CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Chris Worden

Profile:
Question Am I Too Sore to Workout Today?

Hey all. This is my first post here on the message board, so go easy on me!

I've been an on-and-off athlete all my life; varsity football in highschool, played tennis for my college (NAIA). So I'm fairly familiar with sport soreness and general fatigue.

I've only been doing CrossFit for a month now and have really seen some great results but am in need of some good, solid advice about how to gauge my level of fatigue the day after and whether I should hit the WOD again, or not.

This morning, I had a bit of trouble getting out of bed. Pretty sore, all over, and generally just pretty tired after a good nights sleep. But I know that by about 6pm when I could head to the gym again, I'll feel good. Should I resist training on days like today?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Am I Too Sore to Workout Today?

Take your time warming up, get good and warm, and if you're still sore after that then yes, you might be too sore to workout. If it goes away with a proper warmup then have at'r.

But don't be afraid to take a rest day when it's needed. Listen to your body.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
David Doran Marshall

Profile:

Search the forums for DOMS. I have royally screwed myself up by working out while sore, and I have also had some perfectly fine workouts that started painful and ended great.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Stefan Still

Profile:

Take this as free advice from a novice/int CrossFitter who is used to pushing through pain as well. I'm former Army and race motorcycles so doing PT or a other physically demanding activities while sore or hurt is not something new.

When I first started, I tried to go all out and dove right into a M-W-F routine without any consideration for rest. I thought that the one day in between would be enough no matter what we did. What I didn't take into consideration was the impact that soreness and mental fatigue have on your concentration. In short, if you think you won't be able to concentrate on proper form, take another day. That could be the difference in a day off or a month off.

I came to this conclusion somewhere around the 3rd week doing deadlifts. I had never lifted weights save for screwing around with my father when I was about 12 while he was powerlifting. Therefore I knew very little about the importance of proper form. So I went in to a deadlift workout far more fatigued than I realized and managed to hurt my back bad enough that I was out for a week. The kicker? The weight was 95lbs...yeah..go me.

I still follow that same philosphy and if don't feel I can concentrate on my form and what my body is doing, I will take another day.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Chris:

What WOD did you do yesterday?

--bingo
Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Chris Worden

Profile:

Yesterday's WOD at CrossFit Costa Mesa was Nicole.

20 mins
Max Pullups, when fail, run 400m, repeat.

I completed 32 pullups and ran 1 1/2 miles.

(patting self on back...I couldn't do one pullup 4 weeks ago.)
Old 03-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Robert Woller

Profile:

Totally unrelated to your post.....

But I've been thinking about checking out CrossFit Costa Mesa, how do you like it there?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Day off, Chris. One month in. Your WOD was 2/3 "Helen", notorious for taking folks down.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Greg Pieris

Profile:

Another thing to consider is that your ability to recover is trainable.

As Rippetoe has said (can't remember whether it was in SS or PP), not training because you are sore is a recipe for always being sore, as you will never adapt to the volume of training you're trying to program.

This is obviously more difficult to apply with CF, because of the variety in the programming, but I think it still applies. Here though, 1 day off in a month won't be such an issue IMO.

The key is to recognise what is normal DOMS from training and what is soreness that could result in injury or is a symptom of overtraining.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

If you're asking teh question then take off.

As stated, your recovery improves as you become more conditioned.. sooo it shouldn't be a problem in the future if you want to workout.

I would only not workout if you know your time is gonna suffer from soreness... which generally means it's pretty painful/crippling. At that point, like having rips in your hands, it detracts from your workout intensity which makes it less effective.