CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-04-2003, 09:34 AM   #1
Daniel Ramos

Profile:
This is a question for Coach or anybody else who is interested in giving their oppinion.

Ok, here is the deal. I started crosfit around 6-8 weeks ago to help with my conditioning for combat sports (Judo and Sanshou). I had recently become obcesed with them and was fine in the strenth and flexibility departments but seriously lacked the ability to keep my heart from exploding during sparing. In this aspect the crossfit program has worked wonders, to the point that even the my training partners have notice my increased "wind".

Now here is my dilema... For the whole time I have been training crossfit and for two months before that because of a knee injury I have not done any serious olimpic lifting. The martial arts training and the injury had kinda redirected my attention, but recently (watching the Titan games on ESPN) I remembered that there is a meet in September I would love to compete in.

Now the problem is how do I prepare for this meet while doing crossfit? At first I thougt that I would just keep doing crossfit and leave the specific training for the last 6-8 weeks. But a dissapointing performance in last the press test (used military press instead of bench press) made me rethink this (maybe I need to get more specific). So now my idea is to maybe add some sport practice to my crossfitign just like I practice my MA's. Maybe 5-10 singles at 60-80 percent of each lift before the crossfit workouts. Not to taxating and could be done 3 days a week. On top of my 3-4 crossfit workouts and my 2-3 MA workouts.

Any how, this is my dilema
any oppinions apreciated

Daniel
Old 04-04-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
Daniel Ramos

Profile:
Of course even if I do this practice I would still buckle down to do some more specific training (heavy squats and stuff), 6-8 weeks before the meet. Actualy that brings up anothe question. If I'm doing a dedicated Olimpic lifting program 3-4 days a week, how do I keep my conditioning up during that time? Hell I dont even know how I'm gonna keep up my MA skill training:happy:. I guess it's like Dan John says....

"Specificity works but at a price"

love that thought

Happy Training
Daniel
Old 04-04-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
Dan John

Profile:

I think that there is always some wisdom in focusing on one thing for a while...months, maybe years...and then reaping the benefits of this focus in the other areas of your life. I used to find that intense O lifting for the summers and fall really paid off in my discus and hammer throwing.

Instead of sitting around and doing benches and curls, I was stepping on the platform and competing. The lessons I learned in O lifting helped me in track...especially the Dick Notmeyer mantra of a "tranquil mind."

I will be on the other side of some here, but I would attempt to dive into this meet full force and just keep a hand on your other endeavors. You may find that your time away actually improves your skills. I know a lot of throwers who "retired" and came back much, much better because their subconscious, or whatever, simplified the sport. Moreover, when you "comeback," you often eliminate a lot of those learning errors that hampered you the first time on the journey.

Joseph Campbell had an insight about religion. He liked to "dabble" in all of them and he liked knowing a little about a lot of religions. He once said, though, that he would never have that "profound experience" that a true believer would have in their faith.

My point? To really experience the "joy" of sports, you have really crawl through the crap for a long time and really pay your dues. Then, one day, "WHAM" you reach one of those peak moments that literally can direct you the rest of your life.

When you go to a regular gym, count all the guys who bench and curl week in/week out. They may be up on every supplement and the latest gear and training. But, they will never be more than parrots. I had a friend at Utah State who competed as a bodybuilder and lived on lettuce and dope for three weeks to cut for the state meet. He later told me that he learned more about the body and mind during the six week prep than all the mags and books in the world. He put it on line and made progress.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:15 PM   #4
Daniel Ramos

Profile:
Your advice makes perfect sence Dan, IF I was an experienced martial artist. But in reality I'm not very experience at either sport. I started the practicing the O Lifts in august 2001 and had my firt comp in september 2002 (same meet I want to go this year). The martial arts thing just started 5 months ago. I have not competed yet and have set my mind on competing in judo next moth and In a Sanshou tournament in early July (what I'm really training for right now). The full contact aspect of Sanshou makes me take it a lot more seriously than Judo. Any how right afte that tourny I planed to dive into the Oly lifting aggain. Just wanted to know what would be a good way to not be completely off when I start and at the same time not loose my cardio conditionign while training for it. Maybe I ask for to much.

Your imput is highly apreciated.

happy training
Daniel
Old 04-12-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
Ross Burke

Profile:
Daniel, why don't you lift 3-5 times a week doing squats, cleans, jerks, snatches, and presses? Nothing too hard as you want to still be able to do conditioning and sanshou/judo workouts. For your crossfit type conditioning workouts why don't you just substitute bodyweight exercises for weightlifting exercises? That way you when you do lift you'll be able to give your full concentration and attention to it, and I don't think you'll lose that much of the value of the crossfit workouts. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:25 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Daniel-
Ive never competed in O-lifting but by doing crossfit I improved the quick lifts to a remarkable degree (espescially when i have been self coached!) I wanted to improve them even more and I started working one one element of the O-lifts after every WOD. 9 times out of ten that meant over head squats (thank you Dan John). it does not sound like you are willing at this point to let any of the training slip. this seems like a good way to sneak in a little extra training...focus on technique and positioning...buy the World class coaching tapes!
Good luck
robb
Old 04-15-2003, 04:08 AM   #7
Michael Halbfish

Profile:  
I am curious about how Crossfit compares to John Davies training programs. It seems he takes a similar approach in many ways. It also seems that Escalated Density Training is starting to become more like Crossfit
Old 04-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
They are both good protocols IMO however they both lack the variety of Crossfit and do not use gymnastics.
Robb