Hit the workouts hard for a couple months and was able to bring my squat from 140 x5 to 200 x5... Then I got extremely busy with work (I'm a field tech which frequently has me traveling to gymless environments), and unfortunately kept eating like I was still on SS.

Now I'm up to 206 (but leaner than I was at 196), work has slowed down now that the end of the year rush is over, and I'm ready to get my diet and programming dialed back in. I'm armed with twice the strength I had a year ago, a much greater understanding of fitness/nutrition, and a freezer full of local grassfed beef. Really excited to see what some focused strength/conditioning programming can do for me in the next few months.

When I'm at home I'll be following the 70's big S&C programming, and eating paleo + milk/whey. On the road I'll be doing a little bodyweight strength work (pistols, HSPU, pullups) with an emphasis on metcon. Planning on eating strict paleo, with some IF thrown in for good measure.

Short term goals:

-Get back to the bf level I was at when I was 170
-Squat 225
-DL 315
-15 strict pullups/chinups
-5 unassisted dips
-do an unassisted pistol
-do an unassisted HSPU
Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:
Re: Andy's ramblin' workout log

12/27/2010:

4-5-4-4-4 deadhang pullups

3-3-3 Negative HSPU

5 min tabata, alternating burpee and 1 armed KB swings, 16kg

12/28/2010:

Skied pow all day at Smuggler's notch
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Whew, I gotta get better at updating this. A few workouts down...Snow has been flyin here in VT so I've been doing 3 days a week to give myself a day off before I hit the slopes on saturday. I've been doing DLs on Tuesday and Squat, PC, bench on thursday to fit all my lifts in. Having some nagging pain in my left elbow so I'm going to cut out chins and dips for the time being until it gets better.

Today:
185 3x5 Back squat
135 3x5 Bench
140 5x3 Power Clean

rest day tomorrow, then skiing on sunday.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Never made it to the mountain.

190 3x5 BS
102.5 3x5 OHP (PR)

Comments: Really happy with some form related victories I made last week. I've finally been able to get the shrug on my powerclean... The bar came up so easily when I nailed it that I almost fell over. After I was done with my sets I added a little more weight and pulled a 1RM PR of 155. I feel like I could have pulled 160, but failed at 165 and was already wiped. I'll be matching my old 3RM PR of 145 this week... Pretty excited to hit 150 and beyond next week.

As for squats, I felt like I had been going backward for a while... I had worked my way up to 200 (albeit with terrible form...I'm not sure any of my workouts above 180 should have counted) but had been struggling with anything over 180 once I wasn't able to hit up the gym consistently. I had my trainer watch me squat and she said I was getting massive buttwink from going ATG and that I should just go down to parallel. I've been using a medicine ball to gage my depth and my form problems evaporated overnight. 190 was a breeze today.

Last edited by Andrew Klopfenstein : 01-16-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Yesterday:

Deadlift - 1 x 5 280#

EMOTM - 10 minutes rowing, 20s of sprinting, followed by 40s rest

Elbow feels much better, going to start working dips and chinups in next week
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Squat - 3 x 5 195#
Bench - 3 x 5 140#

Notes: I'm amazed at how much easier all my lifts have got since I started knocking off my form issues. I'll be in PR territory across the board next week. Elbow is still hurting a bit...Taking 4 days off to visit my girls family, I'm hoping that all I need to get back to 100%.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Yesterday:
Squat - 3 x 5 200#
OHP - 3 x 5 105#

Today:
Deadlift - 1 x 5 290# (PR), 1 @ 300# (PR)
Chinups - 1 x 3

Conditioning:
EMOTM - 10 minutes, 20s of sprinting followed by 40s rest (treadmill)

Notes:
Elbow feels much better, no pain at all after my last 2 workouts. Going to slowly reincorporate dips and pulls back into my routine.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Squat - 3 x 5 205# (PR)
Bench - 3 x 5 145# (PR)
Pull ups - 2 x 3 (still taking it easy on the elbow, not much pain today)

Notes: I said it a few posts ago, but I am blown away by how solid my lifts feel right now. 205 was an absolute breeze today, and my form felt better than ever. I think I have a tendency to over think my squats a little bit so today I just got under the bar, kicked it off the rack, and banged out my sets without taking a bunch of time to fuss around with feet and bar position. Made a world of difference. I think I'm still a little forward, but its the last little issue I'm trying to iron out.

Normally when I deadlift I take a little time to reset my grip and feet position between reps. On Tuesday I took the same approach that I did with my squats today and banged out 4/5 reps before resetting my grip. Form looked/felt great, and my PR of 290# 1 x 5 was so easy I decided to load up another 10 lbs just for the hell of it. Cake. REALLY psyched to have broken the 300 mark...It's a big milestone for me.

I'm on cloud 9 right now after crushing my old PRs this week.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Yesterday 2/1/2011:

Squat - 3 x 5 210#
OHP - 3 x 5 107.5#
Chinups - 2 x 3

Notes: Everything was so easy I convinced myself that the bar I was using was light. I held up another 45# to check that they were the same length, then went and asked one of our trainers if it was in fact a 45#er. I could have made a 5# jump easy on the OHP, instead of the 2.5# jump I've been using for a couple weeks. My back was a little tweaked from skiing this weekend, but it felt fine during and after squats. Little nagging pain in my bicep, but nothing like what I felt a couple weeks ago. It's dumping in Vermont right now so I'm taking a rest day today to get my legs in tip top shape for skiing tomorrow.

I'm going on a cut to get rid of some of my SS fat and have dropped the calories way down, in addition to implementing a daily 16 hour fast, and going back on paleo + dairy. So far so good, I feel like even with the reduced calories I have some more room for linear progression on all my lifts except bench (this one has always been tough to progress for me). Shooting for 2700 calories under 100g carbs on rest days, and 3000 125g on workout days. My volume has definitely been lower as I've been taking lots of rest days to accommodated skiing, but I'm happy with my continued progression. It's been an awesome couple weeks.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

A few days on the mountain since my last post, plus an entire week of missed workouts due to a sinus infection.

Today:

Deadlift - 1 x 5 300#, 1 @ 315# (goal reached!!)
Bench - 3 x 5 150#
Chinups - 5-4-3 (super strict)

Notes: Hiked the teardrop on Mt. Mansfield yesterday to get at some backcountry goodies. Felt awesome on the hike, and still managed to knock out 3 more PRs today. Almost missed my last deadlift rep (did the 315 before my set of 5), and it looks like I'll be going down to 2.5# jumps on my bench. Not much else to report... The cut is going well, down 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks while still gaining some strength.