CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
Adam Burella

Profile:
Hey everyone, any suggestions/comments/advice on my current diet would be greatly appreciated.

I'm 21, 5'6, 165-170 lbs (~15-18% bodyfat) and this is what I've been eating:

Breakfast:
bowl of slow cooked oatmeal
2 handfulls of almonds
2 tablespoons of raisons

Lunch:
flax seed bread with tuna and light miracle whip
cup of baby carrots

Dinner:
Chicken breast (bbq or pan fried with olive oil)
Lettuce w/ olive oil and vinegar
OR
bowl of microwaved vegetables

Snack before bed (if I'm hungry):
1 whole egg and 2 egg whites
1 piece of fruit
Old 04-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Adam,

Quantity and quality are important when it comes to food choices. Any chance you could provide a little more detail? For example, for lunch, how much tuna are you eating? Your food choices look decent enough but without knowing how much of each type of food you're eating, it's tough to make solid recommendations.

If you can post specific quantities, that will help the board members give a better evaluation.

Briefly, though, your breakfast is completely absent of protein, which is suboptimal for elite performance (you should get protein in every meal). You also might want to throw another small meal into the mix--this will be easier to determine once we see specific quantities for your protein sources, though.

Also, what are your performance goals? And are you trying to maintain your body fat percentage? Or drop it?

In short, give us some more details.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-02-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Adam Burella

Profile:
Hey Mike, thanks for the response.

My goals are to get my bodyfat % from 15-18 to under 10% while maintaining muscle and improving my on each WOD (just started crossfit 3 WODs ago).

Regarding breakfast, I thought the almonds I eat during breakfast gave me the protein I needed.

Here's my diet again with a bit more detail:

Breakfast:
cup of slow cooked oatmeal
2 handfulls of raw almonds
2 tablespoons of raisons

Lunch:
2 slices flax seed bread
can of tuna
2 tablespoons of light miracle whip
cup of baby carrots

Dinner:
Medium sized chicken breast
2 cups lettuce, maybe 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and a bit of red vinegar
OR
2 cups of microwaved vegetables

Snack before bed (if I'm hungry):
1 whole egg and 2 egg whites
1 pear OR 1 apple (sometimes I skip the fruit)
Old 04-02-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Adam Burella

Profile:
I also just wanted to mention that I'm completely open to new suggestions for meals or recipes. :happy:
Old 04-05-2005, 08:57 PM   #5
Mike Minium

Profile:
Adam,

Thanks for providing the additional details.

A few comments:

I would highly recommend taking a shot at the Zone diet. In addition to some of the great posts on the Zone here on the message board (e.g., see this thread for an example of someone who logged their meals for all of us to see), I'd recommend ordering the CrossFit Journal on the Zone (Issue 21, The Zone and Meal Plans, May 2004). It will give you everything you need to construct a healthy diet that will enable you to achieve elite fitness, in addition to giving you some simple, convenient recipes.

Regarding your specific diet, the almonds are definitely not to be counted as protein. They are fats (and a good source of monounsaturated fat, I might add). So you definitely need to add some protein (eggs might be an option) to your morning meal.

Are you doing the CrossFit workouts? If not, what are your workouts like? Depending on the nature of your workouts, I'm tempted to start you at 16 blocks of protein, carbohydrates, and fat per day. This works out to three 4-block meals and two 2-block snacks. It will definitely be an increase in the amount of food you're eating, but that shouldn't be an issue if you're doing the WODs.

As a side note, in case you're not already familiar with Zone terminology, a food block is the following:

7 grams of protein (P)
9 grams of carbohydrate (C)
1.5 grams of fat (F)

So for your 4-block meals, you'd be getting 28g P, 36g C, and 6g F. For your snacks, you'd be getting 14g P, 18g C, and 3g F.

Ask away if you have more questions.

Mike

Old 04-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #6
Adam Burella

Profile:
Hey Mike, I'll definitely pick up that journal issue.

I just recently started doing the WOD 3 on - 1 off (only done 3 so far). I have a few more diet related questions:

1) How does the zone 'feel' about veggies vs fruits? Lately I've been eating a lot of fruits as my carbs and almost no vegetables. I find it hard to incorporate them at every meal, especially when I'm on the go.

2) Regarding the blocks, how important is it that you get all three macronutrients at every meal/snack?

Quick unrelated question, I heard there was a recent issue that talked about the methodology coach uses to design the workouts. I'd love to get my hands on that one too. Do you know the issue #? I wish the webpage was more detailed. I'm going to suscribe but don't want to spend the money buying all the old issues (I'm a poor student).

Thanks for the helpful reply!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #7
Adam Burella

Profile:
I just calculated the calories of a 16 blocks/per day diet and it came out to 1240. That seems pretty low to me.

Adam
Old 04-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Adam Burella

Profile:
Also, the break down based on calories doesn't follow the zone 40-30-30 rule (I assume its based on calories).

17.4% fat
46.5% carbs
36.1% protein
Old 04-07-2005, 12:44 AM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Adam, the web page is pretty detailed. It even has a FAQ which lists all of the CFJs, among other things.