CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-02-2003, 06:45 AM   #11
Coach

Profile:

The issue of standards has haunted me for decades. The amount of time that I've spent fretting over this concept is embarassing.(In recent months we've even consulted at length with a prominent scientist who has published extensively on measurement and probability-statistics only to find he came to share our doubts and worries.)

The problems have centered around balancing the capacities of bigger and smaller athletes in activities that naturally favor one or the other (lifting vs. calisthenics) while trying to blend the two capacities and functional domains within a single index. We could seperate the tasks, measure seperately, then combine the two to form a single value, but that not only relied on some quirky math that couldn't be easily shared with everyone but seperated the functional domains in a way that is inconsistent with CrossFit ideology.

This month's CrossFit Journal posits a fitness test and makes a rather concerted, studied effort to resolve the needs for measurement, standards, and easy computation while avoiding capriciousness and arbitrariness. I sincerely hope we've succeeded.

We will, this week, post the tests and standards/measures here for those of you who still don't get the Journal.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #12
TJ Cooper

Profile:  
Mr. Miller, thanks for the Info. I will look it over tomorrow or the next day, slammed with training protocals right now. On the topic of standards, you guys are mind readers ! That was the idea inside my noggin on this data mission. I have tried to do the same in simple terms for weights and genders for my recruits when reviewing the standards of performance. I have however found that because they are rather sendetary by our standards, its very difficult to pose a condition standards for improvement with relation to general performance, until i see "what they got" I can see these potential standards working with sports profiles,but how woulfd we get it to work with the general conditioners. My guess now is that i was on the wrong course. I would do better to simply remain with charting the improvement since inception. ( of course now i can simply apply the cross fit standard ) Lastly, Mr. John, would the standards you pose for pullups, etc be lower for lighter folks ? is that what you mean. I would have thought the opposite.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:31 AM   #13
Dan John

Profile:

No, no...a guy (a male athlete) weighing 130 would have a lot of advantages in pullups versus a 230 pounder.

But, read the new journal. That is a approach worth noting. If you are just a lifter, Hoffman works great, but there is more to the concept of conditioning.

One thing I am trying to do with my Tabata Front Squats is to find a weight that I can do 8 sets of 8 with...so the last minute has two groups of 8 reps. This "standard" will allow me to measure workout to workout over time. Once, I tried 155 and got 8, then 6, but the last minute was two sets of doubles. I could barely catch my breath.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:43 AM   #14
Derek

Profile:

Hey Dan,
Can you describe briefly how you felt at the end of this workout? I am looking for specific anaerobic workouts that I can use for an aerobic experiment.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:28 PM   #15
Dan John

Profile:

I stumble around without any mental abilities.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:49 PM   #16
Coach

Profile:

Here is our fitness test as seen in the April CrossFit Journal.

The tests are to be completed one each day for five days.

The first table describes the tests - the second details the scoring system.

Do not despair if you are not able to complete the tests for a score. A minimum score of 20 is indicative of good athleticism. A score of 100 may exceed the upper limits of human capacity. (One of our best, Greg Amundson, scored 12;8;12;8;12 for 52 points.)

http://www.crossfit.com/CFJ/Fitness_Test_1.pdf