CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Peter Evans

Profile:
Smile CFE - How does running and ruck running work?

Hey all,

Training for a rucking and running required job selection...

For all those who are doing CFE WODs do you know if Ruck running is treated as a seperate sport to running?

For example - CFE states 2 WODS per discipline per week if a multisporter - Is Ruck running considered 'another sport' so you'd end up doing 4 WODs per week - 2 of running and 2 of ruck running?

Or would you stick with 2 CFE WODs per week and make one a ruck run and the other 'just' a run ?

Many thanks in advance :-)

Pete
Old 03-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Justin Sean McIntosh

Profile:
Re: CFE - How does running and ruck running work?

I would think that if you did the WOD then 4 CFE WODs you would be overtraining. I would say running is running. You are just adding some extra pounds for some of your runs.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Fast rucking is half running ability, half deadlift ability, and two-thirds heart. Having a long body helps.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Peter Evans

Profile:

I hear you Andrew! A big heart and will to push through is needed for sure - Just trying to figure out a sensible balance of running and rucking...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Ed Haywood

Profile:

From a recovery perspective, ruck running is a lot more intense than running. You can't transfer it 1 to 1, or you will have recovery issues. If following a CFE-type methodology, I suggest you convert distance with a ratio of 2-1 or 3-1, eg 3 miles running = 1 mile ruck running with a ruck at 20-25% of BW.

Whenever someone gets on the boards and asks about running with a ruck, I try to talk them out of it. It's just too hard on your knees, back, and ankles to be doing voluntarily. In your case, you don't have a choice, but you should still be very careful not to overdo it. You don't have to run much with a ruck to be prepared to do it in selection. It's mostly mental toughness, as long as you have sufficient cardiovascular fitness and leg/lower back strength. "Running, deadlifts, and heart" is a good way of putting it.

Don't run with a ruck more than once or twice a week, try to get off roads and onto softer ground, wear decent boots, and build in plenty of time for recovery. Don't injure yourself in training; going to a selection course with existing shin splints or knee tendinitis significantly increases your odds of getting put out of the course by injury.

Most importantly, use your training time to refine your footcare system. Find a boot-insole-sock combo that fits and works for you, find your blister hotspots, and learn how to prevent them with moleskin. Blisters on weight-bearing surfaces will make your life hell, and if they come early can jeopardize your chances of success.

If it's SAS selection you're prepping for, then your training should focus on getting off roads and trails and moving cross country, the steeper the better. Can't imagine there's any shortage of hills in NZ as compared to Wales or West Virginia.

Last edited by Ed Haywood : 03-15-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

There is no reason to train for ruck running. It is undoubtedly one of the worst things that you can do. You will get hurt. You will break down. Why are you wanting to do this? If you are a military guy, I would say to ruck FAST (not running) and run (without a ruck). When the time comes to run with a ruck you'll be fine.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Take the advice of the last two guys - it's sensible. Do not train past your limits. Also, you acclimate to rucking really quickly - a couple of weeks of rucking each day will make you feel quite in control, but do it for years and you will feel the strain. Keep the weight reasonable and the pace a very fast walk. All of the usual rules regarding warming up and cooling down apply. If you want to experience mind-bending shin splints just for giggles, then disregard my last bit of advice.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Peter Evans

Profile:

Thanks fellas for the input - the selection I'm going for is a CT role and the ruck running is specific to doing the beep test or multistage fitness test with kit.

Not so much endurance for days /weeks on end but short term (10min - 2hrs+) high levels of power, strength, strength endurance and stamina.

The bar has been set high so I'm looking at different approaches of combining the ability to run with ability to run/sprint with 18-20kg kit in training.

So far I'm going with 2 CFE wods per week - one ruck running and the other pure run (no weight or boots). Looking to up that to 3 sessions per week for the month prior to assessment.

FYI, goal is level 11 on the beep test in boots and 18kg kit - apparently the record is level 13+ in 22kg+...
Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #9
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Ah OK, what you're talking about is much different than my experience, which is geared towards walking 20+ miles a day through the mountains with a heavy ruck on. Disregard everything I said.

I would simply do a practice test in kit once a week, with conditions as close to the test as you can get. That plus CF and CFE should get you ready.

"CT kit" is different than a ruck. A ruck hangs off your back, while CT kit is distributed across your body, usually with more weight in the front than in back. The difference in weight distribution leads to a different posture, and thus different recruitment of muscles. If at all possible, try to get a weight vest and train with that instead of a ruck. Train like you fight.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
Peter Evans

Profile:

Good call Ed,

The weight vest is on its way- sprinting with a daysack to mimic vest/amour just isn't the same with weight distribution I guess.

Really appreciate your advice, thank you!

I'll stay with 1 CFE + CF+ 1 Beep test per week. Upping to 2CFE + CF + beep test one month out.

I'm going to save rucking (proper) until I go back to the UK to finish selection there...when ever I get back....