CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Dave Taylor

Profile:
Romaloes 2 vs Lifter Plus

I am looking at getting a new set of Oly shoes. I have been rocking pendaly Do-Wins for a couple years and was looking at these 2 options.

My wife as the normal lifters and loves them and she can do alot more than I can but what do you guys think about these 2 options and what is the pros and cons.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Jason Fischer

Profile:
Re: Romaloes 2 vs Lifter Plus

I went from Do-Wins to Romeleos 2's and the difference was night and day in stability. They are too heavy and stiff to use in workouts with box jumps, double unders or any kind of running, but for squatting and for olympic lifting I suspect they are pretty tough to beat (I haven't tried any other lifting shoe from Reebok, Adidas, Inov8, etc). I love mine.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Reeboks (and Inov8s for that matter) are hybrid shoes. They aim to give you the raised heel and a little extra stability but also let you do other CF movements besides lifting.

Romaleos (and Do-Wins, Pendlays, Adidas, etc) are pure lifting shoes. They are meant to be stiff and stable to the point that doing things that involve lots of flex to the sole (box jumps, running, jump rope, etc) are actually bad for the shoes.

If you want to weightlift seriously (that is, not just in WODs or once a week), get yourself a nice pair of the latter. If your squatting movements are just done in MetCons with other types of movement or you really don't want a specialty shoe, you might look at the former.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Jason Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Reeboks (and Inov8s for that matter) are hybrid shoes. They aim to give you the raised heel and a little extra stability but also let you do other CF movements besides lifting.

Romaleos (and Do-Wins, Pendlays, Adidas, etc) are pure lifting shoes. They are meant to be stiff and stable to the point that doing things that involve lots of flex to the sole (box jumps, running, jump rope, etc) are actually bad for the shoes.

If you want to weightlift seriously (that is, not just in WODs or once a week), get yourself a nice pair of the latter. If your squatting movements are just done in MetCons with other types of movement or you really don't want a specialty shoe, you might look at the former.

This is exactly what Diane Fu told me when I was out in San Francisco and asked her about which shoes to get for lifting (in my case it was the Reebok Oly's vs the Adidas Adipower). She said that the Reebok's were more of a "crosstrainer with a bit of a heel" whereas the Adidas were a pure lifting shoe.

In my case, I've never had a situation where I couldn't swap shoes back to my Nano's if I needed to, so I went with the Adidas Adipowers. Absolutely love them.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Newland View Post
This is exactly what Diane Fu told me when I was out in San Francisco and asked her about which shoes to get for lifting (in my case it was the Reebok Oly's vs the Adidas Adipower). She said that the Reebok's were more of a "crosstrainer with a bit of a heel" whereas the Adidas were a pure lifting shoe.

In my case, I've never had a situation where I couldn't swap shoes back to my Nano's if I needed to, so I went with the Adidas Adipowers. Absolutely love them.
Exactly. I wouldn't trade my Pendlays for anything. Of course, I'm also transitioning into pretty much pure weightlifting for the time being, so I may be a little biased there
Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

I'll throw a 2nd endorsement behind the Adipowers. I've had mine for a year and half and they've seen pretty siginficant use (3-5 times a week for most of that time). I only wear them in the gym however they've held up great and I've had no issues whatsoever with them.

Only downsides could be if you don't like the red color or if you've got wide feet. The toebox is tight however it did loosen up after a few weeks. But with an Oly shoe you don't want your foot sliding around in there anyway.

I got mine on sale for $149, so if cost is a concern I would wait until these go on sale or look at Pendlay's new WL'ing shoe. I think they start at around $140 and look like a great shoe from what I can see.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

If you sign up for e-mails on adidas' site, they'll give you a one-time use 20% off coupon. I just bought lifting shoes doing that.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Vincent Yacuzzi Jr

Profile:

Code is good for 20% off Adidas, ordered my Adipowers today after trying a friends.

EM20662F-298

Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Michael Cook

Profile:

I switched from VS Athletics to Nike Romaleo 2's about a year ago. The Romaleo 2's are great. Very stable platform to lift off of. The forefoot does have a little give in it, which makes it better for the jerk. I wear my Romaleos for any wod that has some oly or squat component, but doesn't have box jumps or running in it.

I tried box jumps once with my oly shoes, and it just hurt my feet.

I can do double unders, burpees, lateral bar hops, kettlebell movements just fine. I probably would not rope climb in my oly shoes because I wouldn't want to risk ripping up the shoes with the rope.