CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Gerry Dunn

Profile:
The Price of CF

I know this probably has been discussed but I did a search and can't find it.. So I've been checking around at the local boxes here and it seems that they are a bit pricey for a month.

Is it the norm to cost $100+ a month.. And one of them was offering a track I think.. Can someone explain?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Perry Eubank

Profile:
Re: The Price of CF

Funny I was just reading about this in an article someone on my Alumni FB page posted:

Quote:
3. It is too expensive. A Crossfit gym is like a regular gym but purposely dirtier and with all the expensive exercise machines replaced by ropes and iron balls. (Which is great!) It is far cheaper to outfit a Crossfit gym than a stupid commercial gym. Those savings are... whatever the exact opposite of "passed on to the customer" is. The normal gym closest to my house costs $40 a month. The Crossfit gym closest to my house costs $250 just to do the "on ramp" classes to be allowed to pay an additional $250 per month to take all the Crossfit classes you want. This is one reason that Crossfit tends to attract an outsized proportion of INTENSE POWER YUPPIES. (Which is fine!) Crossfit is too expensive, the end.
Read more here: (written use of the f-bomb so it's not WFS)
http://gawker.com/5928989/the-proble...,"height":2448

Log (WFS)
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Mike Kelley

Profile:

I love when this topic comes up.

A few things:
1) CrossFit is no way comparable to a regular $40/month gym. That gym's only goal is to make you a member. They actually hope you stop coming, but continue to pay. They don't want you there. Unless you are extremely motivated and know what you are doing, you will have minimal success at a globo gym (I should know, I used to be a trainer at one)

2) expensive compared to what? A regular gym membership does NOT include programming or training with a certified coach. CrossFit does and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than personal training. Lets think about this. Even if a CF gym is $200/month and you go just 3 times a week, that's $17 for each hour of coached training. Good luck finding anything that inexpensive (with coaching) at a regular gym.

3) I get that some people just can't afford it. It's all about priorities. Do you really need to eat out 3 times a week or buy that case of beer? If you want to do it, you can budget for it. Period. Lets not also forget that many CF Gyms have punch cards. Pair that with regular strength work at a low cost gym if you'd like. Eventually you'll be buying a full membership to CF. Promise.

Also, that article is bull****. Same crap pops up every now and then in a new wrapper.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

yep that price is normal for CF gyms. alot of reasons as to why. whether it is worth it or not is something each individual can decide for themselves. over the course of a year or two you could spend the same money and have a nice home gym, but then you don't have a trainer or group to workout with and if the stuff breaks you have to replace it. some people think it is worth paying the money to have a group to workout with, to have a coach, etc. some gyms are probably worth it and some aren't because some coaches and programs are good and some aren't. also, i know alot of people that complain about the cost, but then spend more than that each month on golf, or deer hunting, or driving fancy cars, or getting their hair and nails done, or going out to eat numerous times a week, etc. most people could easily shift the money from one place in the budget to easily cover the cost if they choose to do so. it is about priorities. if you are living in a way that is pinching every penny and honestly can't afford it, then just be honest with the gym owner and perhaps they will work with you. i know a young man in college that sweeps, cleans, etc to be able to use the gym he attends. i also know of a CF gym in my area that charges based on income. if you aren't comfortable with all the exercises, proper form, etc, then perhaps you could at least pay to get some on ramp classes, proper intro training, etc, and then you could simply follow a good program at a cheaper gym, there are alot of people having success doing programs in globo-gyms or their garage
Old 10-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Mike Darlington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
I love when this topic comes up.

A few things:
1) CrossFit is no way comparable to a regular $40/month gym. That gym's only goal is to make you a member. They actually hope you stop coming, but continue to pay. They don't want you there. Unless you are extremely motivated and know what you are doing, you will have minimal success at a globo gym (I should know, I used to be a trainer at one)

2) expensive compared to what? A regular gym membership does NOT include programming or training with a certified coach. CrossFit does and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than personal training. Lets think about this. Even if a CF gym is $200/month and you go just 3 times a week, that's $17 for each hour of coached training. Good luck finding anything that inexpensive (with coaching) at a regular gym.

