CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Ed Haywood

Profile:
bruised sternum?

Tonight I hurt myself doing 1RM of HPC. Was trying 175 and I caught it with my chest instead of in the rack position. Bar impacted about 2 inches below where my collarbones connect. My chest immediately hurt, and I could not work out anymore.

The pain runs down my sternum and is worse when I exhale or inhale completely. It is a dull pain, not sharp. It is tolerable and I don't need painkillers or anything, but I definitely don't feel like working out. I can do pushups without pain, so I don't think it's in my pecs.

So what's down there? Ligament? Cartilage? Bone?

What did I most likely hurt, and how long do I need to heal?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: bruised sternum?

There's a bit of each there.
http://academic.wsc.edu/faculty/jato...arcic_cage.jpg (WFS)

The blue is cartilage. The rest is bone.

As for healing time, I'm no help there.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Ben Chapman

Profile:

I've done this before. When it happened to me, it was someone hitting me in the chest during a rugby game and I could audibly hear a cracking sound. Then the pain just like you described. It's cartilage, it connects both sides of your rib cage together. When it happened to me, it took a good month before I had zero pain. It doesn't get much blood flow and takes a bit to heal, but it's not a huge deal, just take it easy on your chest and suck up the pain when you breathe.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Thanks. Looking at the anatomy drawings and thinking about how it happened, I'm guessing it is cartilage too. It wasn't a sharp impact, more of a sudden loading of weight onto the top of my sternum. The bar couldn't have dropped more than an inch or two, but I also extended my legs to meet it with my chest.

It's not overly sensitive to the touch, but movement that causes articulation of my upper rib cage causes pain. Dips, for instance, feel like I am being ripped apart. Other exercises don't hurt. Breathing doesn't hurt unless I deliberately overinflate or exhale completely.

No cracking noises, so hopefully I didn't hurt it as bad as you did, and it will heal quicker. I've had my share of serious injuries and I can tell that this, while inconvenient and uncomfortable, is not a serious injury.

Question: should I lay off all exercise, all upper body exercise, or only those exercises that cause excessive discomfort?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Update: it's feeling much better. No pain when deep breathing or exhaling. Still hurts some to do heavy upper body lifting, especially dips, but no problems with lower body and cardio. Based on recovery so far, I should be back at 100% within a week. I think I got lucky, and learned a harsh lesson about catching the bar on my chest. Don't do that.