CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
Patrick O'Neil

Profile:
I just finished "Top 100 Zone Foods" and after 3 Zone books a big question I've had has come up. In this book, Sears discusses subtracting fiber in a food from the carbs to come up with the "true" number of carbs for a food. This is commonly used in other diets as far as I know. Does this mean we can use this on the Zone to reduce the damage from things like pasta? If I remember right, whole wheat pasta has a ton of fiber in it, and it might make a big difference.

On a related note, how do you all feed about "carb friendly" foods? I have a yogurt and some carb sense tortillas that I really like. For the yogurt, since it has 0 carbs, can I count it just as a protien? Can I use the types of products and still be successful on the Zone?

I know the best thing would be to just replace all of this stuff with veggies and fruit, but I'm trying to find a way to have a little bit of the stuff I like (pasta, tortillas) ONCE IN A WHILE, without knocking myself completely out of the zone.

I'd be really interested to hear anyone's experience on any of these things.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
You might be surprised at how little fiber whole wheat pasta actually has, but yes, you subtract the fiber from the total carbohydrates when you figure out the blocks.

As for the yogurt, is it specifically low-carb? If not, then it probably has a good number of carbohydrates in it which puts it 1/1 with the protein, more often than not, if not a bit higher in carbohydrates.

The trick of the Zone is that you can make it "work" (meaning stay within a hormonal balance) with nearly any food, you just have to get the proportions right. As you noted, it would still be optimum to rely on fruits and vegetables, but a small amount of grains or dairy probably won't be a huge problem, unless you're allergic. All things in moderation ;)
Old 05-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
Patrick O'Neil

Profile:
Yes, the yogurt is specifically low carb, I think it is either 0 or close to it; some kind of artificial sweetner, I'm sure. MMMM, more chemicals.

Well, I'm hoping with a few tweaks, I'll be able to do this. My wife and I have been doing it for about a week now; she's lost 6 lbs. I haven't lost much weight, but I'm not trying to, either. I'm doing it for the performance aspect. I do feel better overall, though, and seem to have more energy, so I think I'll keep eating those plants!