CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Robert Feudo

Profile:
I'm being tempted by the dark side!

I've been doing crossfit for four months now. I love it, I drive everyone around me nuts because I probably talk about it too much, etc. My problem is that I was looking at my work out logs from last year and I was WAY stronger than I am now. I'm certainly in better shape, BUT I REALLY miss the globo gym type workouts. I only go to the box two days per week, and have a pretty impressive set up at home, so my intention was to do the box thing twice per week and do my globo gym stuff twice per week at home. It's just not working out the way I planned. The box I'm at is great, they are even doing a 5,3,1 program for the winter. It's just that it's a REALLY watered down version of what 5,3,1 should be. We are not doing any of the accessory lifts, not doing bench press for some lame reason, and we spend very little time on this then jump into the wad. If the wads had watered down versions of the accessory lifts and we were doing bench I would probably feel much better about the routine, but they don't. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Eric Shuty

Profile:
Re: I'm being tempted by the dark side!

What's so dark about the dark side? I think a lot of people who come to crossfit are boxed in by conventional training....then when they start doing crossfit they are boxed in by the WOD and don't do much else for fear of doing something other than crossfit (oh the horror!!). The bottom line is you have to do what is in line with your goals and plans. If that means going to a globo gym, go to a globo gym....

Additionally, if your box is altering 5/3/1 in major ways then you really aren't doing 5/3/1. The way you describe it your box doesn't seem to understand strength training at all.....
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Robert Feudo

Profile:

Well said. I just don't get why traditional workout methods are so shunned. I do get that it's a branding marketing thing, but for me it's a bit frustrating. We have atlas stones, and some other cool stuff if you look around the box, but I think they are there for decoration.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Page Johnson

Profile:

Different boxes will have different approaches... ours does some pretty sophisticated strength training, so it can be done.

Maybe talk to your coaches about what you feel is missing?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

there is no dark side. it's exercise. do what you enjoy. as for people that shun certain types of things, why would you care about such a silly persons opinion. (unless they shun doing barbell squats on a beach ball or something like this. then you should probably listen to avoid being in the hospital) but it is hillarious that "hardcore crossfit" will shun bench press, curls, or steady cardio and then proceed to do kipping pullups, SDHP, and high rep box jumps.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Feudo View Post
I've been doing crossfit for four months now. I love it, I drive everyone around me nuts because I probably talk about it too much, etc. My problem is that I was looking at my work out logs from last year and I was WAY stronger than I am now. I'm certainly in better shape, BUT I REALLY miss the globo gym type workouts. I only go to the box two days per week, and have a pretty impressive set up at home, so my intention was to do the box thing twice per week and do my globo gym stuff twice per week at home. It's just not working out the way I planned. The box I'm at is great, they are even doing a 5,3,1 program for the winter. It's just that it's a REALLY watered down version of what 5,3,1 should be. We are not doing any of the accessory lifts, not doing bench press for some lame reason, and we spend very little time on this then jump into the wad. If the wads had watered down versions of the accessory lifts and we were doing bench I would probably feel much better about the routine, but they don't. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
See attached picture.

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 10-08-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Sometimes it is best to take a break from CF workouts to work on some muscular imbalences. This is what I have been doing this entire year, and so far it has worked out for me. Squat up, Press up, Deadlift up, more mobility. CF is good, but is not the end all.

It is always a good thing to switch gears every once inawhile. Especially if you program your own workouts life me. You start doing the same stuff over and over because you like it over the stuff you need to do
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
William Garrett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Feudo View Post

Thanks
Bob

No Harm, no foul.

I was in the same EXACT boat as you from about the fall of 2010 when I 1st found CF till early 2012. I was doing some watered down strength work and 100% CF. I didnt know much until I got into CF, I wasnt an athlete, and never had picked up a barbell unless it was bench press. CF was a huge change for me and set me on a path of success which paved what I'm doing now.

Since early 2012 I started Wendler and slowly worked into a full compliment of Wendler with Boring But Big Assistance Work @ 50%. I try and do two 6-10 min metcon's per week around those lifts depending on how I feel that day. Otherwise I condition with either a prowler, or row sprints.

I have found my conditioning is oddly just as good or better when I was full bore CF when tested. My Fran time is better, row is better, Filthy 50 is better. Im about 10lbs heavier, and ALOT stronger.

CF gave me an overall vision of what my fitness goals were, where I didnt have a goal before. Wendler gave me the tools to realize potential in the strength department which is what my training goals are geared towards.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30
Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

I was in the same boat. Went from lifting and running to Crossfit exclusively for a couple years, then wanted to work on my strength more so I decided to do strength AFTER the WOD but I was always fatigued, so switched to strength at home (also have a nice setup of my own) and a couple WODs per week. But, the WODs were hindering my lifting because of soreness/fatigue, or were just conflicting with the body part I needed to work the next day, etc.

Then I started picking lifting over WODs and (coupled with a few other things) started to just not feel the Crossfit itch anymore, which led to me thinking about the cost, which led to me quitting.

So now I'm lifting at home and doing a couple met-cons at home, and sinking $125/month into equipment, which is FUN. I have a lot of stuff now, and getting more and more.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Evan Pennington

Profile:

Get on a good strength program if thats what you like to do. There are many of us here who are strength athletes first, and crossfiters second.

Use the WOD's as your GPP, and build your strength back up.... as simple as that!