CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
Ari Hamilton

Profile:
If any ladies can answer .. guys welcomed too

I started CF mid July going 5x a week. I have not lost any weight, well just the first couple weeks lost about 5lb and now I'm back to my original weight. I'm 5'3 133.5lb (as of today) BF 23% 31 yrs old. I notice more muscle in arms and legs (and I have gotten stronger) but nothing around my waist and this is where I need to lose the most. My clothes fit the same. My diet is pretty good. I cheat with wine a few times a week. I'm not following Paleo. Here's a sample of what I ate and will eat today.

I sleep 6-7 hours

6:30 am - bowl of oatmeal w/unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 tbls flaxseeds, 1 tbls sliced raw almonds, cinnamon and 1/2 banana

9-9:30 am - pear

12pm - a chicken breast, with a bowl of veggie soup (used organic low sodium broth)

2-2:30 pm -a cucumber w/a little lime and a little sea salt

I try to snack on a fruit typically around 4:45 because I go to CF @5:30 and I'm hungry but can't eat too much before working out

7pm - after CF I have a Organic Hemp protein shake w/unsweetened vallina almond milk and the other half of the banana.

Am I not eating enough or eating too much fruit???

I'm fine with not losing weight if I build more muscle but my belly is not leaning out ... any help/advice is greatly appreciated.... Oh and I'm a girl ... some boys are named Ari too. thx!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:
Re: If any ladies can answer .. guys welcomed too

I'd swap the oatmeal for 3-4 eggs and see how that does for a few weeks.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Josh W Smith

Profile:

If you have added muscle, and your weight has not changed, then you have been losing fat. keep at it and it will come off. have you noticed anywhere other that your waist becoming slimmer? maybe in your face, arms, etc. it is common for women to "store" more fat in their hips or backside. therefore that is the last place for it to go when trying to get rid of it. your diet looks pretty good, but try going paleo for a month and see what happens. good luck.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Hi Ari

I can only tell you about my own experience in the last months or weeks.

Having a whey-protein-shake as PWO helped me recovering quicker...so far so good.... but I was not so happy with the shake as "meal replacement", even though it was of course good for "gaining time"..... then some people at my gym told me, I should try "real food" for post-workout....

Finally I started with paleo (strict) last week. My energy is huge now. As for working out-days I take some protein and fat (mostly chicken and avocado, no fruits, no veggies) about 1,5 hours before the WOD and right after the WOD I take protein with veggies (no fat). Have been doing this for 1,5 weeks now, so I can't really tell on the long term, but I've really felt ready for the workouts with enough energy to "go for it". After the workout I am not hungry, but still take the "PWO-food" or eat at least some of it for a quicker recovery.

Basically I upped my sleeping hours too to be between 7-8 and this also helped me. But I am still trying to figure out for myself and optimizing things here and there.

If you feel ok, the way you eat and fell you have enough energy etc., then I don't think, that there's something wrong. Nutrition is very individual. What works for others might not work for you and vice versa. I can't eat oatmeal for example... nothing works after that in my body... I eat 3 eggs instead

sunny regards from Zurich
Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Ari Hamilton

Profile:

Eggs ... what can I say ... not my favorite. I can't eat them unless I'm in the mood for them (which is rare). That's why I eat oatmeal. It also keeps me full longer in the morning.

I did do the Paleo thing for 30 days when I started CF but I always felt hungry and didn't have much energy so I went back to just trying to eat a what I think is a pretty healthy diet.

I guess I'll give it a little more time. My other thought was maybe doing some sprints twice a week besides CF for extra cardio. Would this be too much?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Most people doing paleo are hungry b/c the cut all the grains and don't replace it with anything. My wife love these chicken sausages at the store. They are very basic whole ingredients much to my surprise. Might want to check something like that out. Oatmeal is not a great food for weight loss. Very calorie dense. (I eat it to gain weight) Also, when I restricted my wife to 100g or less of carbs a day for 3 weeks before our wedding, she lost 5 lbs. Hope something I told you was useful.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Alison Webster

Profile:
Talking Re: If any ladies can answer .. guys welcomed too

Breakfast protein does not have to be eggs! Leftover protein is my usual choice. Or you can disguise the eggs with lots of nutrient dense veggies and good fat. (avocado, macadamia, hazel nuts, coconut oil, etc.).

Also, I eat Paleo and love it! I am not hungry all the time. If you are that means you need to adjust probably your protein and fat. Protein and fat are very satiating(spelling?).

Pre WO usually 15 - 75 minutes before I have small amount of protien(1/2 meal size like 1 hard boiled egg) and a small amount of fat (a few macadamia nuts). Gets your body ready to work. Sometimes sugars can send your body the wrong message to work out.

After WO I have 1 meal size serving of protein nutrient and more carb veggies like sweet potato and little or no fat.

The after WO meal is in addition to your regular meals an not to replace any of them.

Sorry didn't mean to ramble this seems to work for me.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Mike Johnson

Profile:

If a fellow crossfitter came to you and asked you advice about how to improve body composition and told you they were only eating 1200-1300 calories a day, what would you tell them?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Natalie L. Cox

Profile:

You need to eat fat to lose fat...your diet might be lacking there. You said you don't like eggs much, but have you ever tried them sweet instead of savory? I cook eggs in coconut oil, dried coconut flakes, and some stevia and cinnamon. It might sound weird, but if you are used to oatmeal and want to swap out with more protein and fat, that could be a way to do it.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie L. Cox View Post
You need to eat fat to lose fat...your diet might be lacking there. You said you don't like eggs much, but have you ever tried them sweet instead of savory? I cook eggs in coconut oil, dried coconut flakes, and some stevia and cinnamon. It might sound weird, but if you are used to oatmeal and want to swap out with more protein and fat, that could be a way to do it.
OR....wait for it....mix egg into your oatmeal for a protein delight!