CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Gregg Arsenuk

Profile:
Warehouse Utility Costs

Can anyone offer experience with utility bills for their warehouse? Monthly gas/electric costs on avg? I am in NJ and have a 5000 sq ft space w/15ft ceilings. I am assuming I will be paying an arm and a leg. But figure this is Crossfit and I will limit the use of heat as much as I can get away with. What wld also be helpful is if anyone has any energy saving ideas that they have employed or know of any policies the electric and gas co's have for energy saving.

Thx
Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:
Re: Warehouse Utility Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Arsenuk View Post
Can anyone offer experience with utility bills for their warehouse? Monthly gas/electric costs on avg? I am in NJ and have a 5000 sq ft space w/15ft ceilings. I am assuming I will be paying an arm and a leg. But figure this is Crossfit and I will limit the use of heat as much as I can get away with. What wld also be helpful is if anyone has any energy saving ideas that they have employed or know of any policies the electric and gas co's have for energy saving.

Thx
you should really look into an energy broker. i mean to say that we use an energy broker here and he is paid buy the energy company he represents and he negotiates savings in the industry and cut our costs in half. we signed up for a 12 month contract but locked in an awesome rate. not sure if you have theese types in your area though?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Gregg Arsenuk

Profile:

I am not sure if we do have energy brokers. But I will def be looking into that. Thx
Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

We have 8k square feet and utilities are problematic.

Our utilities run from $350 in the summer to 2k in the winter. The main problem is being in the midwest, and temperature have been in the single digits of late. I try not to turn on the heat at all and keep the temp at around 60 degrees.

A good rule of thumb in our area is to budget $2 per square foot annually for utilities. 8k sqft x $2 = $16k per year or about $1500 per month.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Gregg Arsenuk

Profile:

Hey, Thx Doug. Sorry in the delay of response. Those numbers def help me in understanding what lies ahead for me. Those west coasters have it sooo easy dont they?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Wow. Thanks for sharing those numbers: they are fierce. I'm curious as to the numbers for affiliates with smaller spaces in northern regions. New England (or other northern)affiliates, care to chime in?

The only reason I ask is that I looked hard for a warehouse space but just couldn't get one in my area, so we opened our box in an old but nice factory building. It's a mix of offices and retail and wholesale (which means our noise level during the daytime has to be low -- but which hasn't been a problem for us . . . yet) but the big benefit is that those office people love heat. The bleed-over factor is fabulous, as is the rest of the insulation, etc. I keep the heat set between 58 and 62 and my highest gas bill so far is still under $50/month. (1400 s.f.)

I didn't realize how lucky I was until I took a look at the numbers you guys shared. If we do ever think about moving, I'll be sure to keep the increased heating cost up front in my mind. Just one more factor for future affiliates to really consider when they're looking for rental space.