CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Benjamin Hill

Profile:
Was this DOMS, or something much worse?

Greetings fellow CrossFitters! I'd like to share an experience I had about a month ago, in hopes of maybe getting some more information about it.

The workout I remember doing that caused this, was something along the lines of:

10 rounds of:
15 185lb Deadlifts
15 Pushups

I scaled the workout to 135lb deadlifts, and 10 reps vs 15 for both exercises.

Some contributing factors:

- This was the first workout I've done after 3 weeks of laziness.
- Stretching was done prior to workout, but no warmup.
- While this was the first workout in 3 weeks, it was the first time deadlifting in over a month.

The workout:

This was my, "hit it hard, get back in the groove," sort of workout. I planned to go at a consistent pace, concentrating on proper form, but not getting slow with it, if that makes sense. Looking back I think I went into it with the right mindset.

The workout was pretty hard, but I was able to knock out all the sets at a consistent pace without much more than a brief pause in the last couple sets. No coach was critiquing my deadlift form, but I concentrated on letting my glutes engage, and it, "felt," proper. No odd bending at the back or anything of that sort.

Post-workout:

Decided to jog the 1/2 mile back to my squadron. During the jog, I experienced no back pain, but it did feel as if my back was very sore, such as it was sore enough just keeping my core upright for the run was an exercise in of itself.

The DOMS:

Rest of the work day I felt pretty wiped, but no pain. Later that evening I noticed it was getting harder to bend over, eventually getting to the point it was near impossible. If I bent forward, I had to use my arms to support my weight, else I wouldn't be able to hold that position.

Anyway, that night started off with a sore back when I went to bed. I awoke about 30min later, with my lower back stiff as a brick. On a personal pain scale, it had to be about a 7/10 (fairly debilitating). Pain seemed to originate from very stiff erector muscles, and it felt as if it was squeezing my spine. Note, there was no pain along my actual spinal column, just at the sides.

I drank some water, a protein shake, and did some light stretching. I used a roll of trash bags as a mock foam roller, and eventually got everything loose enough to go back to bed. 30min later I awoke again, and this cycle repeated the rest of the night. Total sleep = ~2hrs.

Next day was just as painful as the night, but because I was moving around, it never got as tight.

The following night my erectors were still stiff, but not as bad as the first night. This time it was my glutes which were tight. So tight I actually believe the muscles were squeezing my ITB, as every few seconds, a wave of pain shot down the side of my right leg, right along where the ITB is.

Sleep was near impossible. No matter how much stretching I did, or what position I lay in, that ITB pain was like clockwork, with a wave of pain ~ every 2 seconds. On a personal pain scale, this night was a 9/10 (completely debilitating). I had taken some ibuprofen in hopes of easing the inflammation, and it had a noticeable, but minimal impact.

It got bad enough I strongly considering taking myself to the hospital. Looking back I'm not sure why I didn't. Total sleep = < 1hr.

Next day I could barely drive to work. The ITB pain made it hard to use my right leg for acceleration and braking. I walked into my squadron limping, and in tears (I can't even remember the last time I was actually crying from pain).

When explaining to one of the officers my situation, he gave me clearance to leave for the rest of the day, but I elected to stay because there was some very important paperwork that had to be done.

About halfway through the day the ITB pain ceased, and the overall pain completely subsided 2 days later.

Sorry about the long story. I've had DOMS 2 times before this one, making this my 3rd. I've been crossfitting for over 3 years now, and in relation to my other 2 cases of DOMS (Once in the arms from pullups, the other in my calves when switching to a minimalist running shoe), this went exactly like the others. No more than 4 days, with the pain beginning 12-18hrs post-workout.

With that said, do you think there's anything to worry about this particular situation? I'm not even 100% sure this was DOMS, but after doing some follow on deadlift workouts, I never experienced any similar soreness, and actually felt pretty strong at them.

I'm going to chalk it up to being really stupid, and not realizing the workout I was doing involved 100 135lb deadlifts in a very short time, but has anybody experienced anything similar, or know if this may have been something more serious I need to pay more careful attention to?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:
Re: Was this DOMS, or something much worse?

In all honesty, I think you know the answere.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah...100 Deadlifts... ever think that might be too much volume?

