CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Occassionally I read about someone being a certified crossfit trainer. How does one achieve that impressive title? Curious.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Keith,

This should answer your question:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/services.html

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 07-01-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Mike, thanks for the link (duh, I didn't see it and I've looked at the site a million times). I guess I should be clearer. I was really curious about the details of the seminars (how long, how difficult, how comprehensive?). I know some people out there have done the seminars and I was wondering if they liked them, if they were helpful personally and in terms of business as trainers and coaches. How fit should one be going into one of these? Should I wait until I can do a muscle-up for example? Is it geared towards personal trainers/coaches or for anybody with the $$$ and desire?

If I asked about pullups, proteins or oly lifts I would get a dozen posts a page long with links galore... Why is everyone so quiet?
Old 07-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
Keith,

I found this one post about Michael Halbfish's experience at one of the seminars--not sure if it includes enough detail for you, though.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/3014.html

Michael H, TJ, Tyler--I know you guys have attended the CF certification seminar. Can you guys shed any light for Keith? Or anyone else who's attended?

As far as what type of shape you need to be in prior to attending one of the seminars--I don't think that's a huge factor. It's more about learning, from what I can gather (not that you're not put through the ropes!).

I plan on going to one eventually (I'm just over the hill from CFHQ), once I get some spare cash together.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-01-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Thanks, Mike! I googled the xfit site for 'seminar' and for some reason that post escaped me (I think my surfing skills are slipping). I did see some other posts (raves) by Mike Halbfish about that seminar. He's not too far away from me over in NJ, so I'll try to pick his brain some more. Much thanks to you!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:49 AM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Keith-

Fitness level is not super important. Like the WOD itself everything is scaled for where you are.

The descriptions of the certification levels is right on. The first level is a survey and covers both theory and basic movements. It is a lot of material.

If you have a chance to do a cert I think you will love it. Try to get to HQ for a visit if nothing else. Come see us in Chico too!
Robb
Old 07-03-2004, 08:15 PM   #7
TJ Cooper

Profile:
The seminar is much like the WOD. its geared to show what you know, teach you more , and show you how much more you need to understand. The challenges of the seminar are experienced via hands on effort, your level of ability will always be less than at least one of the WODS ( hahah)You get lectures on the aspects of crossfit, and more importantly, you get to see what makes Crossfit work for you and the community. It is in my view underpriced. I am by no means a mindless groupie or cultist, yet my belief in this program borders excitment few things in my life has. With respect to your other questions, I have found it like all things in life; what you put in you get out. Of the 5 seminars I have attended, I have yet to hear a sales pith regarding Crossfit the Program. I have heard Crossfit The Community. You need to get to one. Sorry for not seeing this sooner, and I hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:11 PM   #8
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I was at the most recent CrossFit seminar and it was very, very good. It consisted of workouts performed by the attendees, hands-on instruction in specific areas such as olympic lifting, KB's, rings and basic movements, and of course lectures by Greg on the foundations of CrossFit, nutrition, structuring workouts, accomodating individual needs, etc.
I think anyone who attends will come away with a more complete understanding of what CrossFit is really all about. Many people came to a startling realization about the intensity of CrossFit after watching the DVD. I think a lot of people approached it with a "do a set, then rest" philosophy. The seminar definitely gives you a more thorough understanding of the concept and application of the CrossFit method.

Tyler
Old 07-05-2004, 05:04 AM   #9
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Keith,
I just noticed your post. The seminar that I attended was 3 days. I wish it never ended. Concepts are broken down so simple that it is like being spoon fed information. Fitness level should not be an issue. People at the seminar were at all different fitness levels. I found the seminar to be comprehensive. Some of the topics covered (from memory - I don't have my notes here) how to cost effectively set up a gym crossfit style (home or commercial), exercise technique, exercise program design, metabolic pathways (ie cardio aerobic), neuroendocrine response (ie triggering Growth Hormone release), diet (convinced me to go Zone), development of Crossfit, how different elements fit together and contribute to all around fitness, the evolution of Crossfit, Olympic lifts, gymnastics, training the core, key crossfit exercises, warmups & cooldowns, elements of fitness & wellness, defining Crossfit, and fundamental movement patterns.
I don't work in the fitness industry so I can't comment as to how helpful it is for business other than to say Coach gave advice for people in the industry. I found it personally helpful. It changed my approach to Crossfit and I've made much faster progress since I've attended the seminar.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:17 AM   #10
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Wow! Thanks guys! Very helpful indeed. The crossfit community is great. In yoga terms you guys would be known as a Kula (Sanskrit for family or a community of the heart). The support you bring to each other and the openess with which you share is inspirational. I love crossfit.

PS - I was running tabata sprints in the parking lot of the resort on July 4 at 9am with a bunch of valets and security guards watching me and scratching their heads. Gotta love it!