CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-04-2005, 02:29 AM   #1
Josh Briggs

Profile:
When doing my snatch, I find it much easier to "drop under" the bar as little as possible... ie. to catch it with as little bend in the knees as possible.

I had been trying to force myself to catch it in as low a position as possible in order to train the muscle memory for the heavier weights. I'm currently stuck around the 115lb level, and the problem is mental. An olympic lifting sort recently told me that the only way to train myself out of the fear issue of diving under the bar was to go to a powerlifting gym with a proper floor and rubber plates... where I can get comfortable with failing on a lift. Essentially, that I'm wasting my time trying to train my hesitation out in my own gym.

When I don't try to force myself to catch the bar low, my times for the 30snatch for time workout w/ 95lbs drop dramatically...

So what's the opinion of the board?

Catch the bar in the most efficient position for the weight being used, or always go for a low position catch (as one would have to with a heavy weight)?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
I would practice doing full squat cleans every time I do cleans, this is what I do. They say a squat clean is a missed power clean. You should train like its always heavy. If I use the bar I squat clean and if I go for bodyweight I squat clean. Unless the WOD calls for power cleans. As for snatches, I end up doing power snatches and then doing an OHS but I'm really quite new to these lifts. Hope this helped, I'm sure someone smarter than me will chime in.

Jeremy
Old 12-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Josh,
For the WODs, sometimes the power versions are the way to go. The power versions of the lifts are perfectly good variations, there's nothing wrong with them except ONE THING: they hinder learning of the squat versions. People end up exactly where you are - unable to throw themselves under the bar to catch the lift in the full squat. That severely limits their potential for lifting the really heavy weights. Thus the power snatch and power clean need to be used judiciously. In general, the power versions of the Olympic lifts are not appropriate for anyone who hasn't developed proficiency with the squat versions.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Watch your foot width, too. One of the negative side effects of working power variations heavy without working the full versions is that you start jumping your feet too far out.

If your gym is OK with it [that's the BIG 'if'], you can get comfortable with dropping weights even if there isn't a platform or bumper plates. I missed 170 once yesterday before I snatched it, and missed 175 three times, losing it out front twice and taking it on the back of the head once. No problem. Yes, oly gyms are better; I'm switching to a real oly gym next month. But if Tommy Kono, Paul Anderson, and John Davis could snatch and c+j whatever ungodly amounts of weight they did without plates, so can we.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Lincoln, thanks for that info. I need to improve there as well.