CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Alistair Stevenson

Profile:
How do you train if you have no CF gym near by?

What do you people do if you have no CF gym near by and don't have a home gym?

Do you find it difficult to do the activities?

How do you get around activities that you can't perform and can't be subbed?

Any ideas advice would be great...Very interested in CF but struggling to find a facility to train in./
Old 07-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: How do you train if you have no CF gym near by?

If you don't have a gym nearby, and don't have the equipment, and want to do exercises that can't be subbed, the simple answer is "you can't".

I suggest you do what you can, and worry about what you can't later. You may come across a solution down the road.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Alistair Stevenson

Profile:

Yeah - I was thinking of doing what I can and leaving what i can't or choose older WODs and give them another pop...

Curse this crappy town's McGyms and endless pace classes.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Jeremy Mathers

Profile:

I did crossfit for 6 months at the local YMCA before the affiliate opened up.

Just sub exercises/workouts and you can come pretty close to following the WOD. I'd recommend going when it's not busy and asking the staff if they have a problem with what you are going to do first.

Doing things like overhead squats and snatches will be difficult due to lack of proper equipment/space, but I don't recommend doing those lifts if you aren't familiar/don't have a coach anyway.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:  

If you check the Brandx Martial Arts website, they have a lot of good subs under the workout of the day forum.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

You have two options - join a McGym and use subs as necessary or build a home/friend's house gym using subs as necessary.

If you look around and ask some people, you can get some really great ideas for cheap home (or homemade) gym equipment. Regardless, though, there will be a certain amount of "suck it up, buttercup" in the money portion here.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
Ger Wallner

Profile:

I've been sort of sitting in the same boat for the past 10 months, Alistair. Originally I had no equipment of my own and the small old gym I used to go to was acquired by a globogym-like chain and "modernised" (think machines instead of the original squat racks ). Cancelled my subscription after one too many discussion with the gym staff and started looking for alternatives.

As I see it, there's really only a few options open to you:

Limit yourself to those bodyweight-only WoDs that you can do w/o equipment, start building a home gym, or keep looking for an adequate gym (tried Turku University yet?).

The first option is obviously not that great in the long run (depending on your personal goals).

The second one can provide plenty of difficulties as well - no garage, no garage gym. Could try to dedidcate some living space to make a home gym, if that's an option in your case. To do most WoDs you don't need a whole lot: a pull-up bar, an (olympic) barbell, some dumbbells or kettlebells, jump rope. If possible get bumper plates. Not being able to safely dump will definitely slow your progress. And yes, I know, getting bumper plates over here can be a costly odyssey

In the end it all boils down to how badly you want to CF
Old 07-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
Alistair Stevenson

Profile:

Thanks guys.

I think I will do what I can, sub where I can and just drop exercises/do something totally different if theres no alternative.

Yeah, the local gyms are great if the make of your shoes is more important than how much you sweat. but hey! our big gym here gives you a free tshirt that you can wear and promote them with.

I cant even find a gym with a decent pull up bar...Or something suitable to jump on. ("you want to....jump on a box?!?....well, ooookkkk")...Being honest the free weights aren't the problem it's space and good equipment to do the body weight stuff and other stuff.

Never thought of the uni gym.

Thanks again, I'll keep a huntin' and a searchin'.

Last edited by Alistair Stevenson : 07-22-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 AM   #9
Bonny Guang

Profile:

stairs and park benches are pretty suitable to jump on. might not be a desirable height, but oh well. lots of open space in the park too.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
Alistair Stevenson

Profile:

At the moment I am doing some body weight / circuit stuff and one day is a park day, cos theres dip bars, pull up bars and a benches to jump on/over...Not perfect but a start and after 4 weeks I have made progress.

I remembered a sports facility near by that has a weight lifting room / wrestling area / boxing area / gymnastics stuff...I'll go and check that out and see if it's possible to use the other rooms and stuff. I don't know how accepting they will be but I am hoping that if I go at a very funny time i.e. last thing at night they will be cool.

Thanks for the ideas and support.