CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
Forgive me if I'm bringing up old topics, but I was at an organic grocery store and had some questions. You can't put a price on your health, but is the extra cost of organic foods worth it? Should most of the foods we eat be organic or only fruits/vegetables? I found it hard to locate unbiased information online about this, but I trust the opinions of the CrossFit Community.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I heard an argument recently that organics are definitely not worth the money. Since organic farmers don't use pesticides, they have to use plants that have their natural protective mechanisms intact, ie poisons. Plant toxins are what gives a bitter taste. That's why humans tend to avoid bitter tastes. By selectively breeding out the bitter taste over many years, we also bred out the toxins. As a result, we now need to use pesticides to replace the natural toxins we've taken out. From most of what I've read, the half-life on the modern pesticides is short enough that they pose no risk to us by the time they reach the shelves. Orgainc produce also tends to have higher bacteria levels because of the "natural fertilizer" they use.
I do like the idea of buying locally grown produce and I do it when I can. But these days I am buying mostly frozen vegetables, blueberries and strawberries. I buy fresh apples and bags of salad, too.
There are plenty of good counterarguments for why you should eat organic. Especially in regards to meat.

Tyler
Old 05-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

For what it's worth, maybe this will help...

http://www.storewars.org/flash/index.html

Old 05-22-2005, 07:22 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
If a plant is allowed to grow slowly and completely this can greatly enhance flavor and nutritional quality. As Tyler points out it may also greatly increase the endogenous toxin load. Check out this piece from Bruce Ames:

http://nwi.org/ResourceArticles/Ames.html

This is why eating things local and in season might be a good idea.

Organic farming CAN decrease nitrogen and pesticide load for an area depending on methods used but this is not always the case, particularly in the case of nitrogen. It requires the creation of essentially mini ecosystems that deal with these issues. This tends to be pricey and reduces yeild thus increasing the price. I think a lot of these practices are smart from a sustainability point of view but we are not going to feed the world just doing organic...not unless the world population is pruned back significantly.

Robb

Old 05-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Support the small local farmers.. if they need to use pesticides on occasion, big deal. Talk to them, you would be surprised. Some of them use short lived, relatively safe pesticides, and only in the smallest amounts when needed. Not all pesticides are the same. Many different mechanisms of action and characteristics.
Get a name, sent it to me, and I'll send you more information than you ever wanted on the specific pesticide.

Brad

Old 05-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
REALITY CHECK: I usually throw this in the 1% catagory. Fitness obsessed folks have a tendency to obsess on the smallest details (should I take 5g of creatine or 7g) but usually miss the really big picture stuff, like...

Are you:

1. Always eating lean protein, vegatables, fruits, and good fats for at least 5 meals per day?

2. Not eating junk or boxed food (you know what junk food is, don't even ask!)?

3. Doing the WOD 3 on 1 off (or a similar plan) consistantly? (Doing the CF warmup)

4. Supplimenting with fish oil?

5. Getting 8 hours of sleep a night?

6. Drinking mostly water for your beverage consumption?

7. Setting realistic goals?

8. Keeping a food and workout journal?

If your not doing all of the above, consistantly, don't even bother with suppliments, organic foods, free range meats, or ANYTHING ELSE! Get the workouts done, eat well, consistantly, your 99% there...then look for the magic to push you the extra .0001%!
Old 05-22-2005, 10:54 AM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Larry for president. :-)
Old 05-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
Brendan Melville

Profile:
I'm printing that list and putting it up on my wall!
Old 05-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
I'm tattooing it into my arm.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 AM   #10
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Just added that to the first page of my Work Out log. I hope it wasn't copyrighted.

-Jeremy