CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Justin Gross

Profile:
Sitting on my hands is one of the hardest things I've ever done

A couple months ago I got myself a type 1 AC separation, and ever since then I've been trying to let it recuperate. Every time I try to work around it I end up making it worse so I've had to stop about 90% of my physical activity (CF is completely out). My chiropracter told me that it will take about 60 days of recuperation before I can even think of starting to load it.

The problem is that it only takes a small amount of pressure to pull it out of joint, at which point I have to get it reset. A moment of thoughtlessness and I've got to start the 60 days over again.

This physical inactivity has thrashed my life. It's caused feelings of depression, frustration and anger. If it weren't for my friends and I would really be screwed. I know that it's gonna be that way for a while so I just gotta suck it up.

The reason I'm posting this is that even my friends can't really relate to what a huge effect this is having on me, and maybe some of you guys can.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Sitting on my hands is one of the hardest things I've ever done

It is depressing indeed dude. But there is nothing you can do, just wait it out, and think that eventually you'll be rocking those workouts again!!!

I dealt with shoulder pain for over a year before I had AC joint surgery. 7 weeks later I was doing CF workouts (scaled) again. Surgery was in late May '08, that shoulder is stronger than ever now I think
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Justin-can't you work out without that arm? I know what you mean about inactivity trashing your life. Remember the video on the main page of a veteran doing a one-arm FGB?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
James Napier

Profile:

How about weighted lunges with a vest or backpack for a while and give that shoulder a rest? You could work on jumping one arm pullups with the good one for kicks. What about swimming and cycling? Anything to keep busy and keep your mind off of the shoulder while it heals.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Justin Gross

Profile:

I appreciate the suggestions. Believe me I've tried to work around it in every way possible and the result was always the same. And while there are a few exercises I can safely perform, I am going to treat my shoulder as if it were made of glass for the next couple months. My livelihood and my sanity depend on a properly functioning body and, while it's rough, chilling for a couple months is a small price to pay for it.

I will definitely be back.

Last edited by Justin Gross : 01-15-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Jess McMillian

Profile:

Hey Justin,
Back in May I had surgery to repair a tear in my meniscus. Because they actually had to stitch the cartilage back together I was unable to bend my right leg for 5 weeks, period. Bending it ran the risk or ripping the stitches so to speak.
While I don't think I was quite as limited as you are now I had the same feelings- frustration, depression, helplessness, like everything I had worked for (I was a college athlete and am a Marine Corps Officer Candidate) was lost.
As stupid as it sounds, after about five days straight of not sleeping I...meditated. Focused on my goals. Read a TON. It helped a little, but it was still a hellish five weeks.
Sounds like you have the right of it, though. Best of luck to you.

Jess
F/27/5"2"/140 Squat: 195# C&J: 140# Snatch: 115# DL: 245# Fran: 4:46
Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Len Nuanez

Profile:

I had a similar case of depression set in, I had a nagging pain in my right hand that just would not get better, kept going to the doc and they kept sending me to physical therapy with another prescription of vicodin or percocet depending on how bad it hurt. I kept CF'ing, even got up to my very first muscle up!! Only to get an MRI 3 weeks later and find out that my wrist was actually BROKEN, so I got benched immediately and stayed there for the next 5 months!! I went from Gymrat to couch potatoe, I feel that my wife got the worst part of the whole deal because she had to put up with me on a daily basis!! But I finally healed and am now back on the road to a muscle up. So youre not alone and we know your pain!!
USN 251 Lbs, 6'2" 185 SP/545 DL/515 BS, Fran 5:03, Helen 9:12
http://www.bodybynuanez.blogspot.com