CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Departed User

Profile:  
My goal is to be a Navy SEAL. I'll be shipping off for boot camp this summer, then to BUDS (Basic Underwater Demolition SEAL training). Basically , it's like a kick in the nuts by an NFL place kicker... and I'm sitting spread eagle watching him warm up. I've been running and PTing on my own, but I just don't feel AS fit as I would like to be.

Well, I have a buddy who's already a SEAL stationed at SDV1 in Honolulu. I flew out a few months ago to visit him, and he took me to PT with his team one day. Guess what I found out... they LOVE Crossfit! In fact, the guy who turned them all on to it (a new guy) had only been doing it for 5 months, and he was suddenly in better shape than all of them, even the guys who have been there for a long time... and SDV1 has a reputation for their super-intense PTs. Well, the PT for that day was a CF type workout designed by THAT guy. That was my introduction to CF.

Since then, I've continued in conventional wisdom, with little results. Really, my main goal is to drop my 1.5 mile run time to 9 minutes, and my 4 mile run time to 28 minutes. Not only that, but I'd really love to run and not hear that voice that says "running really sucks... running really hurts... I hate running, and running hates me." After reading the testimonials of gains in just 2 months or so, I'm kicking myself for not starting sooner! All the team guys tell me that i need to be fit enough to crush the BUDS fitness test b/c i'll lose some fitness at Navy boot camp. I really hope CF works, and from what I've read, I think it will!

Anyway, yall take care!
Kenny
Old 01-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
John Messano

Profile:
Kenny,

Great post! Good Luck with your training and meeting your goals!

You seem to be on the right track. Why don't you provide some specific details about your fitness background and previous training methods. Tell us where you are right now physically. I'm certain that someone on this board will have ideas for you to target your (perhaps, hidden) weaknesses.

Welcome to CrossFit!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
the following are 2 very useful links for all potential SEALS or Spec-Op personnel. David Werner, a Navy SEAL for 12 years, lays out clearly what it takes to make it through BUDS/Hell Week. It's just as applicable for Q-course as well as the other services.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/5013.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/3040.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/6755.html

the second link especially is to "read and heed".

There should be a sticky or these 3 threads should be in addressed in the FAQ section of the site, IMHO.

(Message edited by franklie on January 10, 2007)
Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
Departed User

Profile:  
Yeah, I'm thinking I should have titled this one "Navy SEALs and Crossfit" so it would get more hits and I would receive more advice lol.

I trained in Kyocushinkai Kan Karate for 8 years, but most of my fitness came from playing high school football for 6. Of course all we did was run sprints and lift weights. That's pretty much it. I graduated in 2000, and I haven't trained a whole lot since then except for some weight lifting off and on.

I had actually never run a solid 1.5 miles until this summer (pathetic, huh?). I'm making gains, but nothing like I'd like to make. Other than the fact that I can do 100+ pushups non-stop, everything else (running, pullups, sit-ups, etc.) is pretty unimpressive.