CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #181
Ryan Jones

Profile:
Re: Lawsuit brought against CF affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian De Mio View Post
Rhabdo causes:

1. crushing injuries
2. shock
3. long periods of confinement such as hospitalizations (various causes)
4. overexertion
5. electrolyte abnormalities
6. several inherited genetic abnormalities
7. thrombosis
8. pulmonary embolism
9. alcohol use
10. alcohol withdrawal (how many folks have drank heavy the night before a workout?)
11. sepsis
12. cocaine, XTC, pcp, methamphetamines
13. high cholesterol medications called statins (lot of folks take these meds)
14. some antipsychotic meds (many folks on these meds)
15. any drug that interferes with potassium (particularly some blood pressure medications called diuretics can do this)
16. Infections (multiple different contributors)
17. autoimmune disorders
What he said about other causes...I'm willing to bet rhabdo was caused by any number 1 through 17 except #4 strictly during the crossfit workout. A bunch of 8 year olds did this workout in 1/2 -> 1/4 the time he took. Are you kidding me? This guy obviously got rhabdo from something else shortly after this workout, heard about the crossfit/rhabdo connection, and saw dollar signs. As much as I'm a fan of George, I agree with what the other guy said, he's a total 'puss.'
Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #182
Jay Adams

Profile:

It baffles me that anyone is surprised. I saw on several affiliates who were doing the exact WOD and stating the reasons for doing so were to show what a pus Makimbo is. That is not the issue. VERY VERY strong and fit people get rhabdo. CFHQ was not listed in the suit, a trainer was who by the way has been trounced on threads prior to this suit for sucking up a storm as a trainer and an affiliate. I read somewhere that he was removed/rejected as an affiliate and no one has even mentioned the fact that he may have been reckless. These suits make me wanna puke, but I can honestly see why they happen. Every day affiliates show pix of clients puking after work outs. Everything you ever read has statements akin to "i thought i would die" "it hurt so bad" "i have never felt such pain" Go on the boards and comment posts and see trainers talk about "smoking" someone, "when a globo trainer visits we blow him out to show him what crossfit is all about". I don't think anyone at CFHQ did anything actionable, but you will see suit after suit with the "your a big pus%#" attitudes of trainers". Waivers are a joke, if someone wants to sue you they will. If I were suing an affiliate I would dig up all the reckless comments about intentionaly hurting people and all the puke pix and videos and beat you with them in court. Coach is VERY VERY serious about rhabdo in Level 1. I was surprised at how clear he was on the dangers of rhabdo and the necessity of scaling. I assumed he would nudge and wink over it. I have been to numerous affiliates who took me at my word that i do cf and threw me to the wolves in a group. Last week I was working out with a HS senior at an affiliate while traveling. It was her 3rd cf wod and she was getting owned by the weight and intensity. Her form went to nothing and she was shaking from the work load. Never encouraged to stop. She was wrecked and on the final round was dry heaving and still being cheered to "get some". This is where these suits will continue to happen.

Last edited by Jay Adams : 10-15-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #183
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Adams View Post
VERY VERY strong and fit people get rhabdo.
From going too hard on very very intense workouts that your average joe, let alone your average 8 year old, can't accomplish...especially not in 1/4 the time. I'm still not buying it.

I also think you're completely overreacting and exaggerating the meaning of when people mention getting 'smoked' or 'wanting to die.'
Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #184
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
I also think you're completely overreacting and exaggerating the meaning of when people mention getting 'smoked' or 'wanting to die.'

But . . . he's probably not exaggerating what a jury of average (lardass) Americans would think when presented with the "evidence" he described.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #185
Alex Europa

Profile:
Thumbs down Re: Lawsuit brought against CF affiliate

I think Jay makes a good point about Javier Lopez; to the best of my knowledge, it has never been made public as to why Ruthless is no longer an affiliate (nor should it be, just making an observation). I also have to give the author of the newspaper article credit for creativity: "Ruthless trainer."

I'm no lawyer (clearly, I'm not nearly smart enough) but I would have to demonstrate to the jury what 90 reps in 20 minutes looks like (seriously, imagine watching a guy do 1 air squat every 15 seconds for 5 minutes-there's no time to take a sip of water in the 14 seconds you're just standing around?), and then follow it up with the CF Kids video. Then, pick up any exercise magazine off the shelf and show them a bodybuilding type "legs day" workout: 4 x 12 back squats and 4 x 12 leg presses (w/ 60 sec of rest) is 96 reps in less than 20 minutes and uses much heavier weights than Mimms was using. The argument that there wasn't any rest is silly - given the cycle time of those exercises for the average person (not average CrossFitter), the work to rest ratio was like 1:5 (burpees), 1:10 (thrusters), and 1:15 (squats) - the rest was clearly built into the workout if it took him the 20 minutes that he claims. I mean, really, call to the jurors' common sense...damn, nevermind...

It's interesting that the cause of the rhabdo was never called into question, it seems like a critical piece of the puzzle to me, considering all the possible causes.

This lawsuit sets a scary precedent for affiliates and gives the naysayers some powerful ammunition. I really hope this doesn't spread more fear through the military too.

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa : 10-16-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #186
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...awsuit_100908/ (wfs)

Discuss.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #187
Derek Maffett

Profile:

... discuss what in particular?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #188
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

I was specifically wondering if anyone had been to the case and had any information as to the reasoning behind the court's decision and whether it's being appealed. Would anyone know where to find that?

I'm not an affiliate, so I'm not aware of the legal/business implications of this, but those who have more knowledge than I do, do you think it'll impact the way affiliates train in the future?

I personally find it disheartening, but I'd like to know the findings of the court and any evidence that came out over the course of the trial.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 10-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #189
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Gotcher View Post
I was specifically wondering if anyone had been to the case and had any information as to the reasoning behind the court's decision and whether it's being appealed. Would anyone know where to find that?

I'm not an affiliate, so I'm not aware of the legal/business implications of this, but those who have more knowledge than I do, do you think it'll impact the way affiliates train in the future?

I personally find it disheartening, but I'd like to know the findings of the court and any evidence that came out over the course of the trial.
I am not a lawyer, nor do I ever wish to become one, but Sean Dunston is a lawyer and a CrossFitter. He was at the trial and has said that he took notes. He has posted many times throughout this thread. He has said he would like to submit his notes into an article for the CFJ. And also, the sticky about rhabdo under the affiliates section was spurred out of this thread as well.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #190
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I don't think that his performance in one workout necessarily makes him a "puss". I can do the workouts, but I'm sure having a wife and being in the military is a lot bigger challenge than lifting weights. He served our country, have more respect for the man. ****ing blood isn't something I'd like to do either. Being physically disabled will effect him for the rest of his life.

Plenty of tough people don't do crossfit.

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 10-30-2008 at 03:27 AM.