CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:02 AM   #121
Luke Day

Profile:
Re: AllisonNYC

Oh dear look at this deluge that I've begun. I should have private messaged you. And yes, Allison, you may Kung Fu me anyday.

I mentioned those martial arts as balance points for CrossFitters because I think ALL CrossFitters should do either some form of martial arts, or parkour. the reason is that this program, the whole point of this program, is to return our bodies to the roots of fundamental movement, the type we did when we were wearing sabertooth pelts and chasing mastedons. These are the movements that our bodies were designed for, and whats the point of training for them, if we never use them?

The flipside is that our daily society spins us up, alot, and to take the chance to be quiet and balanced is good for us. All of us. Even you, AllisonNYC. However, it seems I hit a nerve with my "be quiet" talk. My apologies, no offense intended, we are obviously all smitten with your exuberance.

I also agree about situational awareness and not getting in a fight. Maybe its because I'm 6'4", but even with years of martial arts and hairy jobs and situations (bouncer, third world travel, tech then student then physician in urban ER's) I have never been in an out and out fight. All situations can be talked down or avoided.

So, if you want defense, Krav Maga is a good one. Or, as the previous gentleman suggested, the simulated self defense scenarios. I myself have also been the "Blue Man" (dude in big padded suit getting pummeled by women) in those scenarios and they do train alot of those skills. Hell, come on up to Albany (you see how we're turning the screws on you?) and I'll show you some escape moves myself.

Anyway, all my affection either way! You'll find something that fits you.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #122
Emily Glenn

Profile:

I've never taken it, but I've heard good things about Krav Maga (the self-defense taught to the Israeli Army). I'd like to try it sometime.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #123
Allison Bishop

Profile:

Worked out with Erik again last night. Love a man in board shorts.

Anyway, I'm ready for FRAN. Going to LuLuLemon now then to the Box!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #124
Brett Andrus

Profile:

You didn't deserve to get attacked! Although I've done martial arts for a combined total of over 17 years, I can't stand violence. We're not dogs, and there's no excusable reason for people to act like that.

It was, however, my training that instinctively kicked in the one time I was attacked outside of the training hall. After seeing all sorts of fancy moves and kicks and hoo-hah, I think the best thing you can do is to arm yourself with a few simple, but effective (against the high on adrenaline or who knows what), bigger, stronger attacker techniques. Unfortunately these are usually the most brutal techniques and it didn't sound like you would want to use them against an attacker. I have to remind myself sometimes that I have a wife and son to get home to and you may want to keep in mind that your brother and all of the people who care about you would probably want you to come home as well.

So, maybe when you get to Albany on the 23rd, we can go over a few basic techniques for you to practice so you would at least have them if you need them.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #125
Rune Lind

Profile:

Start Krav Maga, then you come to Norway next year for the international summercamp.. 6 days of fighting and CrossFit in the evening..
Old 12-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #126
Brandon Oto

Profile:

This is no fun to talk about and rarely goes anywhere productive, but I want to make one point.

You've gotten some good suggestions here and pursuing some of them might be a good idea. But if your specific goal is to never go through this kind of thing again, and you have decided that what's causing it is "being yourself," you may not be able to have it both ways. In other words, I don't know of any devastating kung-fu that will beat off six people while you're in a headlock.

If you want to learn "self defense," then, as you suggested, it will basically involve learning things like how best to make these situations not happen, notice them if they do, and get out of them once they're blinking red. This is not how to be afraid. This is how not to be afraid.

You can have fun and learn excellent and potentially useful things in a good physical self defense course. But that is not really what would address your problem.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #127
Chris Puckett

Profile:

hey Allison, life in the city, eghh. you should have seen nyc back in the late '80's/early 90's, I dont know how many times I met a junkie or a twerp in the lower east side or west mid town that tried to steal anything I had on me, backpack, skateboard, money. I have heard great things about the Krav Maga taught at John Jay College. From what I have seen they cut through a lot of the BS and teach you what you need to know. Living here or in the boro's, I am afraid completely avoiding these situations is not always an option.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #128
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Just thought I'd chime in here. I too tend to look at things through the lens of a pacifist, but have trained and continue to train (though not as regularly) in Krav Maga and strongly suggest it for everyone. Just as CF prepares us for physical challenges and the rigors of life, Krav Maga will prepare you to defend yourself in almost any situation

Here's a good demo link (not sure if this fits as w/f/s- be warned of demonstrated violence) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfgWhEAOJ9A
Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #129
Allison Bishop

Profile:

Whoa Everybody! Thanks for the feedback big time.

I really liked the utube video of the krav maga. Looks like what I want. I'm going to start checking out some places around the city. I'm excited.

December 18, 2007

"Fran"

1st time as RX'd in Pittsburgh last month 9:22

THIS TIME: 7:22!!!
Thrusters: 11/10; 5/5/5; 6/3
Pull-ups: something like 5/5/4/4/3; 4/3/4/4; 3/3/3

2 minute PR in a month so I'm happy. Looking to knock off another minute next time around. Wonder how much the sore legs and booty came into play.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #130
Allison Bishop

Profile:

One more thing about Fran tonight:

I think I did something wrong. I was still standing when I was done and even laughed for a bit. I should have been making sweat angels on the floor.

Harder next time.