Generally speaking, don't do workouts that beat you down because it's just pointless and can get you injured.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill View Post
Greetings fellow CrossFitters! I'd like to share an experience I had about a month ago, in hopes of maybe getting some more information about it.

The workout I remember doing that caused this, was something along the lines of:

10 rounds of:
15 185lb Deadlifts
15 Pushups

I scaled the workout to 135lb deadlifts, and 10 reps vs 15 for both exercises.

Some contributing factors:

- This was the first workout I've done after 3 weeks of laziness.
- Stretching was done prior to workout, but no warmup.
- While this was the first workout in 3 weeks, it was the first time deadlifting in over a month.

The workout:

This was my, "hit it hard, get back in the groove," sort of workout. I planned to go at a consistent pace, concentrating on proper form, but not getting slow with it, if that makes sense. Looking back I think I went into it with the right mindset.

The workout was pretty hard, but I was able to knock out all the sets at a consistent pace without much more than a brief pause in the last couple sets. No coach was critiquing my deadlift form, but I concentrated on letting my glutes engage, and it, "felt," proper. No odd bending at the back or anything of that sort.

Post-workout:

Decided to jog the 1/2 mile back to my squadron. During the jog, I experienced no back pain, but it did feel as if my back was very sore, such as it was sore enough just keeping my core upright for the run was an exercise in of itself.

The DOMS:

Rest of the work day I felt pretty wiped, but no pain. Later that evening I noticed it was getting harder to bend over, eventually getting to the point it was near impossible. If I bent forward, I had to use my arms to support my weight, else I wouldn't be able to hold that position.

Anyway, that night started off with a sore back when I went to bed. I awoke about 30min later, with my lower back stiff as a brick. On a personal pain scale, it had to be about a 7/10 (fairly debilitating). Pain seemed to originate from very stiff erector muscles, and it felt as if it was squeezing my spine. Note, there was no pain along my actual spinal column, just at the sides.

I drank some water, a protein shake, and did some light stretching. I used a roll of trash bags as a mock foam roller, and eventually got everything loose enough to go back to bed. 30min later I awoke again, and this cycle repeated the rest of the night. Total sleep = ~2hrs.

Next day was just as painful as the night, but because I was moving around, it never got as tight.

The following night my erectors were still stiff, but not as bad as the first night. This time it was my glutes which were tight. So tight I actually believe the muscles were squeezing my ITB, as every few seconds, a wave of pain shot down the side of my right leg, right along where the ITB is.

Sleep was near impossible. No matter how much stretching I did, or what position I lay in, that ITB pain was like clockwork, with a wave of pain ~ every 2 seconds. On a personal pain scale, this night was a 9/10 (completely debilitating). I had taken some ibuprofen in hopes of easing the inflammation, and it had a noticeable, but minimal impact.

It got bad enough I strongly considering taking myself to the hospital. Looking back I'm not sure why I didn't. Total sleep = < 1hr.

Next day I could barely drive to work. The ITB pain made it hard to use my right leg for acceleration and braking. I walked into my squadron limping, and in tears (I can't even remember the last time I was actually crying from pain).

When explaining to one of the officers my situation, he gave me clearance to leave for the rest of the day, but I elected to stay because there was some very important paperwork that had to be done.

About halfway through the day the ITB pain ceased, and the overall pain completely subsided 2 days later.

Sorry about the long story. I've had DOMS 2 times before this one, making this my 3rd. I've been crossfitting for over 3 years now, and in relation to my other 2 cases of DOMS (Once in the arms from pullups, the other in my calves when switching to a minimalist running shoe), this went exactly like the others. No more than 4 days, with the pain beginning 12-18hrs post-workout.

With that said, do you think there's anything to worry about this particular situation? I'm not even 100% sure this was DOMS, but after doing some follow on deadlift workouts, I never experienced any similar soreness, and actually felt pretty strong at them.

I'm going to chalk it up to being really stupid, and not realizing the workout I was doing involved 100 135lb deadlifts in a very short time, but has anybody experienced anything similar, or know if this may have been something more serious I need to pay more careful attention to?
sounds like increased pressure in your disc irritating the nerve root giving you spasms with leg pain. don't do that for a while