CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #2701
Alix Clark

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

Nice pull up PR Walker - that's freaking awesome!! Wow!!

I struggle with my o-lifting learning curve. It's not really a priority for me I must admit - so long as I can DL and BS with OK technique I'm reasonably happy. Coordination is def not one of my strong points. And I'm not prepared to completely frustrate myself by spending hourse working on C&J etc. Prob not the best attitude but I exercise for fun at well as fitness.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #2702
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Clark View Post
And I'm not prepared to completely frustrate myself by spending hourse working on C&J etc. Prob not the best attitude but I exercise for fun at well as fitness.
I think that's the great thing about CF. Everyone will find something different that is "fun" for them. Oly lifts are fun for me. DLs, not so much. However, I'm about to start a DL cycle because they are necessary for me to be better at CF...and being better is fun and will make me happy. Today was Grace. That made me happy!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #2703
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

That's funny. I love DL's but I'm very shaky on the Oly lifts. Just not confident on my form.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #2704
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I wanted to let everyone know, in the spirit of girliness...I found amazing jeans the other day. I ALWAYS have trouble with jeans because of the old "can't fit them over the *** and legs that do a million squats and then they totally gap around my waist" dilemma. Designer jeans usually do it but they are super expensive. SO I happened to be at Kohl's the other day and tried on Vera Wang's jeans...and they were INCREDIBLE. Just enough stretch to fit over my legs without being too clingy, and just high waisted enough to not gap at the top! And a nice dark wash with just a little bit of a flare at the bottom...perfecto. I actually got compliments on the street.

The best part is the jeans retail at $50, which is reasonable on its own, but being at Kohl's means that they are usually marked down to the $30-$35 range.

I felt obligated to pass along this awesomeness. That is all.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #2705
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

If only I had that problem.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #2706
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
If only I had that problem.
Question on Coach Rip's board:

"Im vegetarian and i was wondering if you have trained any people with such circumstances who were successful? I cant eat fish but i can still get milk and whey."

Rip: No, I haven't. This is not really a vegetarian program

Another reply, NOT Rip:

I'm confused...you're a vegeterian who can only afford to drink a 1/4 gallon of milk a day....and you're wondering why you can't gain weight?
Is this for real?
What answer did you think Rip was going to give you - or anyone else for that matter?
Why do you think you can't gain weight?
Do you relaize that many of us on this board are consuming around 5k of calories a day and we still cant gain weight? - and it's only when we buck up and eat 7-8k calories a day that we actually gain weight?
The lifting is easier than the eating- thats all there is to it.

Want strong legs, eat more!!!!!! My comment-Jay
Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #2707
Jennifer Styles

Profile:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say how much I love reading all of your posts on this thread. I started CF about a month ago at Mt. Baker Crossfit in Mount Vernon, WA. I kind of stumbled across the program and immediately wondered, "where have you been all my life?" Mt. Baker offers an On-Ramp Program (which I know some of the other affiliates do as well) and I have to say, this was a great way for me to get into the movements and gain confidence and strength. You go three times a week for 4 weeks and each session you focus on one movement - squat, deadlift, push press, snatch, kettlebell swing, etc. Plus, I had one-on-one coaching which was huge. Once you feel comfortable with the movement you do a workout that incorporates it.

Today was my 12th session and in 4 weeks I can see a big improvement in my strength and flexibility. I've progressed to a lighter band for pull-ups, have a much greater range of movement in my squats and the best part was repeating the workout that I had done at the beginning of the program -

200m run
15-12-9
squats
pushups
ring rows
x3

and took over 2.5 minutes off of my initial time! So now I'll be back there next week feeling confident enough to get my butt kicked by the regular WODs. So a BIG thanks to Skip and Rhonda for their support and encouragement - I'm wearing my CF shirt with pride today! Can't wait to see where all of this takes me...
Old 08-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #2708
Liz Edmonds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
I wanted to let everyone know, in the spirit of girliness...I found amazing jeans the other day. I ALWAYS have trouble with jeans because of the old "can't fit them over the *** and legs that do a million squats and then they totally gap around my waist" dilemma. Designer jeans usually do it but they are super expensive. SO I happened to be at Kohl's the other day and tried on Vera Wang's jeans...and they were INCREDIBLE. Just enough stretch to fit over my legs without being too clingy, and just high waisted enough to not gap at the top! And a nice dark wash with just a little bit of a flare at the bottom...perfecto. I actually got compliments on the street.

The best part is the jeans retail at $50, which is reasonable on its own, but being at Kohl's means that they are usually marked down to the $30-$35 range.

I felt obligated to pass along this awesomeness. That is all.
Ok, I am going to the store right now!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #2709
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

Uh. Thanks, Jay? Since the issue's been raised I'll go ahead and say this: I've been a very strong middle distance runner of a very good body weight while on a vegetarian diet: I wore a size six in those days instead of a twelve. I'm not overweight because of the vegetarianism. I'm overweight because injuries stopped me from running, which led me to become inactive out of laziness. Plus the cupcakes, which has nothing to do with being a vegetarian.

I've been doing CF for about two months or something. I think it's only fair to give the program plenty of time to whip me into shape. I've got no doubts that if I continue with CF, I'll be just fine with my body shape.

I'm not sure if you're trying to say that a vegetarian can't be strong, fast, flexible, capable, or thin. But it sort of sounded that way, and it's not true.

If you tell me I can't reach my optimum performance in a given sport while eating vegetarian, I'd still tell you I'm not convinced, but you might be right. It wouldn't change my ethics or my eating habits, though.

I'm just trying to get in shape and be capable at a range of physical tasks, and maybe wear size eight or ten jeans someday. I'm not expecting to go out and compete with people. Jeez.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #2710
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Rachel;

My apologizes, as I must have spaced out. For some unknown reason, I thought your comments referred that you weren't making progress on DeadLifts, hence you're legs weren't getting stronger.

My comment was directed at your diet from that angle, as I know you're a Veggie.

Keep doing what you;re doing, this thread is a very good support group, plus it has some very strong women posting.

Sorry again.....