CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
Doug Holland

Profile:
Wii for weight loss?

Looks like some are skipping Crossfit for a real kick-butt workout. Nintendo will release a new game for the Wii system called Wii Fit later this year.

Quote:
"Using a Wii or other gaming system can definitely contribute to weight loss," said Chris Arterberry, the associate director of fitness and wellness who has worked at Ray Meyer for over three years. "It all depends on a person’s activity and dietary habits. Using a Wii for weight loss is similar to traditional exercise in that consistency and nutrition are key for success."
No need to leave the living room or sweat.

Doug
Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Wii for weight loss?

I saw this on billboards and other posters in Japan over New Year's while I was there. Can't possibly be that effective, but leave it to Nintendo to make something revolutionary like this, that shows that fitness and sedentaris (or fitness and fun, even) don't always have to be two separate entities.

Personally I would kill for a Wii, with or without Wii Fit. I think it's an outstanding idea, whether it's effective or not. It boggles my mind that only 15 years ago or so, people were bringing home their first Nintendo Entertainment Systems with Super Mario Brothers. Housewives were sitting down and shouting for joy when they beat the first level -- only to find that there were 8 more!

Being a tech junkie, I get a little giddy when I think of just how far we have come, and how big an impact that the "little changes" like this have had on how the world lives and exists. There are plenty of other advances -- space shuttles, human genome, etc. But few people take the time to realize that it was a little italian plumber and his brother that played a HUGE role in setting the table for us

BIG kudos to Nintendo for thinking outside of the box.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
It boggles my mind that only 15 years ago or so, people were bringing home their first Nintendo Entertainment Systems with Super Mario Brothers.
I've still got my NES and SMB! Hahah. I still haven't gotten a Wii, but I plan on getting one before I go off to college.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I imagine that if you played the Wii enough so that you stop eating, you'd lose weight.

Hey, since this is the Stuff and Nonsense section, what's everybody playing these days? Crossfit seems to have taken the place of my gaming now - not many good games seem to be out these days. Anyone played Lost Odyssey?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

*puts on nerd hat*

I used to do nothing BUT play video games, and somehow still made it through college

CrossFit, work, and family/gf tend to take up most of my time now, so not always a ton of room for the games I used to love

I played a game called Team Fortress Classic (online) with a bunch of other nerdy folk, for about 6 years. Do you have any idea how obsolete a game gets (visually) after 6 years? Still the most fun I've ever had on a computer, and I still do get bored and log back in every now and again -- it's tremendous fun.

I've got a 360 collecting dust, having been played maybe 6 times since purchased -- along with a PS2, Gamecube, Xbox. Guitar Hero is fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Other than that I've been known to do a little Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty. I'm definitely more into the online scene than the offline... but not really lately

*takes off nerd hat and resumes being the Fonz*
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Actually I have Lost odyssey, and it is very much a JRPG. It's not so much a game as playing a movie. It's 4 discs and most of the space are cut scenes. I mean a lot of cut scenes and they are long. Real long. It's very linear. Imortals don't get skills like mortals do, they don't just show up when you get to a certian level, you have to learn them from mortals in your party or from items, then you have so many slots to use for skills. I kinda liked that.

I f you like american style, open ended sandbox games, I wouldn't bother getting lost odyessy. I wish I hadn't, but now that I have, I have to beat it.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Sean McMaster

Profile:

I mostly play games on my PC. Last year I was playing Guild Wars and then WoW. Lately I haven't had much time for gaming, though. Now when I do get the urge to play something, I usually go back to a classic: Morrowind, CIV III or Fallout 2. I think those are my favorite games ever (plus my old computer can't run all these new games anyway). But you know what? I still have my NES and SNES - I will never get rid of those. And if anybody wants to sell me their Chronotrigger cartridge, I am definitely interested.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Trevor Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
I imagine that if you played the Wii enough so that you stop eating, you'd lose weight.

Hey, since this is the Stuff and Nonsense section, what's everybody playing these days? Crossfit seems to have taken the place of my gaming now - not many good games seem to be out these days. Anyone played Lost Odyssey?
One of my new favorite games is Mario Galaxy. It os one of the best games that I have ever played. I am also working my way through Zelda Twilight Princess which is also really fun but I can't wait until Super Smash Bro's come out on the 9th.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

The thing I've noticed about JRPGs is that they tend to be very long-winded. Valkyrie Profile 2 took me about a hundred hours to complete only trying to get through the main storyline. An earlier thirty hour chapter was a little boring due to repetitive tasks, but the storyline really picked up after that and I couldn't put it down. I like the longer games (with good storyline) more than American stuff like Gears of War.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
Brooks Altman

Profile:

Ive got it,

I glued the Wii Remote to a 2 pood KB.

Works great!!