CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #251
Paul Sousa

Profile:
Re: What is considered fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
Well it depends on how were measuring "fit" is it total work done, or how many dimensions of fitness you and the shotputter are above average at.
I would say total work in as many dimensions as possible as efficiently as possible. Take the grand total and whoever comes out on top is fittest.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #252
Bob Guere

Profile:

I suggest we (and by we I mean me I guess ) should do the math if it's that troubling.

Take a shot putter, measure the duration of the work (just the throw) the weight, how far the weight travels, and come up with your work. Let's go with a 12# shot, 3 second time to throw, and a 50 ft. throw. This comes to 200 ft/lbs per second.

Then take tabata squats for an average man. 6 ft talk, 2 ft ROM in the squat, let's say he can maintain 15 reps for each of the 8 20-second rounds. He generates 300 ft/lbs. per second.

Who is more fit? Average power says the Tabata guy in this tiny snapshot example.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #253
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
I suggest we (and by we I mean me I guess ) should do the math if it's that troubling.

Take a shot putter, measure the duration of the work (just the throw) the weight, how far the weight travels, and come up with your work. Let's go with a 12# shot, 3 second time to throw, and a 50 ft. throw. This comes to 200 ft/lbs per second.

Then take tabata squats for an average man. 6 ft talk, 2 ft ROM in the squat, let's say he can maintain 15 reps for each of the 8 20-second rounds. He generates 300 ft/lbs. per second.

Who is more fit? Average power says the Tabata guy.
The problem with that is he possibly only more fit at tabata squats. Now if you had both people do the same two test and combined the results you could say who is the fittest tabata squatting shotputter. Now extrapolate this over an infinite number of tasks and the person who has the highest overall output wins!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #254
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
The problem with that is he possibly only more fit at tabata squats. Now if you had both people do the same two test and combined the results you could say who is the fittest tabata squatting shotputter. Now extrapolate this over an infinite number of tasks and the person who has the highest overall output wins!
Yes, that is true, hence my "snapshot" view comment. I understand this is not a very accurate argument... but an example of the ability to measure.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #255
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Which is exactly what the hopper model is.

And it was the combination of hopper, 10 general physical skills, etc, etc... that lead to IWCABTMAAD, because that focus took care of all the rest.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #256
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Quote:
Yes, that is true, hence my "snapshot" view comment. I understand this is not a very accurate argument... but an example of the ability to measure.
Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be misconstrued as saying fitness is relative to the task.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #257
Sean Dunston

Profile:

from a legit question by OP, to full on trolling by the usual...

are we done, yet?

http://patiodelrecreo.files.wordpres...=229&h=130
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #258
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Have them fight to the death after completing both tests.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #259
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be misconstrued as saying fitness is relative to the task.
Nope, not what I meant, and not what I've been saying.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #260
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:

Who is more fit? Average power says the Tabata guy in this tiny snapshot example.
Ok, but what if the shotputter also has lower bf% and a higher V02 and is more limber. According to the 10 dimensions he is more fit.