CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 AM   #1
Maiko Davidson

Profile:
Hi, first time posting on this particular board. I do Krav Maga but they also offer a MMA class that I'm taking. Only been doing this for a few months so I'm a newbie, I hope my question doesn't sound too odd or stupid. :lame:

In the MMA class I'm usually the only girl and the other guys are usually bigger than me (and I'm pretty small to begin with), so I have issues bucking them off of me. I was wondering if there was an exercise I could do to help with that. Just general ab exercises? Bridging with medicine balls? Or should I just stick with shrimping?

Any help is much appreciated!!
-maiko-
Old 07-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
I see you live in Falls Church, where are you training?

Old 07-24-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Jeff Gentry

Profile:
If you are training with guy's who are bigger than you i would keep trying, I would not use it as or consider it primary and also work on shrimping also.

The guy's should also be made aware of this, if it is a problem and take it into consideration when working with you, if they can just get you down and not let you up and you do not realy know what you are doing then you are not realy benefiting from "training" with them, if all you can do is shrimp you may get good at shrimping and not learn anything else.

I do not know what you know, you might want to talk to your instructor and see what he can show you from the bottom as far as other escape's, technique's or tactic's to deal with this situation.

Jeff
Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
Maiko Davidson

Profile:
Thanks for the input Jeff!

Luckily (and surprisingly) it's not something that happens often, but it was something that was on my mind. The guys are really cool about rolling with me and the instructor does usually tell us to go light. The class is relatively new, but we have covered some escapes from the bottom and I'm sure we'll cover a whooooole lot more! :happy: The class is a real joy, just wished there were more girls taking it...

Matthew (or is it just Matt? :uhoh:)-I train at Krav Works in Falls Church. Use to be called Capital Krav Maga, just changed names and ownership recently.

Just remembered that while the MMA classes are new they use to have a Groundworks and a Sparring class, my mistake! ^_^

(Message edited by shymai on July 24, 2006)
Old 07-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #5

Profile:

the success of bucking will always be entirely dependent on strength and weight, and so you'll pretty much always be at a disadvantage. so you just need to find ways around it - instead of just trying to bridge hard enough to throw someone off of you, work trapping a leg and arm on one side and then bridging up onto that shoulder. if that side of your opponent is immobilized, they can't post, and if you can shrimp, you can get them off of you.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Maiko, we have a little 5'0" 107 lb girl that trains with us if you ever want to roll with someone your size.

She trains BJJ and Muay Thai and also gets frustrated rolling with people twice her size.

Let me know,

Matt-

Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
John Vernon

Profile:
working on your sweeps and becoming more tech may help make up for a lack in size and strength as will a swifter more concise shrimp. Remember, BJJ was designed in part for the smaller opponent defeat a larger. It will help your technique and confidence in developing your sweeps and escapes to train with folks more your size. Wouldn't hurt to go train with Matthew's girl if you are having trouble locating sparring partners.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Becca Borawski

Profile:
In my experience, having the same problem frequently, I don't bother bucking -- you expend a lot of energy with not much result. You're better off getting really good at shrimping and sliding a leg through.

That being said - I will buck occassionally, but never really with the intent to escape or reverse, just to make the person on top reset themselves and distract them from whatever sub they were attempting.

(Message edited by Ring_Girl on July 24, 2006)
Old 07-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
Catherine Imes

Profile:
Bucking does expend a lot of energy. You may already know this, but I'll state it in case you don't..Planting one foot, and using the other knee to knock someone forward or bump is an effective way to create space to shrimp because if someone has a tight mount, shrimping and creating that space for an elbow escape can be difficult. You want to create just enough space to bring your elbow to your knee (easier said than done I know).

Of course, you always have to be careful and not let them get a high mount on you, because once their hips are too high, bucking or bumping isn't doable....As you are gaining experience, baiting them with an arm(not giving it to them), works and will allow you to create space..because if they are going for a submission, there will be an opening..(As Becca suggested).

Good luck

CI
Old 07-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
Mark Dowst

Profile:
Work for halfguard. The first technique you should master is a elbow to knee shrimp with a bridge roll mixed in. They cannot defend them both at the same time and each time you do them in tandem you get more room. Once you stop moving though you will lose all of the progress you made. As you progress start using leg drags and baiting armbars and such. You need to master the bridge and shrimp though because it is those techniques that will save you in a real situation.