CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Nick Pritchett

Profile:
Crap! Ripped Calluses!

I ripped open three calluses last nite. Should i go ahead and tear/cut them the rest of the way off and wrap em? or will they kind of re-attach if i leave them on there?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Crap! Ripped Calluses!

Read the thread below this one.

IMO cut themoff, soak in salt water, moisturize and shave them down next time.

Use the search button next time. Common problem.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Nick Pritchett

Profile:

i know. i saw the post...i wanted to know what to do AFTER i ripped them though. heh. no i will take preventative maintenance measures.

thanks!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

Hi Nick!

You and I are in the same boat my friend....I ripped three calluses off this past weekend. I wanted to let you know what I have been doing, and it seems to work.

Step 1 - Wash hands, and remove the yucky skin flap.
step 2 - in the shower, scrub with a pumice stone lightly
step 3 - use manicure scissor immediately after shower to remove parts that have come loose. (don't dig!)
Step 4 - when your hands are good and dry, use a nail file/sand paper/anything abrasive to smooth out the rough areas. Don't go too deep or too aggressive - you don't want to bleed.
Step 5 - apply moisturizing cream to your hands after the dry-filing

Hope that helps!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Alex Podiluk

Profile:

I've been following the usual callus reduction methods on my palms, that's cleaned up most, if not all, of my problems. However, doing the 155lb PC and ring dips the other day, I dropped the weight at the end of a round of PC and tore a dime off my left hand, right between my thumb and the web of the rest of the hand.

Has anyone ever ripped calluses (I assume that's what this thing is) off the tops of their hands, specifically around their thumbs/web? This has never happened before and my other hand is perfectly fine (as much as can be).

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

If torn and bleeding, cut flappers off. Clean with warm soapy water. If able, apply alcohol wipe. This will sting. If not alcohol use hydrogen peroxide. This may sting. Let air dry. Neosporin often. Epsom salt and warm water can be used for soaking the day after. Then, Neosporin often through the next 2-3 days as needed.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Podiluk View Post
I've been following the usual callus reduction methods on my palms, that's cleaned up most, if not all, of my problems. However, doing the 155lb PC and ring dips the other day, I dropped the weight at the end of a round of PC and tore a dime off my left hand, right between my thumb and the web of the rest of the hand.

Has anyone ever ripped calluses (I assume that's what this thing is) off the tops of their hands, specifically around their thumbs/web? This has never happened before and my other hand is perfectly fine (as much as can be).

Thanks!
I've ripped calluses doing deadlifts. It happens because the callus has become so prominent that it gets caught under the bar/ring. As someone else suggested, you need to use something abrasive (pumice stone, sandpaper rolled around a dowel, abrasive foam sanding block) to keep your calluses down to a reasonable level. I always keep a piece of sandpaper in my gym bag for those days when I notice that my calluses are catching on the bar.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Julie Manuel

Profile:

I've ripped the inside of my thumb open doing cleans before. It was really easy to tape up, so I just did that until it healed.
Another callus related question...has anyone gotten blood blisters before? I've been working on my kip all week, and I got a blood blister over the callus on my left hand. It then started forming a callus on top of the blister, so I eventually just ripped it off myself because I wasn't sure how healthy it was to leave it there. Has anyone else had this happen? I thought it was really weird.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Manuel View Post
I've ripped the inside of my thumb open doing cleans before. It was really easy to tape up, so I just did that until it healed.
Another callus related question...has anyone gotten blood blisters before? I've been working on my kip all week, and I got a blood blister over the callus on my left hand. It then started forming a callus on top of the blister, so I eventually just ripped it off myself because I wasn't sure how healthy it was to leave it there. Has anyone else had this happen? I thought it was really weird.
I usually get blood blisters when my fingers or palm get pinched by something. There's no harm in leaving the blood blister. Eventually it will just get pushed up to the skin surface and it can be peeled off like a scab. But if it's over a callus, it's probably best to get rid of it as you don't want to risk having the callus pinched and then torn off.