CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #231
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: What is considered fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Still View Post
This thread is the equivalent of "Which oil is better?" on a bike forum.
Word!

And don't forget the filters!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...issues/UFI.jpg
Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #232
Stefan Still

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Word!

I actually joined an Aprilia Owner's Forum once and made my first post in the SXV section under the title "What's the best oil/filter combination for my 08?". I was banned instantly due to thread title alone.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #233
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Still View Post
I actually joined an Aprilia Owner's Forum once and made my first post in the SXV section under the title "What's the best oil/filter combination for my 08?". I was banned instantly due to thread title alone.

AF1? That's hilarious.

I used to love the "Rowdy Biker Bar" on that site.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #234
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

[quote=Sean Dunston;544123]Word!

I've always been a 10W30 guy myself
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #235
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
No, I'm not. You can measure anything in average power.
Well than in that case, you can increase power production while simultaneously decreasing several other components of fitness. A shotputter can produce alot of power over the course of a workout but not be very flexible, prone to injuries, and have a very low aerobic threshold.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #236
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Chris beat me to it.

If you can squat the same weight more times, you have increased work capacity. If you can squat the more weight the same number of reps, you have increased work. If you can run farther in the same amount of time, run the same distance in the same time, or do the same distance and time with additional weight, again, increased work capacity.

You can vary the distance, times, reps, weight and excersizes as much as you want to cover all the bases from explosive weightlifting, grinding powerlifting, to a marathon, 10 mile swim etc.

Well I'm confused, Bob just stated that work capacity= total power production, not increase in many dimensions of fitness. You're stating a different criteria, so I'm confused. Which is it?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #237
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Phillip that silly scenario would never happen. Ever. If an athlete lost that many variables there is no possible way that their work capacity across broad time and modal domains could improve. Sometimes improving work capacity will decrease preformance at specialized goals. For example a power lifter that squats 900lbs. In order to maximize work capacity across broad time and modal domains he will lose some of that squat strength. Or an endurance runner who will lose some aerobic capacity. Or a contortionist will lose some flexibility. The whole point of IWCABTAMD is that it maximizes every athletic trait to the point that it helps improve fitness. Anything past that point is specializing and will have little effect on health and therefore fitness.

Thank you Chris.
That happens all the time. If an athlete focuses solely on peak power production and the maximal amount of weight lifted for the maximal amount of reps, flexibility and aerobic endurance typically go down. It's called specificity of training.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #238
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
Well than in that case, you can increase power production while simultaneously decreasing several other components of fitness. A shotputter can produce alot of power over the course of a workout but not be very flexible, prone to injuries, and have a very low aerobic threshold.
Phillip, this quote is right your alley.

"Contrarianism is Creativity for the Untalented" Dennis Miller.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #239
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
A shotputter can produce alot of power over the course of a workout but not be very flexible, prone to injuries, and have a very low aerobic threshold.
Then by our definition he is not becoming more fit, because he is not increasing his work capacity over broad time and modal domains... he is just getting better at his specialty.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #240
Chris Walls

Profile:

Phillip you are getting too narrow with it again. In your example of the shot putter, sure he can generate maximum power in the shotputting time and modal domain. (short duration, throwing a shotput) at the expense of increasing his power output in ALL POSSIBLE OTHER time and modal domains.

Just like anyone else who chooses to specialize their work capacity in one time/modal domain, or even 3 time/modal domains, will do so at the expense of their overall, broad and inclusive fitness (work capacity), in ALL POSSIBLE time and modal domains...