CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-23-2003, 09:45 AM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
i started working out using the WOD about a month ago and switched to a paleo diet exclusively a few months ago. i have definately seen improvements in my strength and performance (used to maybe do 15 or 16 pull ups in on shot, and can now easily do 20, and fired off 22 after a climbing workout last week!)

but since i'm not doing much "heavy" lifting like i used to and i'm not eating everything in sight anymore, i am losing weight and, with the paleo diet can't seem to really keep it on, much less gain. i eat 6 meals a day with some sort of meat with each.

most people would be psyched to lose weight, but i'm 26 years old and 6'2". before i started i was at 172, and now i'm at 168, and around 7% body fat. the bodyfat thing is great, but i want to weigh around 172-175. what am i doing wrong?

also, i was wondering what the rest of you guys eat for a meal. i've been doing the paleo thing for a few months now and am getting bored with my diet. any suggestions, for meals?b also, suggestions for snacks would be great too. i'm always hungry!

thanks!

scott
Old 01-23-2003, 10:05 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott- Check out the thread where i talk to coach about this...it is actually the caloric restriction thread. If you are at the BF level you want start adding extra fat from olive oil and other good sources. Once your BF levels are low you are more likely to partition the excess calories into muscle vs fat. John berardi talks about this over at www.testosterone.net

for meal ideas check out www.paleodiet.com they have hundreds of recepies there...just keep in mind that even if it is paleo food the fat/carb combo can be a killer...literally!

btw-I often add up to 1/4 cup of olive oil to my meals...that is about 270 g of fat which is 2430 additional calories!! im not sure how great this is for life extension but I am getting bigger and stronger while being lean. let me know how it goes.
robb
Old 01-23-2003, 10:48 AM   #3
Scott Parker

Profile:
other than oils and nuts, what else can i eat that has high fat content?

if you don't mind, i was curious what your standard meal plan for a day is; what you eat and how much of it for a day? i swear i eat more than anyone i know but i can't keep the weight on. it's a constant battle! get back to me in a few years when i'm thirty and i'll probably be complaining about the opposite!

scott
Old 01-23-2003, 11:02 AM   #4
Scott Parker

Profile:
robert-

checked out testosterone.net, in particular an article anout the skinny bastard diet (that's me for sure!) wasn't too stoked about their suggestions for foods to eat to gain weight. they sugested things like fat free cookies, candy etc.! it took me a while to kick the sugar and i'm sure as hell not going throught that again! or maybe i should?! i don't know-i'm really confused.

are their major differences in say the zone diet and paleo diet?

scott
Old 01-23-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
When you get down to it the zone and paleo diet are essentially the same. Dont go near the skinny bastard diet. Check out john berardis massive eating 1 & 2 on testosterone.net

Eat clean food, take in some serious calories, and get a neuroendocrine response from crossfit. Nature will do the rest.
Robb
Old 01-23-2003, 10:31 PM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:
what is neuroendocrine response? since i'm really new to a lot of this i have some things i've been thinking about and have a few questions:

for each of my 6 daily meals i will always eat some form of meat (usually flank steak, wild venison, fish, or chicken) and then supplement it with a pile of sauteed veggies cooked in olive oil and spices/seasonings (i.e. garlic, pepper, tabasco, cumin, etc.)

also for one the my daily meals i have been consuming a myoplex shake because for one reason or another, usually it's because i'm at work and can't cook or really even stop to eat.)

i know i'm gettin enough protein, but i'm not sure if i'm getting enough fat and carbs.

i was told that eating this much protein dosen't really do anything because your body can only process a certain amount every hour or so, so essentially the protein will be converted and stored as fat, right? so then wouldn't this fat be burned as energy if your were fat-adapted and didn't consume large amounts of carbs, or is it just wrong think of it this way and to consume this much protein?

also, i have found myself lately eating a ton of fruit, and have read that i should only be eating moderate amounts. i usually eat the fruit because i get cravings constantly, even after a rather big meal of meat and veggies. what else can i eat? since i'm at my desired bodyfat, should i stick to nuts more? if so, are there any nuts to avoid? obviously i avoid peanuts and have been eating a lot of wallnuts without any oils or salt.

all in all i have been very pleased with the results from this diet so far. eventhough i am relatively thin, i have shed fat and become leaner which is definately good. i don't get the up and down feeling i used to get since i started eating this way, which i can probably attribute to cutting out the sugar. my only complaints are not being able to keep the weight on and constantly being hungry, even after i literally stuff myself on meat and veggies.

i have been thinking about introducing bread back into the my diet as a way to get more carbs, but don't think it would be the best thing to do.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

scott
Old 01-24-2003, 08:49 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott-
Chack out the foundations page for neuroendocrne response.

Your protein is sounding fine...to puff up the calories and increase your satiety add up to a 1/3 cup of olive oil to your meal after cooking. If you do not feel wonky after eating fruit and you are not gaining fat it is likely fine.

If youadd amore dense carb source in make it yams...they are very nutritious (about anything with a bright color is) Bread really offeres nothing nutritionally.

Are yoou hungry as in "shakky and irritable" or hunrgy as in "wow...time to eat"?
robb
Old 01-24-2003, 09:44 AM   #8
Scott Parker

Profile:
no, i don't feel wonky after eating fruit.

i've been avoiding yams and sweet potatoes because i thought you were supposed to avoid them on the paleo diet. good news for me though because i love 'em!

and to answer your question, no, it's not a shaky and irritable kind of hunger, which is how i used to feel when i was eating sugar. it's more like, damn, i just stuffed myself 10 minutes ago and i'm hungry again.

thanks,

scott
Old 01-24-2003, 10:17 AM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
That all sounds fine...just keep adding olive oil. The weight will come!
Robb