CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Adam Carlson

Profile:
glute and ham activation exercises?

I'm convinced that the trouble that I have with DLs comes from tight hamstrings and from my glutes and hams not firing properly. What are good exercises to teach my body to cue those muscles?

Thanks for your time!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Daniel Higgins

Profile:
Re: glute and ham activation exercises?

What do you mean by "tight?" Because "tightness" is generally considered in poor mobility/movement and that is an issue you solve by stretching and warming up.

However, in most lifts, you want certain muscle groups to be contracted to handle the load properly. If you were to attempt a deadlift by simply walking up to the bar and lazily bending over to pick it up, the lift would be poor.

Are there any specific parts of the lift where you are having trouble? Breaking it from the floor, the mid lift to the knees, locking out, etc?

Glutes and hams are the main movers in the deadlift and most other lower body lifts. The best way to train them is to do the lift itself. Supplementary and assistance lifts are useful to train weak points, but weak points are often misi-diagnosed from not knowing the primary lift itself. If you are a novice lifter, then your best approach is to learn proper technique and lifting form and continue until progress stalls, then re-assess your training. If you are an intermediate lifter, then assess which part of the lift you are having trouble with.

The deadlift has been my crap lift for a while, and I always have had problems cuing my hamstrings and glutes to fire properly. My problem was always in breaking the bar from the floor as my hips rose too fast causing me to "stiff leg" it. I never had a problem with lockout. I have been doing speed pulls for a while to solve this problem. These are deadlifts done around 45-60% of your 1RM for speed, not volume. I also add chains to the barbell to make sure I have the best barspeed. These are done for 4-8 sets of 1-3 reps. I do them at about 52% of my 1RM (not including chain weight). If your problem is getting the bar off the ground, this may help. I chose this method over high rep pulls because they simply tax my body too much; after like 5 reps my form breaks down terribly.

Last edited by Daniel Higgins : 08-25-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

wfs
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/noglutes.html
Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Adam Carlson

Profile:

i've always had tight hamstrings. I think that that is the main problem for most of my issues. I have had back trouble from time to time, and I think that it is caused directly by hamstrings pulling on my lower back. I need to commit more time to stretching and lengthening my hams. I used to be a cross country runner, plus I've always been reluctant to stretch (until I get injured, then I'll stretch for awhile but soon stop). Stretching is like veggies, you know you need it, but it's hard to get motivated to go after it. I'm working on trying to find a stretching routine that I can do daily (hopefully multiple times a day) to work on loosening up tight muscles.

The part of the DL that always gets to me is the last part of the movement, when I open up the hip angle. I'm trying to concentrate on my form, but I think that I slightly round my back when I'm trying to straighten out and lock out at the top. This might have something to do with tight hams exerting more of a pull on my lower back, causing me to lose the arch. Then again, I might be totally off there. Everything else in the lifting part feels fine.

The other part that feels weird at times is when I put the weight back down. Again, it happens when I'm just starting to close the hips.

Another thing that I've noticed when I do DLs is that I feel like all of the pressure is on my lower back. I don't feel my glutes tightening up or my hamstrings working. I consiously try and tighten up the glutes when I lift, but not so sure about what to think of when trying to recruit the hamstrings.

I do feel some soreness in my hamstrings today (I did some lighter DLs just to see if I could feel through it a bit better), so that gives me some hope that things must be firing somewhat.

I just remembered, another example of my tight hamstrings: when I do squats, I get that little downward dip at the bottom of the range of motion I really need to spend time working on flexibility of the hamstrings :/