CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Nic Nakis

Profile:
CrossFit affiliate inside a large health club

Has anyone on here ever run a CrossFit affiliate inside a larger health club? I'm doing this now and looking for some specific advice.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: CrossFit affiliate inside a large health club

Perhaps contact this guy.
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...ghlight=kraken WFS

They're running out of the Olympic Athletic Club in Ballard. You guys may be able to compare notes.

I wandered through the OAC last month. The place is like a rabbit warren with tons of things to do. No classes were running at the time so the 'box' was locked. Not sure where they run though - perhaps just shuttles.

It's quite a compelling option for me - being that I can't always make specific class times - so the option to have a gym (with Oly options) on the weekends and outside of class time (or limited open gym) is invaluable. It's like the best of both worlds. (I actually have a garage gym in storage .... good space is hard to come by in this part of the world).
Old 12-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I think Joey Dussel on the forum has an affiliate inside a bigger gym. Send him a message.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
Paul Glezer

Profile:

I dropped into lake george crossfit in NY a while back and that was there setup. Really good guy ran it. Worth reaching out.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Last summer I dropped in to Brennan Jackson's affiliate CrossFit TFP in Soldotna, Alaska. It is inside a small commercial gym as well. The affiliate was closed/locked from normal gym members during off WOD hours.
It seemed to be a good fit.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Thanks dudes. I've sent all those guys messages. The big question is how do I attract members to a program that costs extra when there are so many things that they can do which are already covered by their membership?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Alex Romero

Profile:

As Paul mentioned, Lake George Crossfit used to run out of the corner of a globo gym, they've since moved to a separate, much larger facility. The owner's name is Dirk. Good guy.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Nakis View Post
Thanks dudes. I've sent all those guys messages. The big question is how do I attract members to a program that costs extra when there are so many things that they can do which are already covered by their membership?
Personally, I think OAC missed the boat when they toured me through their facility. The young lady showed me the pool, the basketball court, the machine room, the treadmill room, the yoga room, the spin room (which was also locked), the extra room for this, the other room for that, the racquet ball courts, the other pool, the sauna, the other treadmill room, a weight lifting room, and we spent no less than 5s outside the locked crossfit room. I peered into a dark window in the door - my wife did the same. (as well as the spin class which is an add-on extra).
For me, it was one of 2-3 places I was actually interested in and we didn't get to see it. She had no value statement to make on the program, nor was she able to open the door. The fact that I knew what CF was is one thing, but new members may not have a clue and only have eyes for that treadmill with 20 TV channels, two cup holders, a magazine stand with reading light and a towel holder. Somehow, the tour needs to connect with that audience as much as someone like me. Maybe more so.

So, what I'm getting at, is that you may need to get with those people who tour the facility with new members. Continuously work with them. Give them a key and allow them to get into your locked room-o-fitness. Then, teach them how to give a 5 minute tour (when you aren't present) of your facility to show value. Give them exactly 3 sentences that portrays who you are, what you do, and what value there is (don't use that typical crossfit stuff that makes no sense - constantly varied high intensity blah blah blah - think 30 seconds in an elevator to real people; make it more personal and valuable).
Then, make sure you have a slick pamphlet to put into new member packets. Maybe, all new members get a 5 class punch card - or free onramp - that can be used in their first month of joining said health club.
Get some CF member spotlights into the health clubs newsletter or on a public message board in the hallways.
Invite existing club members to your classes to try it out - perhaps give them the same punch card. Maybe run some promotions for you existing CF members - where if they bring in 3 friends, then they get a t-shirt. If they sign up, then they get a discount applied to their own memberships.

So, outside of "normal attracting members through normal channels", I'd definitely have those 3 sentences for the front desk staff (and yourself), and empower them to tour your facility.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I have a lot of thoughts/hunches on this. I have never attempted to build membership inside a bigger health club so take it with a grain of salt.

1) I expect price is not the issue. If people enjoy CrossFit and get better results that is what will get them to sign up.

2) Your best bet for converting members of the gym to CrossFit will be the folks who show up regularly, put in the time but are not getting great results. I'm currently working out at a Gold's close to my house while my girl friend recovers from ACL replacement. I see a lot of women and some guys who are there on a regular basis following ineffective training programs (if you could even call it that). These folks are motivated, show up and want results. They are great candidates for CrossFit. I should know I use to be one of them.

3) Most big gyms follow a 2 step sales program. First sell membership, second attempt to sell personal training. Getting the Crossfit option inserted into this sales process would help a lot. This would give members 3 option with increasing prices. 1) Do it yourself, 2) Group CrossFit Class, 3) 1 on 1 personal training. When people are first joining a new gym is when they are most open to trying a new program.

4) Do all the regular marketing any affiliate does. You may operate inside another gym but you don't want to behave any differently then any other affiliate. The community is part of the magic so you need to create yours independent of the big gym. Website, Facebook, social events, interacting with other CF gyms, the whole deal.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #10
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Look up crossfit 11968. It's in a globo. Mike is the coach, super nice guy and good coach, he can share some insight.