CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-11-2003, 05:53 AM   #1
Graham Dean

Profile:  
Hello CrossFit People

I am new to this board and have just read through my 1st issue of the CrossFit Journal. It was the May 03 issue.

I do have a qustion with regards to 1 thing in the journal. The coach was talking about the ab aerobic bunnies or whatever whom are commonly found in the commercial health clubs. He was saying that they and others who have lower ab pouches/pooches(word he used???) have them because they do not isolate their lower abdominals correctly with L-sits(etc...) but rather do crunches.Now my question is, is that I thought that a little pooch on the lower abs is a result of/is fat, and can only be gotten rid of through intelligent nutrition as well as cardio work, like sprints and stuff. I have heard strength coaches say that "You can do ab exercises until you are red in the face, but unless you are losing body fat you will never see your sixpack!" So in essence, you can have a set of bulletproof abs, but because of the fat layer over your abs ... you won't see them.

Is this not the same? Is this pooch(sp?) not a little extra yoke(fat) that must still be worked off before seeing your abs, or is it an actual muscular inadequacy that will only be corrected through proper isolation/work of the lower abdominals like the L-sit, etc.?

I am sorry for such a long post, but please take the time to think about this and contribute your thoughts to the matter.

Thank you, and this is one GREAT Site and Journal, keep it up. I love it!!!

Regards,
Gray, SA.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
Coach

Profile:

Hi Gray,

Yeah, if you've got fat over the lower abs that "pooch" is not going to removed by other than sound nutrition.

But...the aerobic bunnies (I like that) with the distended lower abs frequently have low body fat. And often there is distension due to both fat and lazy/poor muscle tone.

Of course, the correction suggested in the CFJ article is refering to the component of distension caused by poor lower rectus tone and the long noticed correlation of weak hip flexors.

Coach
Old 05-12-2003, 11:21 AM   #3
Graham Dean

Profile:  
Hey Coach

Okay, thank you very much for the quick reply and I can now see what you were meaning.
Once again, I really enjoyed the MayCFJ and I look forward to all my next 11 issues!!

Regards,
Gray, SA.