CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Elliott Williams

Profile:
critique my weight loss plan

hi all, this is my first post! long story short, i tore a bunch of ligaments in my wrist and was sedentary for about 6 months (wasn't even allowed to ride a bike). now that i can do 20 push ups (day one i couldn't even do one) i decided to start getting back in shape. i wanted to surprise my long distance gf with the loss of 10 pounds, and im going to see her in a month. ive done 20 pounds in 2 months before, but for some reason after a week, i think im doing something wrong this time.

so i've been doing WOD for just a week, and have capped daily cals at 1600 (im 5'10" 200 lbs, 23 percent body fat says crappy scale)

after about 3 days of 1600 i dropped to 194. now, after about 10 days im back up to 199.

a day usually looks like this:
2 eggs, 2 pieces of sprouted wheat toast (400 cals)
soy yogurt with a peach (400 cals)
brocoli and 8oz salmon (400 cals)
ice cream and a beer (400 cals)

i know its not really good. but at 1600 with my weight, how can i be keeping on the pounds?

i could give more food journal stuff if needed.
thanks guys
Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: critique my weight loss plan

Just a guess-

Sedentary for 6 mos equals some fat gain. Now you're working out, and CFing at that, so you're probably building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, thus weight gain initially.

Fix your diet, do zone or paleo or combo. Post your macro nutrient ratios in the nutrition thread and people can give more help.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Derek Franks

Profile:

Read this:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ue21_May04.pdf (WFS)
Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Elliott Williams

Profile:

thanks for the link. im all for trying the zone diet, but am a little scared that i will be consuming more calories and possibly not losing the weight i want to.

so considering i weight 198, 26yo, 5'10, 23%bf
should i do the 4 blocks (small male)?

really i just want to shed a quick 10 pounds in 5 weeks, where i at least feel motivated and not like a gelatinous blob.

thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott williams View Post
thanks for the link. im all for trying the zone diet, but am a little scared that i will be consuming more calories and possibly not losing the weight i want to.

so considering i weight 198, 26yo, 5'10, 23%bf
should i do the 4 blocks (small male)?

really i just want to shed a quick 10 pounds in 5 weeks, where i at least feel motivated and not like a gelatinous blob.

thanks
it hurts your brain to think about (i know it hurt mine), but sometimes eating more food actually helps you lose weight faster.

somebody step in and correct me if i'm misrepresenting, but the basic concept of the zone is that the amt of food it prescribes is meant to be enough to feed your muscle (or lean body mass), not your fat.

i don't think at 5'10 you qualify as a small male. i'd go with medium, actually, @ 17blocks a day.

but here: sean does a good job of laying out the math to figure it out for you here: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35256 (sfw)

The CF Wods take a lot out of you, and you need food to replenish to keep it going. 1600 isn't enough
Old 03-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Derek Franks

Profile:

Do the 16 block meal plan. If you stick with it, you will lose fat quickly.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

10 pounds in 5 weeks is not a lot. The trick is keeping it off. You're not going to stay at 1600 calories forever, so what do you eat once you reach your goal? Do you really want to restrict your calories that much, or do you need to eat more in order to have enough energy to be more active? That's why people are suggesting you look at macronutrient ratios and such.

You might also worry more about the mirror and the tape measure than what the scale says. As others have indicated, muscle weighs more than fat. Changing your body composition from, say, 23% to 15% fat will make a huge improvement in your appearance, even if the scale doesn't change much.

Regarding your diet as posted, what are you drinking? If it's not water, there are calories there, too.

Katherine
Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
Just a guess-

Sedentary for 6 mos equals some fat gain. Now you're working out, and CFing at that, so you're probably building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, thus weight gain initially.

Fix your diet, do zone or paleo or combo. Post your macro nutrient ratios in the nutrition thread and people can give more help.
Noticeable muscle gain in one week? You sure about that?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
Elliott Williams

Profile:

yeah i drink only water.
i think my diet is pretty healthy just by the mere fact that i am lactose and gluten intolerant. i'll have something with gluten in it maybe once a week at most and the only diary i can stand is butter.

ill definitely give this zone thing a try.
i tried that schedule calculator renee and it says (since im only 150 pounds of muscle) that i should eat 15 blocks.

so my head is already hurting, but does this mean that 15 blocks will only feed my muscle? and hopefully my body will just eat the extra needed calories from the fat?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott williams View Post
ill definitely give this zone thing a try.
i tried that schedule calculator renee and it says (since im only 150 pounds of muscle) that i should eat 15 blocks.

so my head is already hurting, but does this mean that 15 blocks will only feed my muscle? and hopefully my body will just eat the extra needed calories from the fat?
Yes, that's the idea. Choose your Zone blocks based on the weight you want.

Those body fat scales are notoriously inaccurate, though. Don't take its number too seriously.

Katherine