CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-09-2003, 12:18 PM   #1
Matt Midcap

Profile:

I have been doing the WOD AND the Armstrong pull-up program (as recommended by CrossFit) to improve my pull-ups for the last month. My question is, do I run the risk of over training by doing both at the same time.

Some days I have to back off the Armstrong routine because of the nature of the WOD which is fine. I guess I just want to do what would be best overall for my workouts.
Thanks - Matt
Old 05-10-2003, 09:58 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Matt-

it sounds like a bit lame but you really need to listen to your body and go from there. I will mention that the laws of diminishing returns are not to be forgotten here. Really hammer things for a while and then back way off. I put a fair amount of stock in the supercompensation theory and learning to tweak it to our advantage can be a powerfull tool. The body does not respond in a linear fashion but rather cycles of increase and decrease. Following the WOD I have taken my max PU from about 17 to 30 over the past year...I really can not explain it other than it works!
Robb
Old 05-11-2003, 03:27 PM   #3
Matt Midcap

Profile:

Robb,

Thanks for the advice, it makes a lot of sense.

BTW, I have to ask about the graphic under your name. What is it and what do the words mean? Sorry if you've been asked this before - just curious.
Matt
Old 05-12-2003, 08:22 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Matt-

That is the symbol for my capoeira school. Quilombo is the name for a community/city of free/escaped slaves. Queimado-fire...So essentially city of fire. Mestre Curisco is the name of my instructor in seattle. If you go to www.qdod.com you can see some animations of capoeira and they even have a capoeira radio 24/7.

Thanks for asking!
Robb
Old 05-13-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
Matt Midcap

Profile:

I went to the site - very cool. I also did a search and found many web sites for Quilombo Do Queimado and I must say it is looks very interesting.

Do you know if there are any demonstrations planned in the Denver/surrounding areas? I would love to see this in person someday. I'll keep a look out for it.
Matt
Old 05-14-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Matt-

Kreikie!! You just missed Curisco in denver at the Batizado for the group there (Cantos Do Gallo). That group is very active and quite good. Curisco will be back next year...do check him out. Let me know if you track down Prof. Gallos group.
robb