CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-20-2003, 10:14 AM   #1
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

at my gym they have signs everyware that say if you feel faint or fatigued stop doing what you are doing and rest. being a wrestler i know that fatigue is mostly mentel and even when you think you have givin it all you can, you can still usally give alittle more. my question is when do you know to push harder with lifting? today i did the

shoulder press 65 ibs
tabata squats
shoulder press 65 ibs

and afterward i was dead, but after about 20 min, i felt fine again. should you include more work on days like that or is it better to let your body rest? thanks, and sorry for the long post

shane
Old 05-20-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
Scott Parker

Profile:
to answer your question about knowing when to push harder with lifting...i would say if you still feel like you could keep going after the WOD you should have lifted harder!

seriously though, if it's a particular WOD that i didn't go all out on, or get my arse completely beat i'll use the extra energy to practice a certain movement or exercise.

for example, sometimes after a WOD i'll sometimes do a couple of sets of OH squats. by just doing this i have inproved my OH squats quite a bit. (when i started doing them i was using a 25lb. bodybar and had trouble, now i'm doing sets of 10 with 75-80lbs.)
Old 05-20-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Shane,
Pushing it hard is a good thing, but you have to be smart about it. About three years ago, I started feeling faint while I was working out, but I kept on going. Half an hour later I was in the hospital. I hyperventilated so bad that my entire body went numb. I couldn't feel a pulse and I thought my heart had stopped, but it turned out that it was only because my hands were completely numb. In reality, my heart was racing. This was about 45 minutes post-exercise. It was a pretty frightening experience.
Thankfully, I train much smarter now and get better results without pushing it like that. In fact, I could probably do that workout now and not have any problems at all.
Sucking the paint off the walls is fine, but when you start feeling faint, turn it down a notch. Or better yet, walk away and pick up where you left off some other day.
Tyler