CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Atlas Stone Making

I have made a bunch stones using the Hybrid Athletic molds so far. For the most part they turn out fine. The flaw in the molds is where the two halves join up. The more I agitate the concrete in the mold, the more mud leaks out at the junction of the two halves resulting in stones with exposed aggregate rather than a smooth seam.

I have considered putting the molds together and sealing the two halves with caulk or silicone but I do not want to bugger up the molds with dried silicone/caulk. I thought about duct tape around the inside but if the tape peels off and clumps up during the concrete phase, that obviously, is no good.

Has anyone run into this and have you found a solution? Am I just destined to have rough looking seams? The angle grinder smooths them out fine.

Thanks,

MF
Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Mike Egan

Profile:
Re: Atlas Stone Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
I have made a bunch stones using the Hybrid Athletic molds so far. For the most part they turn out fine. The flaw in the molds is where the two halves join up. The more I agitate the concrete in the mold, the more mud leaks out at the junction of the two halves resulting in stones with exposed aggregate rather than a smooth seam.

I have considered putting the molds together and sealing the two halves with caulk or silicone but I do not want to bugger up the molds with dried silicone/caulk. I thought about duct tape around the inside but if the tape peels off and clumps up during the concrete phase, that obviously, is no good.

Has anyone run into this and have you found a solution? Am I just destined to have rough looking seams? The angle grinder smooths them out fine.

Thanks,

MF
I've been wondering this exact same thing lately. I was planning on using some silicon caulk when I pour another this week. You're right, the angle grinder does work well. The other issue I have (which I believe is also related to water leaking out through the crack) is that the top half of the stone is a bit rougher than the bottom. The bottom is super smooth, the top gets rough and it seems like it's because the water loss through the crack. Hopefully someone chimes in. I'm considering giving the slater stones a shot for my next mold, though I like how involved Rob is with the teaching and videos in the crossfit journal.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Describes my experience perfectly. Ya, the water/concrete leaking makes it impossible to vibrate the concrete enough. The half with the logo turns out pretty sexy if you vibrate it enough to get the air out-the other half, not so much.

If I were to purchase molds, I would probably go with Slater molds. I appreciate the ease of the Hybrid Molds but I think a re-design is in order.

MF
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
Tim Davis

Profile:

Bump.

Same experience here. Ive made 4 stones using the Hybrid molds (75lb and 145lb, two each) and 2 using Slaters molds (250lb and 210lb with insert). I like the smoothness of the seams on the Slaters, but I like the "zip tie" method with Hybrids. I had thought about using the duct tape on the seam like you suggested but with Gorilla Tape. Maybe 2 layers from the bottom shell, overlapping half width (so the effective tape width would be 1.5 times its normal width). With those molds, I usually fill the bottom as much as I can first and then put the top on. So that may ease the likelihood of bunching up the tape. I like the caulk or silicone idea too.
Has anyone tried sealing them? If so, when in the process did you do it? What about using a filler or concrete patch for the seams?
I also used my kids refrigerator magnets placed in the bottom of the mold for the weight of the stones. Works well if you remember to inverse everything. When I get a chance I'll post pics.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Tim Davis

Profile:

Pics.

One is a close shot of the fridge magnets I used for the weight of the stone. The other pic (for the uninitiated) is so you can see what the seams look like from a Slater mold (on the right) vs a Hybrid mold.

P.S. Yes, its supposed to be 145, not 541.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130709_012159_7_bestshot.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	12566  Click image for larger version

Name:	20130709_011811.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	12567