CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:
Good flat sole shoe for heel strikers

I know I should probably search more, but even mentioning a shoe brings up a trillion results.

I need something I can run in and squat in in the same workout. I wear Nanos and Frees depending on the workout, and I wear Oly's for barbell only. I've been working with a trainer and recently he's programmed Zerchers in a met-con that involves me also hitting the treadmill. Today wasn't too bad because the runs were only 200m at a time. I could probably even stand 400's but I'll start getting knee and foot pain if I run much more than that in Nanos. Last week I did the workout in Frees, but the squats were unstable.

The new Nike met-con looks decent and I saw a Puma Bioweb that might be ok. I know the Nikes aren't out yet, but has anyone tried the Bioweb for the mixed workouts? Any other shoe I should be looking at?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Philipp Lendner

Profile:
Re: Good flat sole shoe for heel strikers

Personal opinion here: this shoe does not exist. Heel striking is only possible if your shoe has a sole that safes your knee. However, that means the sole has to be pretty big. This shoe therefore will probably be unstable when doing squats.

Did you consider changing your running technique? I prefer fixing an issue in movement patterns over using equipment to get around that problem.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp Lendner View Post
Personal opinion here: this shoe does not exist. Heel striking is only possible if your shoe has a sole that safes your knee. However, that means the sole has to be pretty big. This shoe therefore will probably be unstable when doing squats.

Did you consider changing your running technique? I prefer fixing an issue in movement patterns over using equipment to get around that problem.
I've tried forefoot strike a couple times but all I got out of it was shin splints and sprained arches. I generally don't have trouble with my knees from heel strike with a softer shoe so I haven't worried too much about it. I just hate when that shoe hinders the rest of my workout. I wear my Frees until they're paper thin just for this reason..lol
Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Robert Diggs

Profile:

Have you tried the Reebok Sprints?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
Anthony Seamans

Profile:

Work your running form. Just like everything else that you go into the gym and do, running is a skill that needs worked on and practiced. Trying to forefoot strike while running only a few times and not really liking it and thinking its a shoe issue is the same as going in and doing back squats and not hitting a PR squat and thinking its your shirts fault. Work running form.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

I used to use NB MX20's Minimus, but the last year and a half I've become an Inov-8 convert. I love the F-Lite 252's, though they don't make those anymore. I think the F-Lite 240 is close to the 252. They handle lifts very well and have a minimal heel-toe drop.

That being said, you definitely need to work on running technique for any shoe to work.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Ian Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook View Post
I've tried forefoot strike a couple times but all I got out of it was shin splints and sprained arches.
Transitioned too quickly, with not enough foot/leg strength foundation.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Guys I don't mean to sound like one of those people who asks for advice then doesn't take it, but I'm not interested in changing to forefoot strike. I followed a plan for it two different times, and had pain almost immediately. I expected some calf and foot soreness but my arches hurt for a month at one point, and literally I ran 200m in the first session, and 400m in the second. That's all it took and it's not worth the risk trying it again, even if I was doing it totally wrong before.

I'm perfectly happy and pain free running heel/mid foot strike in a soft heel shoe and I'm not blaming any of my shoes for the discomfort that comes with any other style. I was just looking to see if there had been a shoe released in the past few years since I quit paying attention to anything and everything Crossfit that might fit my needs a bit better.

I appreciate the shoe suggestions (and the others) and I'll have a look.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #9
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook View Post
I know I should probably search more, but even mentioning a shoe brings up a trillion results.

I need something I can run in and squat in in the same workout. I wear Nanos and Frees depending on the workout, and I wear Oly's for barbell only. I've been working with a trainer and recently he's programmed Zerchers in a met-con that involves me also hitting the treadmill. Today wasn't too bad because the runs were only 200m at a time. I could probably even stand 400's but I'll start getting knee and foot pain if I run much more than that in Nanos. Last week I did the workout in Frees, but the squats were unstable.

The new Nike met-con looks decent and I saw a Puma Bioweb that might be ok. I know the Nikes aren't out yet, but has anyone tried the Bioweb for the mixed workouts? Any other shoe I should be looking at?
For what it's worth, I have a pair of these http://www.6pm.com/merrell-mix-master-move-black-ice (WSF) and have had no issues. They're solid for running, I've box jumped in them and WODs with Oly lifts. I actually bouth the black,and a pair of yellow/gray.

The shoe is "minimalist" with decent cushioning but stable....IMO.

Michael
Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

thanks. we actually have a place nearby that sells Merrell so I could go check them out.