CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Brian Vandewettering

Profile:
I'm trying to total up a budget for my garage gym. The CF Journal article on the subject, says that they would use all rubber if they were to do it again. In order to reach my DL goals of 2.5 X bw, I'll need almost 600 pounds of rubber! Would that much even fit on the bar? Does it make sense to mix in cheap iron for the slow lifts?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
use added iron to go heavy on the slow lifts(DL, Bench, Squat). I don't see the need for that much rubber.

(Message edited by vuprop on December 28, 2006)
Old 12-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I imagine the needs are diffrent in a commercial training facility from a private home gym. For the commercial facility every extra set of bumper is another client that can participate in a certain exercise once. In a home gym I would think that you only need 50 more pounds in bumpers then your 5 rep max front squat or some other similiar arbitrary number.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Brian,

That would be an unneccessary expense. In fact, unless you buy the expensive IWF certified type bumpers which will cost you over $1000 per set, then you wont even be able to put all that weight in bumpers on a bar.

Here is what most people need. One set of 10kg bumpers, one set of 15kg bumpers, and one set of 20kg bumpers. With the bar, that puts the weight at 242lbs, or 110kilos. Now, with that amount of bumpers on the bar, it is no problem to add another 30-40kilos of iron weight to the bar with no danger of damaging anything. This allows your total bar weight to be 150kilos, or 330lbs, and it can be safely dropped with only the rubber touching the ground by using smaller diameter metal 10kg, 5kg, and 2.5kg metal plates.

Or, if you are using pound plates, you need a pair of 25lb bumpers, a pair of 35lb bumpers, and a pair of 45lb bumpers. This allows you to put 255lbs on the bar with just bumpers. A pair of smaller diameter 25lb plates, a pair of smaller diameter 10lb plates, a pair of 5lb plates, and a pair of 2.5lb plates rounds out your set. This allows you to put a total of 340lbs on the bar and have only the bumpers touch the ground so that the whole thing can be dropped without fear of damaging anything. The metal plates not only are available to add weight, but also to adjust the weight of the bar to weights unreachable with bumpers alone.

I have not heard of any Crossfitters cleaning or snatching weights above the mid 300's in their workouts. I am sure there are a couple out there, but this level of ability suggests a prior "specialization" in the explosive lifts and such a person is probably well aware that they need a diffferent level of equipment from average and is quite familiar from experience as to what they need.

If you are deadlifting, squatting, benching, or anything else that doesnt involve dropping the bar, then use metal plates.

Metal plates are cheap, I can pick them up around here at Play It Again sports for 39 cents a pound, a lot cheaper than even the cheapest bumper plate. Most of the time you can find old metal plates even cheaper than this at garage sales or such if you want to look.

This is why the weight set that I maket as the "Crossfit set" has in it what it has. It is what the average Crossfitter needs to do the explosive lifts, and it assumes that such a person will be able to go to a used sporting goods store and pick up for minimal expense the metal plates that they need to fill in, in most situations these can be picked up locally for less than the shipping cost that I could incure were i to ship them with the set. this means that it makes economical sense for a person to simply buy them locally and not from me and is why i dont include them with the cheaper sets.

Glenn
Old 12-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Brian Vandewettering

Profile:
Perfect. Thank you!