CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Travis Cudlin

Profile:
Discouraged with the new Nike Frees

I've had my 5.0s for the past year so I figured it was about time to order a new pair- I love these things, great running and general training shoe.

My old pair was I believe a v2 and the new was a v4. I got the shoes in the mail yesterday and I was pretty disappointed. They removed the tab on the end that actually makes getting them on possible, added a lift on the insole for arch support, and added more cushioning in general. I can feel the ground in my old pair and these things just feel like another running shoe with a ton of padding.

I'd love to try out some Vibrams but my commander won't allow them for PT and I need a shoe for our company runs. I see three options:

1. Order an older version

2. Order a different shoe entirely (could use some help in this respect)

3. Stick with my current pair

My 5.0s are still in decent shape but they're not going to last forever. If anyone has some suggestions for other shoes they're much welcomed.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
James Reynolds

Profile:
Re: Discouraged with the new Nike Frees

If you wear a men 11.5 in the Free 5.0... i have a pair i wore once and took them off you can get cheap heh. I am a 12 in nike, evidently.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

My first pair of Frees was a 4.0. I don't think they even make those anymore. They're basically falling apart now and Sports Authority finally started carrying Frees again so I decided to buy a pair of 5.0s. They're much better than regular running shoes, but I really don't like them much compared to my old 4.0. The heel is MUCH larger and like you said it does seem like they tried to add some support into the sole where the 4.0 was basically a slipper. I really wish 3.0s were sold more. I wanted a pair of those badly, but I've never found a store that carries them and even web sites that have them often carry limited sizes.

I'm really hoping these hit the U.S. at some point so I can give them a shot --> http://www.feelmax.com/ (Safe)
Old 06-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
Victor Putz

Profile:

Not sure how they'd stay on in a run (I may try it) but my vivo barefoot(wfs) shoes certainly feel more barefoot than my Nike frees... mine are office-compatible but some variants look a little more workout-y.

I can't vouch for things like breathability/durability under running conditions, but I do a lot of walking in mine and I can certainly feel the ground more through them than my Nike Frees; they seem to be holding up reasonably well, too.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
My first pair of Frees was a 4.0. I don't think they even make those anymore. They're basically falling apart now and Sports Authority finally started carrying Frees again so I decided to buy a pair of 5.0s. They're much better than regular running shoes, but I really don't like them much compared to my old 4.0. The heel is MUCH larger and like you said it does seem like they tried to add some support into the sole where the 4.0 was basically a slipper. I really wish 3.0s were sold more. I wanted a pair of those badly, but I've never found a store that carries them and even web sites that have them often carry limited sizes.

I'm really hoping these hit the U.S. at some point so I can give them a shot --> http://www.feelmax.com/ (Safe)
You know you can just order them directly from www.nike.com (WFS)... (You need to go to the nike store, and then to the customize section).

However, I don't use mine anymore. I have switched to either VFFs or Inov-8 230's depending on what I need to do. There is way to much heel in the Frees, IMO.

Karin

Last edited by Karin Jonczak : 06-13-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Judd Shea

Profile:

here you go my friend... 3.0's

Link is W/F Safe

http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?site...35/pgid-247329
Old 06-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Thanks for the links. I honestly did know of a few places I could have ordered them from, but there's another reason I didn't. Sports authority has this sweet deal where, if you pay ten dollars, you get a protection plan that let's you bring them back within a year and thirty days for normal wear and tear and get a pair of shoes of equal or lesser value for free. That's why I decided to try the 5s instead of order 3s. I just wish SA had 3s so I could have gotten the best of both worlds. Now though, I'm not sure I want another pair of 5s so I probably should have just ordered 3s Live and learn.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Travis Cudlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Kellerman View Post
You know you can just order them directly from www.nike.com (WFS)... (You need to go to the nike store, and then to the customize section).

However, I don't use mine anymore. I have switched to either VFFs or Inov-8 230's depending on what I need to do. There is way to much heel in the Frees, IMO.

Karin
How do you like the Inovs? The 230 PKs look very nice.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cudlin View Post
How do you like the Inovs? The 230 PKs look very nice.
um, LOVE THEM!! (see the most excellent avatar to your left <----)

I bought a pair of the 305PK GTX for work and LOVE THEM too!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Alicia Michel

Profile:

I used to wear 5.0s v2 and had to buy new shoes after 2 years because the soles wore out. Bought a pair of Asics Tai Chi and these shoes are so light and flat and awesome I could never go back to ANY type of Nike Frees because they feel too raised up and unnatural. I still have my old 5.0s with me that I wear to the market because I don't want to get my lovely Tai Chis dirty.... and they feel uncomfortable and give me foot pains sometimes so I don't use them very much.