CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Omar Mendoza

Profile:
Girlfriend Just bought me a W-4

Hello, I just ordered a W-4 from rogue fitness and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the customization options. I ordered 4' depth version as opposed to the 6' depth and was curious if anyone can explain to me how having 6' in depth as opposed to 4' can be utilized?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Peter Keller

Profile:
Re: Girlfriend Just bought me a W-4

For a wall-mount rig, 6' crossbeams provide more pullup positions vs. 4' crossbeams. You can usually fit 2 athletes on a 6' bar, vs. 1 on a 4' bar.

So, a W-4 rig with 4' crossbeams all around has 3 pullup positions. A W-4 with two 6' and one 4' position has 5 pullup positions.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Agh, I wish I knew this before... I ordered it at 5 pm thinking that nothing would ship out until operating hours, since I couldn't get a hold of anyone either by phone or email. Regardless, my order was apparently "shipped out" by 7 PM. So, I'm assuming that the warehouse and delivery's are completely separate from sales and or customer service.

Their website states that with a W-4 there is only 1 pull up station, but technically there are 5 (Very confusing) I'm sure this may seem like common sense to some, but if I'm only basing my knowledge on picture diagrams I am compelled to trust the information written which states there is only one pull up area...

When I talked with a customer service rep this morning he said there is nothing that can be done at this point and I'm pretty much stuck with it unless I want to pay for shipping both ways. He also contradicted himself by saying that "technically there would be 5 pull up stations," but later said "we do not recommend using those areas as pull up stations due to space restrictions." Also confusing because there would be no issue with space because it is completely open if you use the side pull up station... So, once again my dilemma is whether or not the sides may be used for pull ups... Without being able to actually demo the rig coupled with contradicting information made this order very confusing and now I'm stuck with the wrong set-up(ARGH).

This is unfortunate because I was going to add on a 6' section in the near future, but now I feel like I wasted money on a 4' depth rack because any future add on will have to be 4' in depth as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Can you just ship back the 4' cross beams and have them send you the 6' ones instead of sending the whole rig back? Probably be cheaper on the shipping.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Can you just ship back the 4' cross beams and have them send you the 6' ones instead of sending the whole rig back? Probably be cheaper on the shipping.
Thanks, I just might have to do that if my current order cannot be modified. If this is the case, hopefully shipping won't cost me too much. And now I have to wait longer to get everything up an running...
Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Will Thorsen

Profile:

FWIW, I had a w-4 in my garage for a while with the 6' depth, and it's very tight to try and squeeze two people on a 6ft section, at least it was tough for me (6'2") and my wife (5'9") to both do pullups on the 6ft section. If i had had it to do over and wanted to get a wall mount, I would have gotten the 4ft depth. it gives more room in the garage for o-lifting, maybe an s-2 if you want to have multiple squat stations and an extra pullup bar. Personally, we ditched the w-4 and got two s-1's and two pullup stations mounted in the ceiling, and it opened up our space a ton. we've got room for two people to squat, o-lift, etc. simultaneously. you wouldn't think the extra square footage would make a difference, 4ft v. 6ft, but it was huge for us. hope that helps.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Brian Liang

Profile:

I am not really so sure why you would want so many stations (other than the 6' is a bit more room to hang rings). We have the wall mount rig at the box i am currently going to and no one really every uses the bar that connect the rig to the wall.

Personally, if I was to get a W-4 for my garage. I would get 4' depth as opposed to the 6' depth. Because I would rather have the extra 4' of space in front of my rack for lifting and whatever. Because honesty, how offen are you going to be in the front of the rack (for me, around 5-6 days a week) and how often are you going to have 5 people doing pull ups at the same time (maybe never, unless you are teaching?) or how often will you be doing ring rows or ring dips (for me, if im luckly i might get to it once a week). Plus with the extra 4' of room, if you are ever doing back squats and your garage door is closed, and you bail... you have a less likely chance of the weights breaking thought your garage door.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Thorsen View Post
FWIW, I had a w-4 in my garage for a while with the 6' depth, and it's very tight to try and squeeze two people on a 6ft section, at least it was tough for me (6'2") and my wife (5'9") to both do pullups on the 6ft section. If i had had it to do over and wanted to get a wall mount, I would have gotten the 4ft depth. it gives more room in the garage for o-lifting, maybe an s-2 if you want to have multiple squat stations and an extra pullup bar. Personally, we ditched the w-4 and got two s-1's and two pullup stations mounted in the ceiling, and it opened up our space a ton. we've got room for two people to squat, o-lift, etc. simultaneously. you wouldn't think the extra square footage would make a difference, 4ft v. 6ft, but it was huge for us. hope that helps.
Awesome, this is good to know. I was just concerned that a 6' depth version could accommodate 2 people doing kipping pull ups as opposed to the 4' depth version.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Liang View Post
I am not really so sure why you would want so many stations (other than the 6' is a bit more room to hang rings). We have the wall mount rig at the box i am currently going to and no one really every uses the bar that connect the rig to the wall.

Personally, if I was to get a W-4 for my garage. I would get 4' depth as opposed to the 6' depth. Because I would rather have the extra 4' of space in front of my rack for lifting and whatever. Because honesty, how offen are you going to be in the front of the rack (for me, around 5-6 days a week) and how often are you going to have 5 people doing pull ups at the same time (maybe never, unless you are teaching?) or how often will you be doing ring rows or ring dips (for me, if im luckly i might get to it once a week). Plus with the extra 4' of room, if you are ever doing back squats and your garage door is closed, and you bail... you have a less likely chance of the weights breaking thought your garage door.
I'm getting a house built relatively soon with a big garage built specifically for a garage box, so I would like as many pull up stations as possible.

Last edited by Omar Mendoza : 10-09-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Thorsen View Post
Do you think 2 smaller sized athletes could do kipping pull ups comfortably on the side, or would it still be a tight fit? Let's say a 5' 7" male and a 5' 3" female.