CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
Adam Carlson

Profile:
low bar shoulder pain

I've been working on the low bar squat for some time now, and it was going really well... until recently. During one WOD I did some HSPUs, pullups, and KB swings. After that WOD, my shoulder felt a little awkward.

That was about three weeks ago. This week, I did back squats and my left shoulder was not happy with me. It still feels awkward/painful in certain positions. Low bar hurts. Bringing my arms back as if bench pressing feels really funky, and my shoulder is limited in it's range of motion on the left side. I also have both anterior and posterior pain when I bring my arm into trying to do a low bar position.

Am I impinged somehow? What can I do to get rid of this pain? I tried some trigger point stuff, but am not completely sure of where I should be hitting :/
Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: low bar shoulder pain

There's a couple of threads on this using the search button!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Or, now that you made the thread, just scroll down and look at the similar posts.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Adam Carlson

Profile:

the search things is sometimes a bit tricky, or else I'm just too used to google doing all the thinking for me I'll work on it

I checked the similar posts at the bottom, and the consensus that I get is I need to work on my flexibility. Just gotta suck it up, and let the stretch happen. I think that I'll work on it a little each day to try and get shoulder mobility going. Anything worth doing requires the time put in for setting it up, right?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

I pretty much always do some light pressing before doing low bar squats now...warms up the shoulders just enough to get into position comfortably. I'd offer to show you at the Cert next week but i'm sure there will be plenty of folks with much better form than me knocking around!

also, it's easier just to search this forum from google rather than using the search function, i find.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Adam Carlson

Profile:

that's a good idea, on both counts. I was thinking about doing it today, actually, but did some other shoulder stuff instead.

I'm hoping that I can get some help at the cert for a number of things, like form (esp. deadlift), a tight psoas, and shoulder flexibility things I get the same ache in my shoulder when I do dips right now too. I think part of it might be from a deep bruise that I got from letting my finger get sandwiched under the bar during front squats last week.