3) I get that some people just can't afford it. It's all about priorities. Do you really need to eat out 3 times a week or buy that case of beer? If you want to do it, you can budget for it. Period. Lets not also forget that many CF Gyms have punch cards. Pair that with regular strength work at a low cost gym if you'd like. Eventually you'll be buying a full membership to CF. Promise.

Also, that article is bull****. Same crap pops up every now and then in a new wrapper.
^This. Also, I suggest people curious about joining an affiliate actually check out an affiliate rather than reading articles about them. Go see for yourself - maybe you'll understand the value once you do a community class or drop in for a visit.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

An IPHONE is 5x more expensive then other cell phones. Yet, I see people that don't have a pot to **** in, and have an IPHONE. MINE phone is 3 years old.

A MAC is at least 2-3x more than most other comparable computers. MINE'S a Toshiba that gets the job done.

A Range Rover is 3-4x more than the average automobile, and over the lifetime of the truck cost thousands more, on average to fix. Yet, people still buy them.

Grassfed beef, organic food, etc, etc, etc.

People will pay for what they see value in, even if others do not.

Something is only to expensive if you're not willing to pay for it.

It's a dumb argument to have about anything, however, please continue because it is very entertaining.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Snir Golan

Profile:

i pay about $180 a month and to me, it is very cheap price to pay for what i get. sure it is A LOT more expensive than the globo gym next to my house but with the globo gym, i don't get a kick *** coach that does the programming for me and helps me with everything i need. i don't get to be a part of the best community i have ever been a part of. i don't get the support i get from my CF gym.

and let's be honest here, is $200 or so really that much money for something that can change your life and gives you so much back? like someone before me said, it is all about priorities and if i had to, i would gladly give up some stuff like eating out, drinking, buying another useless toy etc.. for my CF membership.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

More important than price is return on investment.

I can't begin to tell you how many people I have met through Crossfit who left a traditional gym because they either weren't getting results, were bored, didn't know what to do, felt alone, etc, etc....

Once that is you, it really doesn't matter how much or little you are paying; you're not getting value from your dollar.

I pay significantly more for Crossfit than I did at the globogym that I left, but I experience none of the issues in Crossfit that I listed above. After three years of CF, I'm still getting results, am nowhere near bored, have a good idea of what I want to do next (goal-wise), have made lots of new friends, and more. I have a great time of it, and still look forward to each workout. I really don't see that changing either. Put all of that together, and I have no problem paying more for CF than I did at my old gym.

- Mark
Old 10-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

$100/month is probably only a price you can find in the landlocked smaller states of the US. Good luck finding that in any big metropolitan city. Figure $150-200/month, maybe $100-125 if you can some sort of college/FD/LE/Mil/EMT, etc discount.

I would wager not even 10% of affiliates offer punch cards. More like 3-5% at best, if that.

And this topic has probably made epic threads at least 3 times, if not 5 times since I've been on the board.

Having said that, I'm kinda bored right now in lazy mode so I'll add fuel to the fire.

Per hour what you are paying is a pretty good rate. 15-25 hours a month@ $150/month. That's like 5-$10/hr.

Cheaper than the movies. About the same as roller rink/Lasertag/bounce house. Probably cheaper per hour than a strip club (think cover fee+tipping the waistresses if you are going on the cheap).
Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Brian Strump

Profile:

You can get a burger from Burger King for 99c.

You can go to 5 Guys for $4.99. Five times more.

Or you can go here for $13.75. http://zaitzeff.com/ WFS

The list goes on and on. Some that go to BK couldn't imagine spending $5 for the "same thing" at 5 Guys. That's the "same thing" like most CF affiliates are the "same thing" as most globo gyms.

Speak with your wallet. You don't like it, don't pay. I feel bad for people that create blogs about how anything is too expensive. Health insurance, not included. That $hit is expensive!