CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
Randy Hill

Profile:
Re: Tall People GTFIH

Nice! Work around your injuries and keep it up, man. 41 is NOT too old.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #22
Dave Gibbs

Profile:

never too old for this shiz... or too tall.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #23
Josh Tuttle

Profile:

6'2" 185lbs

I started Crossfit 11/08 and haven't looked back sense. I was around 195lbs when I started. My first WOD was Cindy and it killed me. I can't remember how many rounds I made it. I was just dead.

January 09

Deadlift - 280
Back Squat - 185
Clean and Jerk - 145
Snatch - 75
Cindy - 10
Max Rep Pull-ups (kipping) - 10

July 09

Deadlift - 355
Back Squat - 230
Front Squat - 210
OHS - 150
Clean and Jerk - 185
BNJ - 200
Snatch - 135
Cindy - 14 rounds
Helen - 11:23
Max Rep Pull-ups (kipping) - 25
500m row - 1:30
400m run - 58.1 sec

I have come a long way. I feel quicker and stronger my body comp has changed immensely. I try to do Paleo at least 80% but that isn't always the case.

Pressing movements are my weakness. I can't get a HS pushup yet. I am actively trying though.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
Dave Cox

Profile:

My pallet bands came today from McMaster-Carr (WFS)

Got the heavy duty 1 1/2 X 113" bands (2 for 23.00) and they work great. Going to incorporate these assisted pull-ups into my warm up routine. Hopefully, in time I'll reach one of my goals of doing un-assisted pull-ups.

Thanks to the suggestions on this board concerning the McMaster-Carr pallet bands.

Dave
Old 08-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #25
Alix Clark

Profile:

Tall chick checking in - I'm 6ft tall and 37yo - which is great for rowing and box jumps, not so great for o-lifting (my nemesises (sp??)).

I don't mind pull ups so much but suck at power cleans, clean and jerk etc. My max DL is currently 254# (I weigh 154#) and I always feel like I have to lift it sooooo much further than everyone else.

Nice to see some tall people here. I love CF but def think it would be "easier" if I was 6" shorter!!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #26
Mark Janus

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Refenes View Post
Well, I'm not really a tall skinny bastard, but I have done my fair share of complaining that CF is biased against tall people
6'3"/240 here, and I think we should wear it like a badge! If it was easy (big or not) everyone would do it... we get the "benefit" of saying we're doing more work in the same movements because of the increased distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Clark View Post
Tall chick checking in - I'm 6ft tall and 37yo - which is great for rowing and box jumps, not so great for o-lifting (my nemesises (sp??)).

I don't mind pull ups so much but suck at power cleans, clean and jerk etc. My max DL is currently 254# (I weigh 154#) and I always feel like I have to lift it sooooo much further than everyone else.

Nice to see some tall people here. I love CF but def think it would be "easier" if I was 6" shorter!!
Even if you found it easier then you'd be mad you weren't doing it FASTER! Be proud of moving more weight a longer distance than the rest...
Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #27
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

6'2 225. Not as tall as some of you though. Pull-ups have been my nemesis for a long time which is part of the reason Im doing CF.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #28
Justin Metts

Profile:

lanky *** checking in.

starting 6'1" 215lbs/ now 175lbs.

Feel like O-lifts/powerlifts/ were made to embarrass me in front of my peers. Namely, deadlifts. Am I the only one in here that feels like they have twice as far to go with half the mass? It has been the bane of my crossfit existence. Of course, I'm feeding my goat like crazy. Also trying to get some more functional weight back on me that I lost from when I first started. Really and truly I have just always had looooong chicken legs. They go up to my armpits and have no size or leverage. ugh. Ok better now, I needed that.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #29
Gabriel Goodwin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Metts View Post
lanky *** checking in.

starting 6'1" 215lbs/ now 175lbs.

Feel like O-lifts/powerlifts/ were made to embarrass me in front of my peers. Namely, deadlifts. Am I the only one in here that feels like they have twice as far to go with half the mass? It has been the bane of my crossfit existence. Of course, I'm feeding my goat like crazy. Also trying to get some more functional weight back on me that I lost from when I first started. Really and truly I have just always had looooong chicken legs. They go up to my armpits and have no size or leverage. ugh. Ok better now, I needed that.
I have chicken legs as well. I believe there is a support group thread for people like us in the "Stuff and Nonsense" section. My chicken legs have gotten a little bigger since starting CF, mostly from the heavy @ss squats below parallel. And I feel ya on the deadlifts. Right now I'm at 6'2", 192lbs.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #30
Justin Metts

Profile:

Yes I think the deep BS's are helping me alot. I know without a doubt I have improved alot in this arera and my legs are the strongest they've ever been, I just still have a long way to go. I am not even worried about them "looking like I'm sitting on a chicken" I'll just be glad when I am no longer struggling to keep up with the rest of the guys at my affiliate in the lower body section.