CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
Critique my Everything

I finally got the idea to take a camera with me to the gym today. It's about time, since I started and have been doing CrossFit alone for the last couple of months with no coaching at all. I feel I am in dire need of instruction.

Clean Part 1 ~ 1RM
Clean Part 2 ~ 1RM
(Done without Jerk due to sore rotator cuff)

Deadlift ~ 70% 1RM

Back Squat ~ 1RM

Halp.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Critique my Everything

You're not jumping on the clean.

"Jump" isn't just the motion, you actually do clear the ground. Start out with the feet more or less under the hips and straight ahead, then when you explode out of your second pull, land with your feet a bit wider and pointed outward (knees follow, of course).

Once you get this, it will probably help you move towards really dropping into that catch, and then towards the ideal, which is to actively pull yourself under.

Check the videos.

Nice rack position and pretty good solidity on all motions.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Chris Walls

Profile:

Might be minor and might be shot down by others as a non-issue, but if I were coaching you I'd like to see more lumbar curve in the starting positions. It looked just flat to me, which isn't necessarily "wrong" but to me it's leaning towards rounding... So get the proper (read natural) curve in the lower back before assuming the start position. It's easier to get it first, then grab the bar then it is to get it at the bottom or once you've started the lift.

my $0.02

edit: oh ya thats for the cleans and deads...
Old 08-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

On squat you lean onto your toes out of the bottom position. Hips rise faster than the top of your head, and the back angle closes. I do it too, especially with "heavy" weights.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Yeah, that's the thing that stood out most to me. I just figured that, like snaking near max push-ups, it was sort of inevitable.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! I'll use tomorrow's rest day as an opportunity to work on my form.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

On the dead, avoid that initial jerk with her shoulders. You let you arms go straight, sit back, then drive your feet through the floor. Keep your hips down and drive with your feet.

I say this because you jerked the bar initial and this should be a smooth transition. I also say this because your hips came up a little too soon in the dead, but that may have been caused by the jerk at the start of the movement.

Nice and smooth and controlled.

All the best,
Arden
Old 08-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
Craig Howard

Profile:

Quit the pre-bounce for the DL & Clean! Straighten your arms, tighten your lats & back before lift off.

Clean: you are pulling straight - good. The comment above about jump is valid. Your feet start at shoulder width (toes out 30deg) and you land slightly wider - always the same spot every lift. Your feet leave the ground as you pull yourself under the bar for the catch. Move fast to get under that bar - if you pick your feet you'll get there faster.

DL: Solid deadlift. Just take out the bounce by locking your arms, and tightening your lats. Don't waste power.

Craig
Diablo CrossFit

Last edited by Craig Howard : 08-25-2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Identify self
Old 10-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

A new video for those who are interested.

For the past few months, sore shoulders and a lack of bumper plates have prevented me from working much on my heavy overhead lifting. As a result, the Jerk half of my C&J is very much deficient. Today, with good shoulders and a feeling of machismo after hitting the 2xBodyweight Deadlift milestone, I decided to try a max Jerk.

The video below is C&J 135 pounds: what I reckon is my max Jerk, but about 25 pounds short of my max Clean.

Video

Halp.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Jerk is forward.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
Yoon Sohn

Profile:

Hi Joe,
As mentioned before, during the first pull, your hips are still rising faster relative to your shoulders (click on the thumbnail below and see frames 1-5). Your back angle should remain pretty consistent.

In the last frame, at the start of your 2nd pull, it looks like you're coming up on your toes way, way too soon. Try to get the weight onto your heels as you proceed with the first pull and prepare for the 2nd pull.

For your starting position, think "big chest" and "arch your back." Looks like your back's a bit rounded at the start.

Good luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CJ.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	780